MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Bare bones MCS.

Every time.

If I was on a budget and had a limit, and I could get and MCS with nothing on or any other MINI with nice bits and pieces, I'd take the MCS. Why? Because I really enjoy driving the MINI and got so completely hooked because of the fun of driving the car, and to me, the MCS with it's extra "kick" just cant be beaten for driving pleasure in the MINI world.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here Here

I totally agree. I had a cooper for just over a year before my current S, and although i had loads of fun in the cooper, if you're a keen driver the S is just in a different league. You can always add things like stereos and better wheels later on when you've saved more cash - although retrofitting things like a/c is a nightmare :mad: :D

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
MCS every time, the extra noise when accelerating hard did it for me, I knew within 2 minutes of the test drive I had to have one,

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Would imagine it depends on the person. Some people may not really appreciate how well the MCS drives or not care about the additional BHP etc. and would prefer to spend their money on having a really well specced MC. I have to admit that whilst I am really looking forward to getting my MCS next year, if I had to have one with out the Chilli pack I would be a lot more reluctant to swap my MC.

julesx

·
A mini is a way of life.
2,643 Posts
mcs wins hands down,but i would spec it with at least a chilli pack. i had a top spec cooper with every extra except sat/nav. i have now changed up to a mcs with only a chilli pack and no extras.l dont miss the extras at all,but i do have a big grin on my face every time i drive it.ohhhh and an empty wallet.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yup, MCS would be my choice too :cool: :D

Veronica :blblack:

·
Registered
201 Posts
For me, the MCS. If you enjoy driving, I think it's good value for the difference in cost over the MC. Things like leather, sat nav, etc. are pretty expensive but don't make the car that much more fun and useful, at least in my opinion. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I'd rather spend the money on an MCS with no (or few) options.

Mark

·
Clio 197 R27
2,235 Posts
I had a fairly highly specced cooper, and swapped to a mcs with just s spokes, chrome line and harmon kardon. I have not regretted it one bit, once your driving it you forget about the lack of gadgets! The car is absolutely great, the extra power is really noticeable, especially the torque from lower down in the rev range... and then there is the supercharger whine!!! just do it!! :D

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I suppose it all depends upon what you are looking for in a car. Are you an adventurerous driver or just someone who uses a car as a tool, like a screwdriver or a hammer, a means of getting from point A to point B. If the drive is just a necessity forced upon you because there isn't another method of getting there, then you should be in a standard MINI Cooper or perhaps a Saturn, or Yugo.

If the drive is the best part of getting somewhere, or no where, then you should consider the MCS. In the USA it is only a $3000 difference in base price. For that you get better internals in the engine (forged pistons, crank and connecting rods), a supercharger, intercooler, tighter suspension (including larger diameter anti-sway bars front and rear), very supportive sport seats, 6-speed transmission, and Ohhh yeah, a rear spoiler.

With the supercharger, you don't really need a stereo once you get above 3500 rpm as the music it makes is too good to ignore. Forget the leather upholstery as it is slippery and does not hold you as well as the stock fabric covers when you are rocketing around the corners. The fabric is also warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer, even in the Space cloth/Black combination (I know because that is what I have). Don't bother with the "climate control" system, how difficult is it to reach over and twist a knob. Forget the sun roof, it adds 60 lbs of glass at the top of your car, not where you want to add weight if you like to drive around corners, also because of the huge size it turns the inside into a "greenhouse" on a sunny day and that means you will be running the a/c all of the time. 17" wheels? Forget-a-bout-it! The 17" wheel options offered by MINI are rediculously heavy and add 6-7 lbs of unsprung weight per wheel (this is a very bad thing).

The added unsprung weight slows acceleration, lenghtens breaking, slows turn-in and direction change, and makes the ride rougher. Not to mention the lower aspect ratio tires degrade the ride because of the shorter sidewall of the tire that cannot adsorb as much of the road imperfections.

You must ask yourself what driving means to you. Then you will have your answer.

I chose the MCS because the drive is always the best part of going anywhere or just driving 300 miles to nowhere.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
LOL-Just to confuse things-I'd go for a Heavily loaded Cooper as I love my Gadgets if cost was an issue!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.