MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have a 2004 Mini Cooper with the dreaded midland gearbox.
At the moment, and with 36,000 miles on the clock, the gearbox
seems fine.
However, in an effort to increase the gearbox longevity, and reduce
the possibility of gearbox problems in the future, i have decided to change
the gearbox oil.
Now, my Haynes manual says to use Texaco MTF94 oil.
The Halfords website says you can use Castrol SMX-S gear oil.
Ok, now the questions :)
1. Is it worth changing the gearbox oil?
2. Can i use Castrol SMX-S?
3. Is it better to stick with the Texaco MTF94??
Cheers guys,
Hope someone can help!
PS. If you did the oil change, was it worth it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi The gearbox oil is for life - so no need to change it. If you did change it and the car is under warranty, then should you get any gearbox problems you could end up in the **it!

If the car is not under warranty, then I dont see what harm it could do - but ensure you put the right type in, and that you drain the old fully first.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Don't believe BMW main dealers they won't be paying for the replacement of anymore 'Midland' gearboxes if yours fails. Definitely worth changing the oil if you want to extend the life of your gearbox! You will find lots of metal in the oil and on the magnetic drain plug waiting to grind up your bearings. So called 'filled for life' policy kills gearboxes and the manufacturers don't care as long as most of them survive to the end of the warranty period.
More info here:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-ge.../170777-midland-r65-gearbox-oil-mtf-94-a.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
hay im a mini tech and id defo recomend changing you gearbox oil! stick with MTF94, its a good oil, it is the BEST way to keep a gearbox if good running order.

an engine's oil gets filtered and presurised to help it work well. in a gearbox this dosnt happen. on my track car i change my gear oil every time i change the engine oil. on my road car every couple of years.

·
Cooper S Thruxton 240
51 Posts
Hi, I am also looking at changing my gearbox oil with the Texaco MTF94 oil. Just a few quick questions, My cooper s was made in march 04 so does this mean that it has the midlands gearbox apposed to the getrag? Also how many litres of oil will be required? cheers

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Hi, I am also looking at changing my gearbox oil with the Texaco MTF94 oil. Just a few quick questions, My cooper s was made in march 04 so does this mean that it has the midlands gearbox apposed to the getrag? Also how many litres of oil will be required? cheers
All Cooper S have the fairly bullet-proof 6-speed Getrag gearbox.

I think you need around 2 litres of oil normally until it flows out the filler plug.
Manual Transmission Fluid Change How-To - Lone Star Mini Club Forums

·
cristo
2,889 Posts
I changed the oil in my Midlands twice (at about 45K and 70K) and still had the differential
bearings go at about 80K. Used Redline MTL the first change and MTF-94 the second time.
I ended up swapping a Getrag 6-speed in and am very happy with that (except the price).

Still, I think it's worth changing it every 40-50K to reduce the chance of failure.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Many years ago, before computerisation of cars, one would change gearbox oil every 50,000 km and diff oil every 100,000 km (this was also a recommendation in the after market manuals) !

Had a discussion with a BMW/MINI tech and he agreed, change the gearbox oil every 50,000 km (Getrag or Midland).

Another discussion with a local salvage yard that rebuilds Midlands also agreed with 50,000 km, he also cautioned about labouring the gearbox in 5th Gear for the Midlands and advised not to use 5th under 80 KPH as it can load (especially under hard acceleration)the input shaft up which will eventually result in failure.

The salvage yard also cautioned that when the Midland was starting to make noises, get it overhauled, they usually need replacement seals and occasionally front and rear bearings. Failure to heed those first indicators can and often does result in destruction of the gear clusters and diff and often damage to the casing resulting in the Midland gearbox being a write off and unable to be rebuilt.

Regular oil changes (I use MTL Redline) will prolong the life of the gearbox, allow you to check the magnetic fill and drain plugs for iron filings (can be a good indication of a problem), correct gear selection and not labouring or thrashing the gearbox and paying heed to the warning sounds early should see you OK.

I have 198000km on my R50 with a Midlands and 185000 on my Getrag 6speed R53 and no issues with either gearbox and I choose to change oil every 40,000 km.

Don't forget, parts can and will wear out with age the older the car gets with more miles/km on the clock .

As I acquired each car, regardless of service history, I changed all Filters, Engine (I change my engine oil and filter every 7000 km's) and Gearbox Oil, Coolant and flushed both Brakes and Clutch with new fluid, cleaned and lubricated the sun roof on both Mini's. I am about to do a service on the Super Charger and change the Oil and if required, the water pump.

Whilst not everyone is handy with a spanner, if your prepared to learn or at least get guidance, you can save a small fortune on maintenance, have the satisfaction of knowing the condition of your Mini if you do your own basic repairs. For those who own a Gen 1 Mini, there is an excellent poster on YouTube called Modmini with excellent DIY videos, there are also other YouTube uploaders with DIY info with valuable information. A selection of some good tools and a Bentley or Haynes manual are a must (I have both manuals).

Give your Mini some TLC and regular maintenance and you shouldn't have to many issues. :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yep MTF-94, according the haynes book of lies.
Correct Tron9000 MTF-94 or you can use Redline MTL, here in Australia they are the same price with the exception of a few dollars but very few places stock MTF-94 unless you buy direct from a dealer.

The key thing is, neither have the additive that will dissolve the Brass bushing inside the gearbox as they are GL-4 Oil and not the everyday GL-5 which will dissolve Brass bushings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i agree filled for life is a total lie and people would have to be quite gullible to believe it XD
i agree filled for life is a total lie and people would have to be quite gullible to believe it XD
Dear cristo,
We hope this finds you well, in good spirit and having a good day.
We have a 2007 Cooper with damaged 5-speed gearbox and noticed you had swapped yours for a 6-speed Getrag. A local mechanic said it's not as simple as just changing the gearbox. Can you PLEASE tell us what else needs changing and what parts are necessary to change the 5-speed for the 6 speed?
Thank-you
Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE="cristo, post: 4110473, member: 8399"
I changed the oil in my Midlands twice (at about 45K and 70K) and still had the differential
bearings go at about 80K. Used Redline MTL the first change and MTF-94 the second time.
I ended up swapping a Getrag 6-speed in and am very happy with that (except the price).

Still, I think it's worth changing it every 40-50K to reduce the chance of failure.

Dear Cristo, We hope this finds you well, in good spirit and having a good day. We have a 2007 Cooper with damaged 5-speed gearbox and noticed you had swapped yours for a 6-speed Getrag. A local mechanic said it's not as simple as just changing the gearbox. Can you PLEASE tell us what else needs changing and what parts are necessary to change the 5-speed for the 6-speed? Thank-you. Earthead

·
Registered
2 Posts

Dear Cristo, We hope this finds you well, in good spirit and having a good day. We have a 2007 Cooper with damaged 5-speed gearbox and noticed you had swapped yours for a 6-speed Getrag. A local mechanic said it's not as simple as just changing the gearbox. Can you PLEASE tell us what else needs changing and what parts are necessary to change the 5-speed for the 6-speed? Thank-you. Earthead

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
I think you need the starter, drive shafts, selector and cables, gearbox mount on later cars, flywheel and clutch, if doing this use the facelift 6 speed BKE or BKL as the ratios are a little shorter, lending itself better to an NA conversion, so would the use of a light flywheel, as the S one is going to slow your car response down

1 - 19 of 19 Posts