What size and type are they

Thinking about adding pillar tweeters

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Looks like threr are two speakers in the doors

What size and type are they

Thinking about adding pillar tweeters
The smaller is called by Mini a Midrange speaker and the larger a Midrange/Woofer. The smaller is approx 3.5" and the larger approx 6". Both are fed a full range signal. Many people have added pillar tweeters and have reported a good improvement.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yip, agree, I added A pillar tweeters from the HiFi set up (not HK as they are wrong impedance) and replacement A pillars off Ebay, much better sound, then added a subwoofer under the passenger seat, well worth the effort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased replacement a pillars from eBay £30 each side with the tweeter holes in.

in there I fitted audison ap1.

top part of the door were fitted with audison ap4.

lower doors fitted with the audison ap6.5. These needed a baffle making, used a plastic chopping board for each side, approx 8mm thick.

ran new cable to every speaker, that bit was fun, then wired them up to an Alpine E800-dsp.

the whole car has been sound deadened and covered with closed cell foam (including the roof).

Made a massive difference to the sound, the bass coming from the ap6.5 is amazing, not as much as a dedicated sub, may add one to the boot at a later date though.

the sound from head unit is biased towards upper frequencies due to having no tweeters in there as standard, adding tweeters may mean you need to cut it the high frequencies a bit to balance things out. I was able to use the DSP in the amp to tailor the sound a lot better.

if anybody is in the midlands and wants a listen then give me a shout and I can give you a demo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts