MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

yesterday I was cruising along in my beloved Cooper S when I went to change up to 5 gear and the round top of my gear stick just popped right off ! Luckily it came off in my hand and so I popped it back on with a resounding click and it seems to be ok now.
Anybody had a similar problem and should it go to the dealer to be checked ? Seems to have clicked back into position now so assume it is safe ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments !

·
Registered
628 Posts
It has happened to a few people before. My first shift knob popped off quite easily. Later on, the plastic on top of the gear pattern peeled off so I got the shift knob replaced under warranty. The new one hasn't expressed any desire to pop off.

To minimize your chances of it popping off again, don't pull up when you shift :)

·
03 MCS Pure Silver / Blk
232 Posts
The gear shift knob is a compression fit onto the shaft. It generally takes quite a bit of pressure to pull it off. If it were mine, after it appeared to be seated properly I would bop it with the outside edge of my hand or lightly tap it back on with a rubber mallet. If you put it on too hard, it will be a bear to remove when you decide to replace the boot around the shifter with leather.... leather looks great :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guy's - Mini2 is always dependable as a source of reassurance :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Oldpaint
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing