MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, got a MCC on order. Still deciding on wheels.

It is a choice between 16" or 17". The standard 16" look OK but I prefer the 17" Star Bullet wheels. However, after reading several posts many say that 17" wheels make for a much harder ride. I'm only interested going with wheels supplied by Mini so would imagine the tyres would be run-flats.

Can anyone help me make my mind up? I do like a firmer grip on the road but I suppose the 16" will be good enough for that. The only reason I want 17" is the look but if it hampers performance and ride quality then I'll go for 16".

Cheers, Boyderama.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hiya, 'tis all down to personal opinion i guess, but for your info i have a MC with standard SS (not PLUS) with 16" runflats and the ride is driving me mental on the poor roads of london, so am actually considering changing to 15", as my mate has this set up and ride is much improved.

No doubt that bigger looks better, but ride suffers.

As i say, am sure others will say different, but is all down to personal taste and how much comfort u are prepared to lose for gains in looks.

·
cristo
2,852 Posts
I'd go with the 16" R84 (x-lite) wheels, since I believe they're the lightest MINI 16"
ones at (17.6#).
If you go for 17", the R91 (5 spoke bullet) at 20.6# or the
R99 double spokes at 21.9# are several pounds lighter than the other 17's that
MINI supplies. Also, if you go for 17's, note that the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's
are much heavier than the other 2 runflats available. The 16" runflats are all
pretty close in weight (22.6# - 23.6# )

205/45-17 TIRE WEIGHT (*)
------------------------- --------------- ---
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 DSST 21.8lb ( 9.9kg)
Pirelli [email protected] 22.0lb (10.0kg)
Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMT 30.4lb (13.8kg)
:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying guys!

I know nothing about tyres or wheels, if I like it then I'll buy it.

How does a wheels weight affect driving? Remember, I can't choose the tyres for the car as Mini do that.

From your suggestions I think it's best to go for the 16" wheels.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Boyderama said:
Thanks for replying guys!

I know nothing about tyres or wheels, if I like it then I'll buy it.

How does a wheels weight affect driving? Remember, I can't choose the tyres for the car as Mini do that.

From your suggestions I think it's best to go for the 16" wheels.

Thanks for your help!
There have been many discussions about wheel weight and preformance in MINI2.com. If you do a search on wheel weight you should find some of the rather long, but informative discussions.

In a nut shell, heavy is bad, light is good. This is in how it effects smoothness of ride, acceleration, brakeing, cornering, ability to change direction, etc.

16" vs 17" comes down to the ability to adsorb road imperfections. The slightly taller sidewall of the 16" tyre can adsorb more impact than the slightly shorter sidewall of the 17"tyre.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A point which doesn't often seem to be considered when specc'in: have you checked tyre replacement availability & cost?

A quick run round the net showed me that 17" are more difficult to find and considerably more expensive eg £180 as opposed to well under £100 for 16". These are generalisations and no doubt lots of people can find smaller differences - but I'm thinking of when you've just written off the tyre (or it's worn out) and you need replacement quickly. Be interested to know what others think.

I came to do this when ordering my MCS (14/1/05 arrival CR/W) and found the Chili pack to be about what I wanted but had 17" wheels. In the end I kept the std 16" due to the easier availability - my original consideration was ride etc. I test-drove both sizes but couldn't really see (feel?) that much difference; based on the overwhelming opinion here that 16" are more comfortable, I went with them and look forward to cheaper tyre replacement. I'm sold on the idea of runflat with not having to stop to change a wheel in a "dodgy" area or on the hard shoulder.

Someone did point out that not having Chili might affect trade-in price adversely but one of the pleasures of the MINI is having it as you want it. The only other thing I can't understand is why so many people say the bigger wheels look better - must be me, as I seem to like the std x-lites

Happy specc'in - all part of the MINI fun (how many colours have you chosen so far? - I think me & her ladyship have been through them all !

Cheers guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts