MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gearbox has been getting worse and worse, especially with the reverse gear. I had to take it to my local mini dealership to have a KDS alignment, and they also replaced oil as part of a service and the brake system fluid.

But worryingly they found a leak in the gearbox selector housing. They said no seal is available from mini, and may have to replace the gearbox, and is currently trying to find out if this can be done under warrenty. I have had this car two months, bought second hand from dealership and Its had all sorts of problems, including door rust.

Has anyone had problems with their gearbox? My car is a 51plate.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Many owners have had gearbox problems on pre 2004 MINI Ones and Cooper fitted with the early Rover Midland gearbox. Search "Midland gearbox" and you should find some threads on them. Later Mini's were fitted with a Getrag gearbox.

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
I think the fact that you bought it two months ago from a dealership would suggest that you have some kind of warranty on the car..........even if it's only three months ?

make sure that all problems are notified to the dealership within the warrant period.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well im hoping tt can be sorted under warrenty, caus thats quite a serious problem, and Im not paying for that to be done, when it should have been checked before I bought it.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Under the cherised scheme:

Minimum 12 months MINI Warranty
All Cherished MINIs come with a minimum 12 month warranty because we want you to be confident that your MINI's going to be just fine. We even guarantee the battery and exhaust system. Although there are a few exceptions, the MINI Warranty is one of the finest available.

"MINI Promise
We've total confidence in every Cherished MINI. So much so, that if anything goes wrong in the first 30 days or 1,000 miles of your ownership (whichever is sooner) and we can't sort it out, you can exchange it or, if we can't arrange an appropriate exchange, we'll give you a refund. This does not affect your statutory rights."

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew about the 12months warrenty, but didnt know about the mini promise, thats actually really good If they do what they say. Unfortunately its gone past a 1000 miles and 30 days, still I wouldnt want to exchange it, its great to drive, just a shame I have had so many problems with it, I was asked to send a list of problems with my mini to dealership today, but they havent emailed me back or anything, which I think is bad.

·
Registered
460 Posts
mini dealers are never brilliant at e-mail or phone (after they have your money) i have found, but the good news is if they replace it they should (i think at least) fit a 5 speed gertag type as they had so many problems with the midlands box.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have noticed that its funny the dealerships always call during the buying process, but as soon you want anything fixed, its a real mission to get the ball rolling. I have just read previous posts about the two gear boxes thanks to mab01uk suggestion. I hope the new type is fitted, sounds better. I read that when a new gearbox is installed , a new clutch is needed. Is this right and if so should I make sure they replace the clutch to?

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
If you need a new gearbox and MINI do the work they will only replace it with a recon midlands box. The newer getrag box is not a simple replacement it needs various other parts changed to make it fit.
I dont think you would get a new clutch for nothing but even if you have to pay for the part i doubt you will have to pay any labour as transmission already in bits.
I would stand your ground as many people on here have recieved goodwill gestures from MINI and only end up paying 50% labour charges with free parts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news, my dealership have authorised the gearbox to be replaced under warrenty. But they also asked If I would like the clutch to be replaced at a cost of around £200, I would be charged no labour.
My mini has only done 30,000 miles and for a 51 plate thats pretty good I think, I have only owned the car 3 months, do you think I should pay for this new clutch or try and get it done under warrenty or just keep my existing clutch? The dealership were recommending I get both changed, what do you think??

·
Registered
362 Posts
Most people would generally say get it changed, seeing as they are taking the car to bits.
Thats a very good price also, you will be annoyed when potentially your clutch could die 5k miles from now, and your left with an £800 bill.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah thats true, but Ive only just paid out £400 + on getting stuff done, and ,like I said Ive only had it 3 months, so Im going to try and get the price down a bit before agreeing.

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Good result on the gearbox. I know you have just spent some cash on your car but i would advise you dig a little deeper and get a new clutch at the same time. This should hopefully mean you never have to have it replaced in the future and if any probs arise later you will have a warranty and a come back clause from MINI.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah your right. It will mean peace of mind, I dont have much luck, so its probably a good idea to get it done. But there is also the well known 'if its not broken, dont fix it' issue. So im kinda torn on what do to..but replacement does seem the sensible option.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Good result. :)..............if you can stretch to the new clutch go for it as several have failed at low miles on the early MINI's and much of the work/ labour involved is costly and a repeat of the gearbox replacement. work you are having done already.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts