MINI Cooper Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok so took the clip connection off the passenger-side float sender unit, under the back seat. These are the pics showing.
Now unplug the connector off the fuel pump/sender and do fuel levels again, that will determine which side it is.
Lift out the RHS (drivers side) unit, that houses the fuel filter, and check the black and green wires that connect to the other unit. They are very fiddly to lift out, just keep tilting and turning it slightly. Be careful of bending or damaging the float, it can be lifted up enough to check the wires.
I will do that now.
come back to you soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lift out the RHS (drivers side) unit, that houses the fuel filter, and check the black and green wires that connect to the other unit. They are very fiddly to lift out, just keep tilting and turning it slightly. Be careful of bending or damaging the float, it can be lifted up enough to check the wires.
Wires all ok and connected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So the pump wasn't the problem, I feel there has got to be a break in a wire. The pump is the passenger side and the filter the drivers side???? Is that correct?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you check the two earth/negative wires in the rear passenger footwell?. The two wires connect to one black negative wire (they sometimes corrode). Pull the carpet down and remove the plastic sleeving on the wires to see if they have corroded/rusted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you check the two earth/negative wires in the rear passenger footwell?. The two wires connect to one black negative wire (they sometimes corrode). Pull the carpet down and remove the plastic sleeving on the wires to see if they have corroded/rusted.
All the wiring seems ok..
Do you think it might be the cable under the black tape that’s dodgy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the pump wasn't the problem, I feel there has got to be a break in a wire. The pump is the passenger side and the filter the drivers side???? Is that correct?
Yes the pump is drivers side. It does have a float on it to. The passenger side is the sender unit. It has 2 floats on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would you no if there is wiring under the car? Or is everything confined inside?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take the inner sill plastic trim off and peel the carpet down, passenger side rear footwell. This will give you access to the wiring loom. Unravel the tape and you will see all the colour coordinated wires, you are looking for two black wires that connect to one black wire (shrouded by a transparent plastic coating) . Check these connections have not coroded/rusted away. The two sender units and the fuel gauge will be fine, it's what connects all three together....the wiring!.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take the inner sill plastic trim off and peel the carpet down, passenger side rear footwell. This will give you access to the wiring loom. Unravel the tape and you will see all the colour coordinated wires, you are looking for two black wires that connect to one black wire (shrouded by a transparent plastic coating) . Check these connections have not coroded/rusted away. The two sender units and the fuel gauge will be fine, it's what connects all three together....the wiring!.
Is it this one? Seems ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Think I found it...
Took the black tape off the wires from the sender (in pic) and found it was broke and wet. Going to fix it and try it.
will come back to you on the update.
It’s FIXED!!!!

TexM, you were right with the earth under the tape in the last pic! Can’t believe I never thought of taken that off the last time.
Thank you again for all your help and hopefully this will help someone else down the line.

message me if anyone is stuck and I’ll try and help, like it was given to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm happy it's working for you. It took me 3 days to fix the wife's mini, very annoying if things don't work as they should.
What's a " cockwomble " ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
TexM - I have been following your solution which sounds likely to be my issue. Can I ask - on menu 6.2, were you getting error 2 - Sender Failure?

I am getting error 2 which I think tells me that the gauge can communicate with the pump (therefor not the wiring between pump and gauge). I have replaced the pump and still have a dead gauge, so I was thinking it must be the communication between the Fuel Filter side and the pump (or a broken sender at the Filter side).

I had read somewhere never to take the filter unit completely out. Did you manage to get it fully out for the repair?

Thanks in advance!

81 - 100 of 124 Posts