MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i went in to ocean bmw in plymouth uk asked for a price fore the latest timing chain kit for petrol mini gen 2 and gen 3 fitted with the n12 n14 n16 n18 engines and was shocked at the prices in a good way, for new chain, new latest chain tension'r ie longer top guide both side guides bottom sprocket this is a common fit for 60-70,000 miles to repair them just over £215 for genuine parts that also have a 24 month warranty on them,, dont forget to add new bolts on this or course ie £15 tops, so from now on i will be fitting factory chains kits by far the best option at those prices, guess bmw have realised the problem with these chains in fact the parts guy said he has sold a lot of them over the years. a big part of the cost is the revised tension'r its £53 for the latest and by far the best one..

Reactions: IanH72

· Registered
13,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
£360 was some of the past quotes for kits and back then it was just a kit, where now they will sell all parts as singles,, trouble with hourly rates is this ,, i'm in middle of rebuilding top end for a friend/customer on a r53 on a 2002-52 reg so old one and ended up 3 hours trying to remove bottom pulley without damaging anything just kept snapping the 8mm bolts to pull with was so tight and on top could not over heat it with gas heat as damper pulley would melt and expensive, got it it the end with out damage,, that jobs should of been 10 minutes, then with oil pump off bottom timing chain sprocket same sort of thing another hour or so. then the other stuff broken off bolts that screw in to alloy etc it all adds up,, if i got paid for every hour i have spent on top of what the job was charged at i would be a rich man now, its poss to do it 3-4 hours in a very perfect world but things dont come that easy normally,, also only a fool would rush the job and not to a number of proper checks to ensure its done right,,, hence why we tend to fix price the jobs like that with a added bit if we find anything else will call customer and give them a choice ie while its a part fix that as well ie one lot of labour saved fro a later date or not and when the next fail turns up they end up paying again,, my view this is not a good way of treating anyone,,

· Registered
13,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
febi bilsteen is what i seen in a trade mag i get i asked bmw guy that he said did not know they just get what they get, i've been using FAI or febi , but both of these dont seem to sell the latest spec tensioners only bmw seem to do them at £53 a pop,

Reactions: knt

· Registered
13,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, do you have an opinion as to whether N12 chain tensioners lose tension over time, adding to the likelihood of rattle/failure?
its not the tensioners that were at fault its a thin crap chains that stretch tensioner is sign the chain needs replacing on the prnce engines ie n12 16b the n12 14b and n14 and n18 engines ,, bmw try'd and failed to kick the can up the road by fitting longer and less force tensioners as a update but still this just forces the engines to run longer out of time and this extra time does extra damage easle where,, 60,000 miles change the timing chain and guides and tensioner , genuine parts better or febi or FAI after market are ok, would always fit latest spec genuine tensioner

Reactions: IanH72
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.