MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2001 Cooper still within Manufacturer's warranty. About a month ago it became sluggish when pulling away and I had problems getting into 1st, 3rd and 5th (also reverse). My dealer replaced the clutch but the gears are still pants!

I'd like to go back to them with something concrete, so does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi and welcome to MIN2

If they have replaced the clutch and you're still having trouble getting into gears, maybe the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder are leaking so the clutch isn't disengaging properly. Is your brake fluid level falling noticeably? (the clutch and brake hydraulic systems share a fulid reservoir).

Another possibility might be that the linkage between the gear lever and the gearbox needs adjusting, especially as they would have had to disturb it when removing the gearbox to replace the clutch.

There is also the possibility that the gearbox has developed a fault.

I'm sure that if you can demonstrate the problem to your dealer, they will sort it out.

Tony

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Common Problem

due to lack of synchro on 1st on 01/02 etc cars is pretty common on 'early' MINIs; you'll need to redepress the clutch / blip the throttle if it doesn't go in, try putting it into 1st as you coast to a stop at lights etc - theyve changed the gearbox (for 03/04 I think) but new box is not compatable with the 01/02 drivetrain ...

Stone Rose said:
Hello,

I have a 2001 Cooper still within Manufacturer's warranty. About a month ago it became sluggish when pulling away and I had problems getting into 1st, 3rd and 5th (also reverse). My dealer replaced the clutch but the gears are still pants!

I'd like to go back to them with something concrete, so does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It sounds to me like you need a new gearbox, not a new clutch. Insist on a new box before you're out of warranty.

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.