MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to fit a gateway 100 to a 52reg 2003 MCS without steering control?

I want to control the IPOD via the IPOD and not the radio. I also want the lead to run to the front of the radio area so that I can have the ipod sitting there in a cradle.
Does anyone have a link to some instructions?

I can get it fitted near my house for £45 - worth it??

Have to order it today if I want it from the local place

Many thanks

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
You will need to remove the stereo following these instructions

NewMINIStuff.com DIY Guides

From there you just plug the unit into the AUX socket. Unit is strapped to some bracing below the dash. Wire can be run to wherever you like. Simple.

***Not sure where your unit will plug in as you won't have an AUX socket, I don't think so anyway.***
***Your stereo won't display text so you will probably want the screen somewhere visible -although I wouldn't recommend scrolling through your pod while driving***

Took twenty minutes to fit mine. Wouldn't pay for the privelige.

And can I recommend Mikey at NewMINIStuff.com. He's a site sponsor with service 2nd to none.

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need to remove the stereo following these instructions

NewMINIStuff.com DIY Guides

From there you just plug the unit into the AUX socket. Unit is strapped to some bracing below the dash. Wire can be run to wherever you like. Simple.

***Not sure where your unit will plug in as you won't have an AUX socket, I don't think so anyway.***
***Your stereo won't display text so you will probably want the screen somewhere visible -although I wouldn't recommend scrolling through your pod while driving***

Took twenty minutes to fit mine. Wouldn't pay for the privelige.

And can I recommend Mikey at NewMINIStuff.com. He's a site sponsor with service 2nd to none.
I dont understand - thought you just said I need to plug the gateway unit into the AUX socket behind the radio??

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Yes. Unplug the original harness. Plug the new one in. Plug the original into the back of that. At the other end of the new harness is a socket which connects to the Gateway unit. And out the otherside is the lead to your ipod. You'll probably find rthat the leads into the unit are plugged in anyway. So minimum one connection to make, max three if I recall correctly. Some cable ties to secure the unit to the dash bracing, and then you run the cable to your desired location.

Hardest part is getting to the back of the stereo following the instructions in the link above. Have heard rumours of being able to get to the plug by taking the glove box out but never tried.

It's all pretty simple if you take your time and be careful.

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much that's much appreciated.

Is it easier to fit if I want the IPOD to control the IPOD and not the stereo?

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
No just the same. The choice is a setting in the menu.

If that's all you want then there are cheaper options than the Gateway 100.

Like this that plugs into the headphone socket.

NewMINIStuff.com

This is what I had on my previous Cooper.

Fitting is still via the CD changer socket so the stereo still has to come out.

·
MINI2 Addick
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MAny thanks Humph I really appreciate all the help. I'd still like the ipod to charge so im thinking i should still go with the 100 gateway maybe.

Many thanks and all the best!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts