MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel gauge will not read above the red led on my car. I know there's fuel in it as I put some in yesterday.

I have disconnected the battery to try a reset but no joy.

It did this a couple of times in August, but been fine since and that was when the tank was brimmed and it worked after 10 miles or so.

I realise the float unit is housed with the fuel pump, but how to test it's that not the wiring?

Do I disconnect it and see if the gauge reads full, as they used to in the good old days?

I'm loathed to assume it's the sender as they are not cheap as it appears you have to buy the pump too. Pulling the pump out without a replacement seems uneconomic too.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
The old trick was to disconnect the wire and earth it, if the wiring and gauge are ok the gauge should read full, if it does then its the float at fault, sticking or whatever.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the Mini has two fuel level senders, so it's unlikely both are broken (esspecially as the fault has occurred after leaving the car a coupke of days in the garage - went in fine, came out not working).

I've used the on dash test menu and test 6.2 - Show value of Fuel gauge:
1= both senders OK, 2= sender failure, 3=ti signal implausible (no reading)

My result is 3.

Test 6.0 shows the car can read levels from both sides if the tank, but they differ greatly.

I wonder if that's the issue and if so what's the cure?

·
Registered
18 Posts
what was your fix. i've had a similar problem where driving down the road with 3/4 tank it suddenly goes to empty and all the lights and bing bong noises go off then it goes back up to the level. it done this a couple of times about a month ago. i went out to my car this morning know last night i parked up with 1/4 tank and it says full tank, i drove down the road and the gauge was descending but only went to 3/4. I turned the car off and its back to full tank again. I just put 25 litres in the car so i do now have a full tank but I was wondering if anyone can shed light / help with mine and what your fix was as it may help me with my problem

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what was your fix. i've had a similar problem where driving down the road with 3/4 tank it suddenly goes to empty and all the lights and bing bong noises go off then it goes back up to the level. it done this a couple of times about a month ago. i went out to my car this morning know last night i parked up with 1/4 tank and it says full tank, i drove down the road and the gauge was descending but only went to 3/4. I turned the car off and its back to full tank again. I just put 25 litres in the car so i do now have a full tank but I was wondering if anyone can shed light / help with mine and what your fix was as it may help me with my problem
Sent you a DM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
k3fus I have same problem mate how did u do it??? Ta
Me too. 3/4 full when brimmed for the last 2 years or so, and last weekend started showing empty. Going to try disconnect the battery (though Ive no faith in this) and check our the test menus too. Unless you can enlighten me, ill be breaking out the multimeter this evening and checking if the sender units are getting voltage.

Step 1 though... check the fuses. :big_grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the test menu last night, and I too have this implausible signal code:

Unit recognises 17.7 liters in the left sensor, and 22liters in the right sensor

Unit can add the 2 together:

Unit gives me a "3", signal implausible response:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not really concerned, but you come on here asking for help and many people offer suggestions.
When you've found a solution you don't even let anyone know, that's the whole point of a forum like this.

So really, what are you doing here?
Go away you fool.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm with JohnnyC on this one. The whole point of a forum is to share, why is this such a big secret? How would you have liked it if people had replied to your request for help with "I know how to fix your problem but I'm not going to tell you"...?

Fortunately, my fuel gauge works so I'm not reliant on your knowledge but I think you're missing the point of this place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So a bit of info on what ive found out since. I did a drive in the car there with the diagnostic mode running on the fuel levels. The left level is fluctuating (fuel sloshing about), but the right level is set in stone at 22 liters. Ive a few theorys. Either a wire is snagged, and being grounded/not grounded somewhere, or the something's up with the sensor itself. Unfortunately I need a multimeter to check out both (other than visually looking) so ive a few days wait before I can get my hands on one.

Pulled up the carpet a bit under the back seats (passenger side) and I can see the wiring going into the pump, but nothing suspicious looking. Im going to open up the right inspection port to see if anything is loose there, and if not ill try taking off a few plastic panels to chase the wires a bit more. Beyond that I really want to get a multimeter so I can A) check for continuity and voltage at the points, and B) pull out the fuel sender unit and check its resistance.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Pulled up the carpet a bit under the back seats (passenger side) and I can see the wiring going into the pump, but nothing suspicious looking. Im going to open up the right inspection port to see if anything is loose there, and if not ill try taking off a few plastic panels to chase the wires a bit more. Beyond that I really want to get a multimeter so I can A) check for continuity and voltage at the points, and B) pull out the fuel sender unit and check its resistance.
Just so you know, there's a second fuel level sender on the drivers side too on the fuel filter housing.

BMW did tell me that one is for the high level, and the other for the low level, but personally I'd take that with a pince of salt.

This is with the fuel pump removed, two fuel lines and an electrical connection for the fuel level sender.

I do know that if either fuel level sender is broken, then the fuel guage doesn't work, and the 'range' on the computer shows as '---'.

However, as your test shows that the car does know about the fuel levels then this is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm with JohnnyC on this one. The whole point of a forum is to share, why is this such a big secret? How would you have liked it if people had replied to your request for help with "I know how to fix your problem but I'm not going to tell you"...?

Fortunately, my fuel gauge works so I'm not reliant on your knowledge but I think you're missing the point of this place.

Thats why helpped all 3 people via pm who asked me to sort it? Get your facts right before jumping on someone elses band wagon. Its not as simple as writing some instructions.

Pity it cost me over £150 to find it out myself wehen no one could be bothered to help me, much like my requests to help with the windows and roof operation on my car.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just so you know, there's a second fuel level sender on the drivers side too on the fuel filter housing.

BMW did tell me that one is for the high level, and the other for the low level, but personally I'd take that with a pince of salt.

This is with the fuel pump removed, two fuel lines and an electrical connection for the fuel level sender.

I do know that if either fuel level sender is broken, then the fuel guage doesn't work, and the 'range' on the computer shows as '---'.

However, as your test shows that the car does know about the fuel levels then this is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.
Thast was my ininitial assumption, if the sender is disconnected or broken it would read zero, but when i tested one it works the opposit way, so it reads full when broken or disconnected not empty.

See its not simple to solve and requires conversation! Not all car wiring is the same so to blanket the solution could be dangerous.

I never refused anyone who asked for help.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thast was my ininitial assumption, if the sender is disconnected or broken it would read zero, but when i tested one it works the opposit way, so it reads full when broken or disconnected not empty.
Explain how when I had installed a brand new fuel pump, the fuel guage read as empty? The fuel level sender on the pump was broken, another new pump installed and everything worked.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts