MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help please.
As many of you know I now live in Italy and drive (down here) a LHD UK registered GP which is currently insured with Norwich Union at £395 Fully comp. The problem is, that like most UK insurance policies, Full European Cover is only valid for trips not exceeding 90 Days. I can not bring the car back to the UK every 90 days

What I have been searching for is an Insurance company who will provide FULLY COMP insurance on a UK registered car with UNLIMITED time in Europe.

So far I have had 2 Quotes
Clements.com = $ 3723 Circa £1900
Italsure.com = $ 3515 Circa £ 1800

As you can see it is not cheap.

DOES ANYONE KNOW of ANY OTHER COMPANIES who offer this type of policy.

Of course I have the option of registering the car in Italy - not a problem with the EU NMT law and the fact that the car fully complies as it is less than 6 months old and less than 6000 KM and I have all of the original Certificate of Compliance and other documents. HOWEVER insurance in Italy is crazy money, especially when you have no insurance history in the country - friends are paying € 1000 (£ 800) to 3rd Party insure a Zaffira.

I am currently exploring the 'going full Italian' route but need to have all of the options clearly costed out before I make my decision inside the next 6 weeks or so.

Any info would be most appreciated.

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
Assuming your friends' Zafira is registered in Italy and isn't a GSi and costs £800 for 3rd party, then £1800 to insure a UK-registered GP fully comp doesn't sound ott

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming your friends' Zafira is registered in Italy and isn't a GSi and costs £800 for 3rd party, then £1800 to insure a UK-registered GP fully comp doesn't sound ott
Yes I Agree - it is B...Y expensive to insure down here.

There are also other things to take into account that I did not mention in my first post such as Warranty, MOT, TLC etc.

Plus motoring offences on a UK car in Italy can lead to an interesting roadside debate - been there and done that one 2 weeks ago, the look on the cops face when I got out of the car on the 'wrong side' according to registration plate was a picture, but then he thought I had somehow 'cloned the car'. Good result in the end with just a warning.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alan,

Liverpool Victoria now do 180day Euro cover, still a pain, but better than your current 90 day.

http://www.lv.com/mkt/lv/car&targetgroup=lvppc&telephone=0800 756 8020&sourcecode=WLSL&qqreferrer=lv

This company are advertising 365 european cover as standard...

eCar Insurance - Welcome to eCar Insurance

Thanks Jon
There is one significant problem with both of these - main Residence must be UK. It is the same with RAC and Caravan Club who both do 180 day policies, plus some 180 day policies are MAX 180 days in any one year, so you can not come back to UK once a year and then go out again for the next 6 months.

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
This post on another forum is about Spain, rather than Italy, but some of the points may be germane to your situation.

It also might be worth making enquiries with Direct Line, as they have an Italian subsidiary.....

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
I suspect that this requires UK residence and all that, but may be worth a call.

From the front page of the Telegraph motoring section yesterday...

'Our car insurance covers Europe 365 days a year.'
'Our agents are local, our protection is far from it'

Placed by NFU Mutual.
nfumutual.co.uk
0800 197 1311

Might only apply to tractors though. :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
also Snowie, does your car not need to leave italy at least once every 6 months so you don't have to register it there.

To be honest, its LHD so you will always pay more over here, your driving in the most dangerous , no actually second most dangerous country ( bulgaria is number 1) in europe. Plus as out of country more chance of insurance being exposed to fraud. Its just an underwriting and risk question and in my opinion £1800 for what you have specced seems more than reasonable. Most people i know who live abroad but work in the Uk just havea registered car in the country of residence, so why not just register the car in Italy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts