MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
Sorry for what might seem a daft question but if I put a JCW Stage 1 kit on a Cooper S will I have to then run it on 98 fuel.

Similarly does the new R56 Works run on 98 only or can 95 fuel be put in it?

Cheers
Hi Beastmaster

I have only ever used 95 in mine. I have had a R56 S with the stage 1 and used 95 and in my current factory works use 95. I do believe that if you want to spend the nearly 10p per litre more the performace is slightly better.

Simply put 95 works a treat.

WD

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mines only had 97 so far - but am sure once the novelty has worn off i'll put normal in it at some point. Your never really going to notice much difference unless you are really thrashing it - and a said by picard it'll run fine on whatever you put in it.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Ive only used Tesco 99 Super unleaded in mine from new, apparently this petrol did well in most tests.. I dont do many miles so cost diffrence for me isnt a factor.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Its like the previious JCW Ade. Can run on 95 but will run better on 97+

The old GP will run on 95 but it probably feels like a bag of nails if its like my tuned S. You'll be fine one either but the 97+ is safer due to better burn, cooler cylinder temp (due to higher octane) and so less risks of pinking (although this is unlikely anyhow)

·
Registered
851 Posts
The tuning kit runs fine on standard petrol and I'd assume the factory car is no different.

I've done almost 20,000 miles on the tuning kit and it runs as it should. It is not tuned to run only high octane as aftermarket solutions could be. I used Tesco and Asda fuel mainly, whatevers cheapest... :D

Running Tesco 99 gives a small performance increase but not worth paying for IMO.

·
Peanut Groupie
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its like the previious JCW Ade. Can run on 95 but will run better on 97+

The old GP will run on 95 but it probably feels like a bag of nails if its like my tuned S. You'll be fine one either but the 97+ is safer due to better burn, cooler cylinder temp (due to higher octane) and so less risks of pinking (although this is unlikely anyhow)
Strange my JCW kit on the 53 came with definite instructions to run it specifically on 98 octane. My take from the comments so far is that the old one ran like a bag of the proverbial if you used 95 but with the new R56 Works the petrol grade is not an issue.

Thats about right isn't it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
97 from new

I've run my new Cooper S + JCW kit only on 97 from Texaco - no problems to report and it's not that much different in price - particularly cheap compared to diesel for my Grand Picasso. Can't speak for the performance but isn't it supposed to be kinder to your engine or have I just swallowed the manufacturers hype?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Okay, so my first tank of fuel is nearly gone, so the question is, in a new factory JCW, from now on would you use:
Tesco Super Unleaded,
Shell Unleaded,
or
Shell V-Power Super Unleaded?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Always fill my cars with Tesco 99.... when I get caught and have to fill up with 95 the car feels so different, like its been strangled!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I must admit I've been using Shell Premium 95 for the last two fill-ups or so, and tonight filled with Total 97 Excellium and it's now returning over 40mpg compared to 35.9, but it feels a little lifeless. Tonights drive to a mate's house 11 miles away may change that *mawhahaha* :puzzled:

·
Registered
347 Posts
According to the current factory JCW brochure, the recommended fuel for the JCW hatchback and JCW Clubman is 91-98 RON (page 47, inside back cover).

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I got a voucher through last weekend, from the V-Power club, offering £3.50 off my next fill, so that kind of settled it for now. :)

·
www.tiovicente*****
130 Posts
Okay, so my first tank of fuel is nearly gone, so the question is, in a new factory JCW, from now on would you use:
Tesco Super Unleaded,
Shell Unleaded,
or
Shell V-Power Super Unleaded?
I'd avoid supermarket fuel like the plague, due to the lack of detergents they use - there's a reason why its cheap as evidenced by all those cars that broke down last year using Tesco/Asda's finest!

Try both Shell 95/98 and make your own mind up but I would say there's a placebo effect (that many won't admit to) when using some of the higher octane fuels and although you may find some benefit (modest BHP increase) its not something you can actually feel.

The only time I've noticed a difference was with a highly modified Impreza I was running but this was specifically mapped to run on Shell Optimax as it was then, whilst changing to another fuel really did make a difference.

·
just one mod to go now
97 Posts
I use Tesco 99 unless i'm in a part of the country where its difficult to get, when I use Vpower or BP Ultimate.

For those interested its chemistry is detailed here: Greenergy International Ltd - Tesco 99 Octane. (scroll down for the forecourt stuff)

For me its an easy and cheap way of maximising the performance of my JCW kit MCS.

I've not tried BP's 102 yet, the special coded pump at my nearest garage in Milton Keynes wasn't working when I tried this weekend. The price was an astronomic £2.44/litre, so I don't see the BP102 becoming a day to day fuel :biggrin:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts