MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper, manual transmission
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I was diagnosing a recently purchased 2006 Mini Cooper (R50 I think…) where the transmission can only shift into first (edit: could be another gear) and it pops out of gear under load. I was told the issue happened while driving.

I was hoping it was an issue with the shift cable, but it seems to be something with the transmission:

The right linkage (green) moves fine but the left (red) seems stuck or seized. It won’t budge. I can’t move it by hand or move the right/green one up or down. I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet but I didn’t want to use too much force.

Does anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I came across this old thread and I’m wondering it is the same issue. I messaged the OP to find out more details although I’m not expecting a reply.

·
Registered
2005 Mini Cooper
122 Posts
The whole linkage system looks very rusty, so could very well be seized - try spraying WD40 or similar down along the linkages as far as you can, and keep shifting to try and loosen them and get them to move. They could be seized at the shifter end too, which would mean getting under the car and removing exhaust and heat shields to get to it. It just looks very dry…

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole linkage system looks very rusty, so could very well be seized - try spraying WD40 or similar down along the linkages as far as you can, and keep shifting to try and loosen them and get them to move. They could be seized at the shifter end too, which would mean getting under the car and removing exhaust and heat shields to get to it. It just looks very dry…
Thanks for the suggestion!

In addition to the one linkage being seized, the shift cable or the shifter assembly is broken for that one side. The shifter can move anywhere easily without moving that one cable, and when I disconnected that one cable it moves freely back and forth without moving the shifter. My guess is that the previous owner tried to ‘power’ it into gear and broke something. Though I suppose it’s also possible the cable or shifter assembly broke initially and then the mechanism coincidentally seized up later after sitting.

·
Registered
2005 Mini Cooper
122 Posts
Ah okay, in that case either the cable has popped off or the linkage has snapped at the shifter end!!! So either way you’d need to take the shifter assembly out to inspect. Most probably popped off/snapped because it was seized!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To add some mystery to the situation, I drained the transmission fluid today in preparation for removing it and about 1/2 cup came out. No signs of a leak so it looks like it had been drained (what came out must have just been the fluid that didn’t make it out of the initial drain).

I have no idea whether the people I bought it from drained it after it had issues or if it was drained when they got it and it was never refilled so that’s why it ‘broke’.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I went with a hunch and decided to try and work the one linkage free (red circle in the photo of the first post). I sprayed some PB blaster and was tapping it with a metal punch and a mini sledgehammer.

I ended up getting it to start moving. And after much effort I got it moving fairly freely. So I was incorrect in assuming it was seized in the transmission itself (shift fork). It was just that linkage piece which was seized.

So then I went through all of the gears while turning the crankshaft pulley and observed that all of the gears seem to work and the wheels move appropriately for each gear.

I’ll still need to replace the shifter assembly/cables, but I’ll go ahead and risk it and refill it with fluid and hope for the best :) Hopefully the transmission will work well enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts