MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
MTL or MTF94? There are many brands of MTF94, I doubt they are all the same. MTL seems to be only from Redline?

Just looked though and the specs are almost identical for both. I expect MTL is Redlines name for MTF94.

Alright I jsut ordered some ELF NFP 75W-80. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
MTL or MTF94? There are many brands of MTF94, I doubt they are all the same. MTL seems to be only from Redline?

Just looked though and the specs are almost identical for both. I expect MTL is Redlines name for MTF94.

Alright I jsut ordered some ELF NFP 75W-80. I'll let you know how it goes.

ok::wink::

·
205 Posts
Um, I've got an idea that MTF94 is a type (like 5w-30) rather than a brand.
I've used it for all five my gen2 MINIs in LandRover and CarPlan labels.
Both brands are the same straw colour and have the same very unique smell.
75w-80 meets the specs and GL4 protects the 'yellow metal' bushings (something to do with less sulphur in the oil?) GL5 (apparently) coats the parts in the event of oil loss.
IMO there seems to be a 'dark art' about MINI fluids which always leads back to buying from the MINI brand...at MINI prices...
MTF-94 is a mineral oil. The synthetic trend is another popular option that I think is unnecessary for a gear oil. I change mine every 2years; it's an easy and cheap d-i-y.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I changed the tranmission oil today for Tranself NFP 75w-80 gear oil. It works beautifully :)

So if anyone wants an alternative to Redline MTL I can recommend Tranself (ELF) NFP works well in the cooper S R53 maual tranmission.

In comparison to Redline MTL, ELF NFP viscosity varies much less over temperature. It is similar when hot but not as thick when cold which helps cold start performance. It is GL4 spec compatible with 'yellow metal' brass syncro parts. Just like Redline MTL specifically states it has a constant friction coefficiant that helps syncronisation, NFP also says it has a particarly stable friction coefficiant.

Jobs a good-un!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just poured this into my R57 manual tranny. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90. What an immediate noticeable difference. Smooth and very quiet now. Marked improvement. This 'for life' is complete nonsense. The old oil was visibly contaminated with metal particles and dark brown/streaky. Once the motor is on 4 stands, this is a ten minute job and less than 2 litres. Job done at 38K miles.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just poured this into my R57 manual tranny. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90. What an immediate noticeable difference. Smooth and very quiet now. Marked improvement. This 'for life' is complete nonsense. The old oil was visibly contaminated with metal particles and dark brown/streaky. Once the motor is on 4 stands, this is a ten minute job and less than 2 litres. Job done at 38K miles.
I would be very cautious regarding the viscosity of the oil. Because depending on the area where the vehicle is BMW chosen the viscosity of oil. So it would be the best choose the parameters of factory oil. As for changing the oil in the engine and gearbox, when we purchased our new R56 MSD with A / T I ordered the authorized service to change all oil in the gearbox and the engine after 3000 km (you can not imagine how many particles of metal were in the engine and gearbox and you just changed the oil in the gearbox after 61100 km be happy is still working).
Just a information. I have reduced service intervals for engine oil change every 10,000 km and for the gearbox every 35000 km.>:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
And your description of oil means that the oil has lost its viscosity. A lifetime oil exist but there are incredibly expensive and they are used in the aerospace equipment and extremely expensive equipment as per liter this oil's cost over 10,000 pounds. So I highly doubt that the BMW has put this oil in our transmissions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok here we go with the usual question.

Getrag 5 Speed Manual Transmission (No LSD) - 2005 Model is supposed to have MTF-LT-3.

Anyone tried MTF94 (from the older Midland boxes) in one?

Otherwise it could be an expensive trip to the Stealership, who just relieved me of £324 for a drive shaft to replace one that snapped (that's another story) and hence the reason for my question.
Redline clearly state that their MTF94 is NOT suitable for MKi Mini pre 07/2004 "Popular for BMW, Honda/Acura, Ford Focus, late-model Mini Cooper, L "

MKi pre 07/2004 need a sulphur free API-GL4 oil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Comma MVP75801L is the only fully synthetic API-GL4 but not GL5 manual transmission gearbox oil SPECIFICALLY recommended fro pre 07/2004 Mini Cooper R50.
There are plenty of premature gasket & seal failures down to poor attention to manufacturer spec oil specifically by independent garages who don't wish to stock too much and have little idea of how their industry moves.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts