MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this might sound silly but here it goes :- the other day i was with my mate driving his WRX , (pretty much a stock car ) ,he just recently got the thing back with a heavy duty clutch installed.. anyways as you do, he was giving the thing a bit of a thrashing when all of a suddent BONK- he blew his gear box.. obviously due to a number of factors but i believe there was a strong link b/w the gear box :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: itself and getting the new clutch installed..

Now for my Q: Given the typs of mods available to the mcs ( pulley , ecu, cai etc ) - i read very very little ( almost nothing ) on anyone upgrading their gearbox to accomodate for these powermods - anyreason why?

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Mini-beast said:
Hi this might sound silly but here it goes :- the other day i was with my mate driving his WRX , (pretty much a stock car ) ,he just recently got the thing back with a heavy duty clutch installed.. anyways as you do, he was giving the thing a bit of a thrashing when all of a suddent BONK- he blew his gear box.. obviously due to a number of factors but i believe there was a strong link b/w the gear box :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: itself and getting the new clutch installed..

Now for my Q: Given the typs of mods available to the mcs ( pulley , ecu, cai etc ) - i read very very little ( almost nothing ) on anyone upgrading their gearbox to accomodate for these powermods - anyreason why?
1) its a Getrag gearbox. (strongest OEM gearboxes) Rally teams get Getrag to make racing gearboxes and sequential gearshift kits etc.. yes all gearboxes have weak points but ultimately they are good things.
2) The Subie has a very weak gearbox and yes by all means are good in the standard car. but are not up to any mods. with the right set of shafts and gears from MRT performance he will not have any further issues.
3) the Mini is FWD, you dont put so much traction down that your gearbox becomes the weakest link. You end up spinning your wheels a bit and thats a godsend cause it means your not going to destroy your gearbox with massive torque loads.
4) From memory i think the Gearset/input shaft and other bits in the Mini gearbox from what i have seen is actually bigger and stronger than that in a WRX gearbox.

The only time you might have problems in a mini gearbox is with a PUCK or Brass Button (unsprung centre) Clutch and slicks that are sticky and hot. then you might have a problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts