MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a cooper on a 04 plate & when I try to select reverse gear the gears crunch.
Is this a common fault on these cars or have I got a faulty gearbox/clutch.

·
Miss Independent
791 Posts
Common fault.

On mine i stop, put it into second gear, then straight into reverse. Normally slips straight in with no grinding.

Its because the reverse gear doesnt have a sycromesh or something.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Be careful, you may have a dragging clutch, it can tear up the box if it is not fully releasing. Crunching going intoreverse is a symptom for this problem.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Take it out of gear, leave it in neutral. Then put the clutch in, wait for a moment or so and then select reverse - make sure you pull it right back. All MINIs do it - there's no syncromesh on reverse. Don't know if this happens on R56 MINIs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hrm, I have been experiencing this problem more and more often over the last couple of months.
Is the fix a new gearbox? I'm taking my mini into the dealer next week to get this sorted.
Not happy to have to pop in into neutral, slightly rev the engine, then try gearing again.
Rubbish....it should work the first time!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
There is an art to getting the MINI in reverse ;)

Make sure the car is stationary (as you always should), press the clutch down as normal, and gently slide the gear lever back into reverse. If around the half way stage you feel resistance, don't force it, as it will crunch.

Instead, slowly bring your foot up off the clutch while holding a small amount of pressure on the lever (not enough to force it in). There will be a point around the bite where the gear pops in very easily.

Seems a cumbersome process, but once you have done this a couple of times it comes very easily and takes only a second longer than normal :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
revesrse gear crunch

I`m so glad i found this thread because my 52 plate mini one has started to crunch while selecting reverse gear but it`s only started with in the last thousand miles. It`s currently showing 61,700 miles , i had thuoght about changing the oil in the box or bleeding or changing the clutch. Does any one have a sure fire fix for this problem because it`s slightly annoying. I love my mini but hate it when a silly little problem like this crops up. :confused:

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
That's on the old Midlands gearbox if it's a 52 plate MINI One/Cooper. Those are known for their short lifespan so it may be the start of the end of your gearbox. This is probably a bit drastic, but it's useful to know.

With my old Cooper with the same gearbox, I found it easier to select first gear and then reverse. That actually became my default action when selecting reverse. On the S gearbox, it's much better. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gearbox fix

Update:
Took mini down to dealer to get reverse gearing problem sorted. Luckily, it acted up when tested by the technician: following that, gearbox was diagnosed as being the source of the problem.
They replaced the entire gearbox (which was still under warrenty)
Problem solved: no more reverse gear crunch!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts