MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This warning light is on page 139 of the Clubman's manual, thought it's not Clubman related... In my case, I arrived home this afternoon and parked...suddenly there was an amber or yellow gear shaped warning light in my OBC with an exclamation mark inside! If you're interested or have experienced this there are two threads on NAM that address this, the main one is here: MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Amber Gear icon showing... sometimes with several Clubman owners posting...the Clubman forum's thread is: MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Gear shaped warning signal? Here are some photos:

My SA says it's probably fixed by being "reprogrammed" and I hope he's correct. I have to bring it in on Friday and wait...and hope..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update for anyone who has the misfortune of experiencing this warning icon:

At first I thought my car had healed itself overnight - but not for long...sometimes it only showed up after I'd stopped...now it is there at both the start up and stop...

Meanwhile, another MINI pal, got me to look at page 56 in the owners manual under VIEWING STORED CHECK CONTROL MESSAGES... After following the directions there, and pushing on the stalk's button multiple times I did find that my "control message" was stored...and as I held in the stalk button as the Gear icon showed...suddenly appeared the code CC 1D 348 (it was either a 1D or an ID)...so at least I know the error code is stored there for my trip tomorrow to my dealership.
___

·
Registered
191 Posts
HMM do you have a OBDC code reader? I see you have the nav system which looks sleek. Sounds like a switch issue (e.g. the car is in park but it doesn't think so).

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually those photos were not mine...I don't have the Nav (too $$ for me)... Nope, no code reader but at least the code is there. I'll be arriving at MoFC in Stamford,CT where they'll read it and hopefully have whatever they need in stock! ;) Will report back.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went up - they fixed it...had the code and everything...came home, stopped and voila - it's back!! I go in on 8/30 again - and will leave it and hopefully they'll get a new sensor or something. It's not a biggie...but it's slightly vexing.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I found the code myself by following directions on page 56...not that it told me anything - thought it's not the same code as what they're print out said..however I'm sure it's all related just different modes...

My print out says MINI Electrical..."Found code AOB6" (or it could be A0B6 -it's hard for me to tell the difference between that letter and number)- "Selector Lever Interlock need to perform SI 24-01-08 Perform SI 24-01-08 Adjust shifter cable per SI and Recheck OK"

Unfortunately, it just didn't do the trick. You can read more about it on that hyperlink I created to the link on NAM's site.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I certainly hope not. Honestly, it's hard not to second guess things however this is my third MINI from this dealership and I've never had any bad experiences...so I'm keeping the faith right now that all will be well. Promise to report back after 8/30.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, sometimes they do that on the advice of BMW/MINI's technical department. If a problem can't be easily traced or reproduced, then they'll advise to reset the trouble code and see if it presents itself again (to rule out any intermittent or single-incident faults that might just be flukes).

Our dealer did this when our check engine light first came on and they weren't able to locate the source of the "super fine leak" the trouble code was reporting. When the light came on again less than an hour after leaving the service dep't, they did a more thorough investigation and found the crack in the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where's the crying smilie when you need it?:frown:

You're probably right. The second visit had better be "the charm". At least this time I will not have to sit there and wait, but will be given a loaner which I will greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In terms of service..... NCM seems to be OK - I took my MINI in a couple weeks ago and left it for a few days (While on business); although the issue wasn't fixed (leaking window), I did receive a call from the dealer inquiring about the service and if I was satisfied. They seem pleasant enough and are sure to return calls.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what's the deal on the window leak - or I suppose that should be on another thread.

Meanwhile, here's a great post from a fellow MINI owner - not a Clubman but an automatic driver...MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Amber Gear icon showing... sometimes
Got my baby back from the dealer on Friday. I'm happy to say that they resolved the amber gear light problem. According to the service invoice, it was quite a job. Glad it was under warranty. Here is the SA's report as written on my invoice:

Tech inspected and verified that the yellow gear indicator light is on. Connected to GT1 and interrogated fault memory. Tech found relevant fault code A0B6 - selector lever interlock signal or value above threshold, currently not present, stored in the CAS module. Tech adjusted shift cable as necessary and cleared fault memory. Road tested and re-checked fault memory. Fault reoccurred, again not currently present. Tech placed order for SOP shifter assembly. Tech removed airbox assembly to access shift cable. Removed exhaust system to access heat shield. removed heat shield to access shifter assembly. Tech replaced complete shifter assembly due to internal sensor issues. Re-installed heat shield. Re-installed exhaust system. Re-installed airbox. Connected to GT1 and cleared fault memory. Road tested and re-checked fault memory. No CAS faults at this time. No gear warnings present at this time.

The part # ordered and replaced was: 1 25-16-7-577-589 Gearshift Assy, Steptronic:251030

I could definitely tell the work had been done as the transmission was tight and needed to be broken in again. Car is perfect now. Hopefully this info will help others having this problem.
I don't bring mine back in until 7/30...

·
Clubbing in Miami
109 Posts
The questions remains...will the replacement parts fix the problem for good, or they are just swapping defective parts with defective parts?

Holding off until we know for a fact that the new parts indeed solve the problem

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, so my MCCa was in for two days...but I had more than just the Gear Cog Warning light... They fixed a few other issues, but this is the Gear Cog thread so - this was my second time back...this time they readjusted the cable as per SI 24-01-08 on shifter cable three times to get adjustment correct. Recheck OK.

I was told that they had to follow what MINI's directions were...and if the light came back on again - then they'd have to replace it...but that it was said that sometimes a replacement is not needed. It was also explained to me that if they did not follow the MINI directives that they would not be paid for the work... Fortunately, I do no live far away. As it worked out there was a huge traffic jam on the highway...so I was crawling along until I finally switched to local roads...also very crowded (rush hour) and then finally started moving..very hot weather in my neck of the woods today...made it home fine and - so far now Gear Cog light... So we shall see, if I'll end up having to bring the car back in or not - hopefully not!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My MCCa is now living a "charmed" life - we've now hit the third time..that it shall be going in. I think that counts and should now allow my shifter to be fixed? Sure hope so.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
third time should qualify you under state lemon laws, if nothing else! sorry to hear about the problems .... :(

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks dakini, perhaps shortly there will be a recall for this, though I guess it depends upon the numbers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My vehicle is going in for the 4th time with this gear shaped warning. I have had my mini for 5 months and this will be the fifth time it has gone in for service since May. They replaced my shifter mechanism and it held up for maybe a month and the symbol came on again. I asked (emailed) my SA and said when will MINI USA say enough is enough and give me a new car. I did not get no response. I am getting to the point where I am ready to trade this car in,

·
Registered
64 Posts
My vehicle is going in for the 4th time with this gear shaped warning. I have had my mini for 5 months and this will be the fifth time it has gone in for service since May. They replaced my shifter mechanism and it held up for maybe a month and the symbol came on again. I asked (emailed) my SA and said when will MINI USA say enough is enough and give me a new car. I did not get no response. I am getting to the point where I am ready to trade this car in,

I’m with MINI USA. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts