MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had facelift for 2 weeks now, loving it :D .. Has anyone noticed that some brands of petrol seems to make mini run better than others.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've not noticed different brands making a difference, however I only went back to using 'normal' unleaded once after using Shell Optimax. It's more expensive, but you get more MPG and the car is more responsive. That's in a Cooper, I'm sure you'll get similar results with your S. The other fuel to try if you've not got a local Shell garage is BP Ultimate - another super unleaded.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've not tried the Shell Optimax or Vpower as I think it is called over here yet. I know you are supposed to get better consumption and performance with the higher Octane fuel.
I'll probably try it next time I fill her up although she's not run in yet, so I'm not supposed to cane it!

It'll only encourage me to rag it more if I know the better fuel is in it.

·
1veryhappyowner
90 Posts
I tried Shell optimax for a couple of weeks running and noticed that it does make a Cooper run smoother and also when you have the air con on and take your foot off the accelerator the car seems to maintain speed better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers

Ok thanks all..........off to fill up now hunting for bp or shell garage. cheers bladeone

·
Registered
32 Posts
SHELL NO!

I tried shell after reading a similar thread (still have half a tank of it)...and it made the car feel sluggish.

I've found that BP ultimate is the DADDY!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Mr Simpson said:
SHELL NO!

I tried shell after reading a similar thread (still have half a tank of it)...and it made the car feel sluggish.

I've found that BP ultimate is the DADDY!
There must have been some dirt in the petrol or something wrong with your car - ive run both my MCS's on Shell Optimax - some 35,000miles in 2 cars and found it to be far better than BP's Ultimate - didnt really see any gains at all with the BP ( well maybe a little over ordinary unleaded) and tried it several times. Optimax does exactly what it says on the tin so to speak - Myself and the majority of others on here will recommend Optimax - ive also found that the more MPG I get out of using Optimax and the better response from the car out weigh the extra cost.

·
All Shiney :)
163 Posts
i found the opposite really !! i run mine on optimax and the difference is HUGE compared to normal cheapy 95ron, BUT when i tried a few tanks of bp ultimate it felt different..almost like it wasnt very happy with the fuel and it showed a quite low miles before the tank was going to run out??

i always reset the OBC when i fill up and usually get 31~32mpg avarage (according to OBC) but with BP i was only averaging 29ish ??? so i only use optimax now ! !

besides its an extra 5p on a litre, couple quid on a tank full, worth the extra if its prelonging the life of your engine surely?

Andy..

·
Registered
32 Posts
interesting! do you think it could be because its the 05 model?

I'll stick with the Shell for now as you all cant be wrong, i'll run the tank empty and fill up with Shell and see how it goes... Not worried about MPG just want power, and so far BP has been the best for me! its 98 octane (i think thats right), weird.

I doubt theres anything wrong with my car though, a little over the top!

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
Mr Simpson said:

I'll stick with the Shell for now as you all cant be wrong, i'll run the tank empty and fill up with Shell and see how it goes... Not worried about MPG just want power, and so far BP has been the best for me! its 98 octane (i think thats right), weird.

as far as I know Ultimate is 97 and Optimax is 98:0

optimax is defo the better of the two I did a little test he other week and that confirmed it;)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Mr Simpson said:

Give the Optimax another go - lol sorry didnt want to upset you - if your car is a brand spanking new model then I doubt there is anything wrong with it - maybe a duff batch of Optimax you got ?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've never bought Shell gas before, but I saw a TV commercial for V-Power last night; is that going to be the same or similar to Optimax (U. S. market)?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
RickB
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing