MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to have been a bit of debate about what gearbox the S will actually get...

Latest specs off miniusa.com confirm it's a Getrag box

We like...;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
KarmanS said:
Performance cars such as M5, M3, and Skyline GTR (which are all great driver's cars in my mind) are equipped with a getrag unit. I am glad the cooper S will have it too!
Not to mention supplier to the Audi family A4/A6/A8/S4/S6/S8 as well as the Porsche 911 Carrera 2, Carrera 4, 996.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
rich said:
There seems to have been a bit of debate about what gearbox the S will actually get...

Latest specs off miniusa.com confirm it's a Getrag box

We like...;)
My Dealer showed me their Factory MINI Cooper S Manual (about 3 inches thick !!) this clearly states the 6 speed is a Getrag unit.....no question at all. Absolutely NO CHANCE of a copy before anyone asks.....

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
It would also appear to be the same unit being used in the new Ford SVT Focus. The unit in both the S and the Focus uses two shafts; the output shaft holding four gears and an output shaft with two different gears. this allows getting 6 forward speeds into a smaller container.

It should be wonderful having six choices for getting that torque to the road!!!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MiniMiller said:
It would also appear to be the same unit being used in the new Ford SVT Focus. The unit in both the S and the Focus uses two shafts; the output shaft holding four gears and an output shaft with two different gears. this allows getting 6 forward speeds into a smaller container.

It should be wonderful having six choices for getting that torque to the road!!!
It's strange that if it is the same gearbox, then why hasn't Ford made mention of having a premium Getrag transmission as being part of their new model? I remember reading that the gearbox in the SVT has an unusual design to acheive the 6 speeds, but where have you heard about the same unique design being used for the Cooper S? Just curious.

If I remember what I read correctly, the SVT Focus will also be putting less torque through the gearbox - only 145 ft lbs out of its 2 liter engine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Description of Getrag gearbox

Bruce,

See the miniusa website, check out interior features under the Cooper S. Once there, click on and read about the gearbox.

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
BruceK said:

It's strange that if it is the same gearbox, then why hasn't Ford made mention of having a premium Getrag transmission as being part of their new model? I remember reading that the gearbox in the SVT has an unusual design to acheive the 6 speeds, but where have you heard about the same unique design being used for the Cooper S? Just curious.

If I remember what I read correctly, the SVT Focus will also be putting less torque through the gearbox - only 145 ft lbs out of its 2 liter engine.
I'm not sure why Ford has not tooted more about having a Getrag, but last weeks Autoweek featured the Focus Ford Focus SVT article from Autoweek. You are also correct on the torque number. Ford has made tweeks to increas both HP and torque, although the torque increase is not substantial.

·
Registered
301 Posts
6 forward gears?

Now I may be wrong, and usually am, but I was looking at the gear shift for the Cooper S on miniusa.com, and the gear layout seems to be 5 forward gears, one reverse gear. Is this what is being touted as 6 gears?
DeniseK

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
Go in to the interior specs section for the Cooper S, and click on the hot link for the Getrag gearbox. You will be able to see a picture of it there. Definately six forward gears. You must have seen the picture for the standard Cooper.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: 6 forward gears?

DeniseK said:
Now I may be wrong, and usually am, but I was looking at the gear shift for the Cooper S on miniusa.com, and the gear layout seems to be 5 forward gears, one reverse gear. Is this what is being touted as 6 gears?
DeniseK
It is a 6 forward geared manual Getrag Gearbox.......+ an reverse for going backwards.....or forwards going backwards.....in which case six reverse gears and one for going backwords forward.......

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
SIX SPEED + REVERSE

For the doubters: -
(Credit for this picture goes to ADO15 who posted scans of the only "S" brochure known to currently exist in the whole MINI2 universe)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Close Ratio

pbraun said:
That's very cool. I want one !
Have you seen the Gear Ratios on the miniusa.com site. Thats a very short shifting gearbox. Not sure why it doesn't have a final drive ratio listed though....any explainations over and above that they forgot to state it ?

cheers

·
Registered
448 Posts
Final drive ratio is given as 3.94:1 followed by a "?"

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Re: SIX SPEED + REVERSE

Basil said:
For the doubters: -
(Credit for this picture goes to ADO15 who posted scans of the only "S" brochure known to currently exist in the whole MINI2 universe)
No.... I've got it too. That's one benefit of being at the Essen Motor Show besides being all over the real thing :D !

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
Final drive ratio is given as 3.94:1 followed by a "?"
yea, the "?" is appropriate. I doubt if thats the correct final drive ratio....should be much closer to 1:1 shouldn't it ?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The final drive ratio in the Rover Minis vary between about 3.6:1 and 4.1:1. Higher top speed with the second, vs better acceleration with the first, IIRC.

So 3.9-ish isn't out of the ballpark, but might be considered a little long by the smoking-tyre brigade.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: SIX SPEED + REVERSE

OnlyS4me said:

No.... I've got it too. That's one benefit of being at the Essen Motor Show besides being all over the real thing :D !
Sigh!.....geez your lucky.

And another interesting thing......I didn't get an e-mail regarding your post......thats a first...I wonder how many others I've missed.......Hmm..

Mind you, Paul Mullett made me a Dalek, and I've got a 1:43rd Scale model of the Cooper from BMW Australia for Christmas so I shouldn't complain too much hey !.

Merry christmas OnlyS4me

;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
The final drive ratio in the Rover Minis vary between about 3.6:1 and 4.1:1. Higher top speed with the second, vs better acceleration with the first, IIRC.

So 3.9-ish isn't out of the ballpark, but might be considered a little long by the smoking-tyre brigade.
Makes sense, thanks...;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts