MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm seeking stories from the lighter side of life with CVT-equipped cars!

What are your funny or joyful or surprised experiences when driving the CVT?
- Comments from friends?
- Questions that made you laugh?
- Driving experience unique because of (or in spite of) the CVT?

A smile should be a minimum component. ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CVT-equipped MINI is the only model with a Selection labeled Park.

With the opening two posts taking us in a controversial direction, can anyone help this get back on track to other funny stories?

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
Well, weekend before last in the afternoon my wife and I were motoring home. We had just watched Spiderman 2 at the movie theater. We came upon a whole flock of geese crossing the road by the park, and had to stop abruptly and wait to let them pass. That only took about 30 seconds or so. It was fun to watch them. They hang out there on the edge of the park, and are on one side of the road or the other. :D

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
How many people have you gotten in your MINI? Well, yesterday, at work we got five people in the MINI on our way to lunch. :D

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
I park the MINI in a parking lot in my condo complex. A group of school girls pass sometimes and one in particular says she really really likes the MINI a lot. Later, I find that my car cover has a tag attached to it and someone wrote on the tag their name -- it was a girl's name. hhmmm I wonder..... :cool:

·
MINI2 somebody
911 Posts
nonsequitur said:
The CVT-equipped MINI is the only model with a Selection labeled Park.

With the opening two posts taking us in a controversial direction, can anyone help this get back on track to other funny stories?

"So it's like a giant rubber band?"

Comment from an MCS owner: "What's that number under your odometer reading... how come I don't have that on mine?" :rolleyes:

Comment from a JCW owner: "Damn, how does he keep up? He has an automatic!" :cool:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect come back, uptick!

"Waddayamean, six speed; only MCS has a six speed." - MCS Owner [wrong]

"Is your tach sticking? The needle isn't moving while we accelerate." - Track Day rider

"That's wild!" - another Track Day rider (about the constant engine note at 5500rpm)

·
Fershluginer Potrezibie
329 Posts
After a club run through some fast twisties, in which a 5-Speed Cooper and had a bit of a dice, (we were getting a li'l ahead of the pack), he IM'd me later that nite, and we both laughed about the fun time we had - then he asked what I had in Brooksie, and when I told him a CVT, his next message was in caps: "WHAT?" He was amazed by how well it seemed to "shift", and allowed that he had underestimated the CVT B4, but not any more! No quarter next time! Hehe!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
afromanbob said:
Well, how fast have you had it... hmmm....
I've only had her 90 for a few seconds. It didn't feel like 90 though, more like 70. Is this car cool or what. What I thought was funny about that girl at work asking me that, was that it was the first and only thing she said, as soon as she knew I had a MINI.

Yeah good comments on the 6-speed. Everyone is real shocked by that! :) and I'm amazed too!

·
Registered
158 Posts
the day after I got my MINI cvt I was taking off from a stoplight and had it in steptronic mode. As I was going from 1st to 2nd gear I stepped on the clutch. Well there is no clutch. The ABS did work very good though. good thing there wasn't anybody behind me.

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
A couple of times during/after playing on the twisties in steptronic mode, I would switch to Drive for whatever odd reason while at a stop sign/light, and then promptly forget that I did. As soon as I go again, I would switch into what I was thinking to be first in order to take off, only to put myself into neutral! Oops! :eek: :D

-Paul!

·
4,975 Posts
Paul! said:
A couple of times during/after playing on the twisties in steptronic mode, I would switch to Drive for whatever odd reason while at a stop sign/light, and then promptly forget that I did. As soon as I go again, I would switch into what I was thinking to be first in order to take off, only to put myself into neutral! Oops! :eek: :D

-Paul!
I did that once after moving in front of a big rig on the freeway. More scarey than funny.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happened this evening on the way home actually... Running down the high way minding my own buisness at about 70MPH and when I see I Red Honda Civic CRX (early 90's) behind me weaveing in and out of traffic. He catched us to me and decides to pass me and being that I was feeling alittle froggy decided to step down on it some and pace him. After about a mile of cruseing at 85MPH or so, he finally notices and and takes off. I hear the motor spool up through a god aweful fart can and decide to set down on it too to mess with him. Very much to my surprise I ended up over takeing him around 110MPH and showed him the oh so very sexy tail lights of the Cooper. Reached about 115MPH and shut it down as my exit was comming up (mind you fairly quick now, hehe). We both end up takeing the same exit and come to a stop at the first light. Im sitting there with a big ass smile of my face from haveing walked him like that when I knowtice his girl who is in the passenger seat eyeing my car. I roll down the window and asked him how it felt to get walked by a stock automatic 1.6L $16,000 Cooper. The guy looked so :bad::bad::bad::bad:ed off after I said that, but to make it worse the girl said to the guy "baby why dont you buy one of those instead of waisting all your money in this peice of junk?" Light turned green and he goes raceing off and I just let him go. Definatly made the highlight of my day!

Personal Disclosure: I do not condone the act of street raceing or anything to such effect and was very aware to the risk that I had other innocent peoples life's at risk. I would not recomind trying to repeat such an action.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To enliven this thread...

Let's split out something like "acceleration" that is distinctly CVT-related. What have people said about the tachometer not moving when they were riding with you?

·
I'm probably out motoring
397 Posts
nonsequitur said:
Let's split out something like "acceleration" that is distinctly CVT-related. What have people said about the tachometer not moving when they were riding with you?
When I had my car for just a week, I was following a friend around town. He was in his 86 Opel (Vauxhall) Corsa. When I overtook him at the traffic lights (it was hot, all windows down) he said to me on the phone: cool sound. I have just the stock exhaust but the engine tune at 5500rpm isn't bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
Spookyfish
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing