MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Edit] Sorry I posted this in First Gen instead of second. First time on the site :nerd:

I ran into an interesting conundrum. The rearview mirror in my 2012 Mini Cooper S has always created a bad blind spot for right turns due to my height. I thought I could simply pop off the rear view mirror and install a suction-cup style rearview mirror towards the bottom of the wind shield instead.

As it turns out this setup works great and was easy to install, but now my key fob isn't working to lock and unlock the doors (car still starts fine, and the doors lock and unlock with the internal switch.) After searching a bit, I found the receiver is in the rearview mirror...

So it looks like I'm either stuck with the original rear view mirror and a huge blindspot, or having to manually unlock my car every time I get in. Neither of which I'd prefer. Has anyone run across any clever solutions to this problem? I'd be happy to install some type of stand alone remote receiver if that's even an option.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The early cars had the receiver in the head-liner above the mirror, not in it.
Maybe you could remove the receiver from the old mirror & put it in the roof.
You might have to splice some wires.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is possible to remove the inner board and stash it in the headliner. The board can be accessed by using hard plastic like a trim remover to prise off the glass surround and the connector is a tight fit to get through the hole in the stem but it does fit with a shove. Wrap the board so it is insulated (poly bag maybe), route the connector in the headliner out the edge at top of windscreen and connect then slide the lot into the headliner space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS9ewyBsnzU

This will give you an idea how to do it and his alternative method of removing the switch panel to get the board hidden.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Scudder
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing