MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mini, cooper Sidewalk 2008
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My 2008 convertible has a stiff gear lever from side to side across the gait but is ok from front to back. the cables had been replaced before I bought the car ( Jan 21 ) and it was fine then, the problem has got worse over the winter. I have disconnected the cables at the gearbox end and the lever is loose and free. the problem seems to be with the selector mechanism on the top of the gearbox. Can anybody tell me how to rectify this? Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
just take it off and clean/lube it, or douse it from above, you'll find the selector shaft probably rises and falls freely but if it doesn't, other than access just under its cap the rest is internal

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
426 Posts
My experience is limited to the first generation and the Midlands gearbox. But it might help to change the gearbox lube. I used Redline MTL to refill after overhauling the transaxle, and put in 2.5 liters instead of 2.1 liters.

That recommendation was from someone with a lot of experience with the Midlands. The slight overfill is enough to keep the bearings submerged in lubricant IIRC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just take it off and clean/lube it, or douse it from above, you'll find the selector shaft probably rises and falls freely but if it doesn't, other than access just under its cap the rest is internal
Thank you so much for your reply, I will do as you suggest and see how I get on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience is limited to the first generation and the Midlands gearbox. But it might help to change the gearbox lube. I used Redline MTL to refill after overhauling the transaxle, and put in 2.5 liters instead of 2.1 liters.

That recommendation was from someone with a lot of experience with the Midlands. The slight overfill is enough to keep the bearings submerged in lubricant IIRC.
Hi, Thanks for your reply, I have thought that it may possibly the oil in the gearbox. The car has done 122,000 miles and I am guessing that the oil has never been changed so I will change it as a matter of course and see if that improves things.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Do you have a 5-speed gearbox? The Getrag is different from the Midlands - the Getrag is more reliable!

Not sure if Redline MTL is what’s recommended for the Getrag or not, but I believe it made a difference in my Midlands. The gears shift a lot smoother now, but new bearings had a lot to do with that, no doubt.

When we drained it prior to the overhaul, that last half a liter or so looked more like silver paint than gear lube!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply, I will do as you suggest and see how I get on.
Hi I have the same problem with our convertable, as you say the lever is free even the pivot above the gearbox is relatively free, so following the advice elsewhere on this site i have removed the top of the casing and the selector rod that goes into the top of the gear box and was expecting to see a spring somewhere that would take care of the centering, but no spring anywhere to be seen. Is this normal? is our mini missing something? or is this just another part of the car that has been bodged? any help greatfully recieved.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi steve1973, what year is your Mini?

If you happen to have the Midlands transaxle (2002 - 2004, pre-facelift cars in the US) what you’re looking for is buried deep inside the transaxle.

If that’s what you have and puzzles are your thing, I have a PDF of the overhaul manual I can post here.

Unfortunately I don’t have any knowledge of the Getrag transaxles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts