MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone recommend a company offering GAP insurance, want to make sure I get the best deal before picking up my car?

Cheers

Andrew

·
Making it add up
847 Posts
A google search should find you a number of possible alternatives. The MINI offering is very expensive ( and the dealer gets a sizeable commission for selling it).

When I picked up my R56 MCS I was subjected to enormous pressure to buy their GAP insurance. It was very annoying and made the handover a really unpleasant experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep seen google results - was just wondering if there were any specific recommendations - have a quote at a 3rd of the MINI option, luckily they weren't too pushy as I knew I would be shopping around

·
Registered
42 Posts
i ordered a new mcs yesterday and dealer pushed VERY hard to get me to take out the 3 yr gap insurance - at £521 im not surprised. he even said it was essential and i had to buy it there or then - when i said no, not enough time to think it over so i wouldnt be able to have it he suddenly changed his tune and said that 'of course i could buy it at handover when i paid the balance' :D

however, while its a good insurance to have i suspected it was well overpriced...but was surprised just HOW overpriced it was.

a quick look around online and can get cover to exactly the same level for around £130 - a quarter of their rip-off price!

there are several, but im going for car2cover Gap Insurance, low prices and instant on-line cover. Fast FREE quotations. - very comprehensive, and good pricing.

dont buy mini's own cover, whatever you do!!! talk about inflating the price - no wonder he was so desperate to have me buy it there and then!

·
Hot Chocolate Roll Call
21 Posts
I bought Gap from my clubby from the dealer a £390 although it was most expensive i felt that for security and peace of mind i would rather buy it from mini directly,i have seem some horror stories of people thinking they have bought gap online and then it turns out they have given £150 or more to a conman,also the level of my cover was 3 years and upto i think £20k and the equivalent cover elsewhere was still over £300 so i personally prefer to get the mini gap. If it is cheap it is cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
its exactly the same cover as through MINI, for the £130 (and thats pretty much the average online price) you get 3 yrs cover and that would cover any gap up to £20k, as you state.

if you go for any decent online company its covered completely by the FSA guarantees with regards to peace of mind for your money anyway :)

its rather the other way round with the argument - its expensive through MINI, simply because you're getting it from them - they get the gap insurance from another company, whatever they call it, so of course they have to add a chunk on top to make their cash - you're paying a premium price solely for that reason.

but if someone is happiest to get it direct from them and pay more then thats cool, we all make our choices :)

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
i got mine through surf and protect Online Peace of Mind from SurfandProtect.com - it is underwritten by AXA and i paid £126 for £10,000 of cover for three years. i had them price match click4gap which was a bit cheaper than the original quote but i couldn't see who was the underwriter.

obviously i haven't had to claim yet so can't say first hand how good they are, but i bought it on the recommendation of two people who used them and had the amount repaid in full with no quibbles when the insurance paid out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
that one sounds good - i think car2cover is underwritten by IGI Insurance, but cant go wrong with AXA and looks like they price match + £5 back so even better, thanks for the heads-up :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
i paid 500+ for my gap insurance for 3 years.
the salesman really been push hard for this issurance and the paint protection. all this cost me 980 pounds.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
i paid 500+ for my gap insurance for 3 years.
the salesman really been push hard for this issurance and the paint protection. all this cost me 980 pounds.
*falls of chair* :eek:

Ive never paid more than £299 for GAP insurance, and the paint protection..hmm...for what they actually do, its not worth it.....your salesman was well chuffed with themselves after that sale i'll bet! :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have not much ideal on what they had done on the paint now.
this is my frist mini, and i think i paid a lesson for it to mini dealer. (abit expensive):angry:

·
Registered
245 Posts
My dealer was trying to persuade me to take. £350 for three years, She said that given my car was highly specced (over-specced) it was worthwhile.

What do you think? Will I end up having a fight with my own isureres over difference in value between basic and fully specced? And (touch wood) haven't written off a car, or had one stolen for 20 years!

·
Registered
476 Posts
My dealer was trying to persuade me to take. £350 for three years, She said that given my car was highly specced (over-specced) it was worthwhile.

What do you think? Will I end up having a fight with my own isureres over difference in value between basic and fully specced? And (touch wood) haven't written off a car, or had one stolen for 20 years!
I think your dealer is trying to stick the arm in there, big time. I was quoted something similar when I went to pick mine up. I told her that I already had GAP sorted for a third of what she quoted me. Really shut her up!! I think mine was around £130 for 3 years with Click4gap and it was for Return to Invoice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gap Supplier

Judging by the date of posting you may have already purchased GAP cover but in case you are still looking I would take a look at ala.co.uk. Prices are very good and when I spoke to them they were very helpful answering all my questions.

They even advised I was taking too much cover and should buy a cheaper policy.

After purchasing they gave me a Promotional Code. PRM1072 which is for family and friends to get a discount. Feel free to try it but it may time out.

·
Neddytastic
72 Posts
Judging by the date of posting you may have already purchased GAP cover but in case you are still looking I would take a look at ala.co.uk. Prices are very good and when I spoke to them they were very helpful answering all my questions.

They even advised I was taking too much cover and should buy a cheaper policy.

After purchasing they gave me a Promotional Code. PRM1072 which is for family and friends to get a discount. Feel free to try it but it may time out.
So how much do you get in commission for each successful policy? :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts