MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !
It was very enlightening and scary to read what is on this Forum regarding all the problems that MINIs are bringing with them to the new owners. My husband and I live in New York now. We have put orders for our MINI COOPER and COOPER S about a month ago along with a deposit of a $1000 on each (via AMEX). The cars will officially go on sale in March, with delivery dates somtimes in the late summer or early autumn. I personally had never thought that a car made by the Germans and the Brits would have so many problems with it. I thought this dubious distinction was only bestowed on our American cars. Anyhow, after being excited for many months in anticipation of getting our MINIs I am getting a serious case of cold feet. Are we making a mistake getting a MINI...actually two MINIs. Are we multiplying our headaches, and throwing money to the wind? I realize that MINI will come with a good warranty, however, it is not my goal to spend any time in the shop to fix my brand new car.
Your feedback and honest opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Motoring and Thank you.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I originally ordered my Cooper in August only to cancel it as I wished to wait for the S. Over that time I read about the countless problems people were experiencing with their Mini and it did concern me as to whether I was doing the right thing in getting a Mini.

As it turned out I needed to get a new car sooner rather that later, so I couldn't wait for the S. I had to decide do I go for the Cooper or get something I feel safe with like a VW. In the end I gambled and went for the Mini. I have had the car a week now and it has been an absolute joy. I love the car, I love the looks, I love the steering, I love the way it handles. So far touch wood nothing has gone wrong. There are some minor niggles with the finish of the interior but I am not worried, they can easily be put right.

I had to put things into perspective to get round my doubts; I thought it is a new model; the early cars were bound to have troubles.

But things have been improving all the time and I am sure by the time the car hits your shores most of the glitches will have been sorted. I think it speaks volumes that the majority of the people that experienced some of the more serious problems with there Mini's opted to get a replacement, when you consider they had the chance to get their money back.

I hope this has helped.

LMB:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I dont think you should worry.

If you collect your car(s) and dont like them you should be able to re-sell them at no loss (if the US market is similar to the UK i.e. demand higher than supply).

If your car(s) have faults you should be able to get them fixed or (if it gets silly or faults unfixable) get your money back - asuming the US law is similar to the UK.

We are currently rejecting our MINI Cooper (see topic in faults & fixes) and getting a replacement.

Dave

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I have had a Cooper S on order since the 12th November 2001, and became a member here shortly after that time. The problems that have been raised in this forum led me to write BMW a letter threatening them with cancellation unless they could give me confidence that the UK's apparently high incidence of problem vehicles does not occur with Australian bound vehicles.

I have spoken with BMW, and as a result of that conversation my order for the Cooper S has stayed in place.

In the end you have to make up your own mind as to the risks involved, but after you have spoken with people here who have their MINI's already, even problem ones, the majority LOVE their cars. Those that are at the end of their tethers have had vehicles completely replaced.. and again most with ANOTHER MINI.

If this site wasn't here, I would not have known about the problems, and therefore would not have had the opportunity to speak with BMW management over my concerns.

I still have reservations, but believe BMW will have addressed the major issues, at least before the Cooper S hit's Australia's and the US shores.

Probably hasn't helped you much, but I know how you feel, because I've been there myself.

cheers

:)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have had my cooper since september and done 6000miles
Its had faults,but I still think the car is Fantastic and recomend it to anyone and everyone.
Stop worrying and go order two they are great.:) :) :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
You won't regret buying a MINI

If your experience is like mine has been, you won't regret it:

• Collected car 27 December 2001
  • 1350 miles covered
  • No problems so far
  • No creaks, leaks, cracks, rattles or other niggles
  • No pull to the left
  • Best handling, steering feel of any front drive car I've driven
  • Enjoying being in the car every single minute I drive it
I realise others have had problems, and mine may be just around the corner, but so far it's been the best car I've owned by some margin (as an overall package).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all...thank you

I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to write a reply to my posting. Your words of encouragement and more information are much appreciated.
I shall be smart and speak to our dealer on whether or not we would be able to regect our cars if they are giving us much headaches. I am not certain that it would be easily done in the States. Dealers would do anything before really helping you out.
If anyone could suggest to me how I could get in touch with BMW people to speak to them about MINIs and what has been done to make them better in the past few months, I would be very thankful for the info. I don't mind calling overseas, as long as I can get someone who speaks English or Dutch.
Again, thank you to all and
HAPPY MOTORING !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought so to, but below is a list of the problems I have had so far with my Coopper:

1) Fit replacement front seat leather covers, marks around the stitching and front of seats.
2) Attention to squeak on both front seats.
3) Check front seat locking mechanism, currently fails to lock after returning to upright position. Seat does not return base to original position on return has to be readjusted.
4) Squeak on dashboard in the area of the ignition key barrel.
5) Car pulls/drifts to the left and does not remain in straight-ahead position.
6) Both front side windows inside constantly dirty, it appears to be covered with grease of some description.
7) Handbrake fails to engage correctly, does not remain in set position (originally requested in October when I took delivery of car, not resolved).
8) Handbrake handle cover twists in your hand (originally requested in October when I took delivery of car, not resolved).
9) When removing keys from ignition, has been known to lock the doors until released by turning off alarm. Then would re-lock doors again in quick succession before releasing again with remote control (Emergency Service called out but could not resolve).
10) Drivers door window on occasions has failed to seal when closing door, leaves the window protruding roughly one inch from seal. Only cured by lowering window and raising again. Have since noticed scratches on outside of window as if it is catching on something inside the door.
11) Rear windscreen wiper fails to clean top half of screen.
12) Re call for corrosion check on outside of doors.
13) Paintwork around fuel filler cap appears to be cloudy in appearance, as if it has been rubbed down before spraying.
14) Rear drivers side roof trim keeps popping out since replacement front windscreen installed in December.
Car going in on Friday 1st February 2002, so here's hoping that they are fixed. If not then a letter will be going to BMW to reject the car.

Apart from that its a great car!!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Different Factories or Different Quality Control on Later Builds?!!??

When I see the list above, I can't believe we're talking about the same car!! It's as if they were built on different production lines.

I'm guessing po1966's was a September or October 2001 build so perhaps that's a clue.

I think it would help if everyone who posts about a fault states both the build date, and mileage when fault manifested itself (plus any other relevant details of spec such as suspension or wheel options).

When I'm stuck for something to do for a day or so, I had planned to trawl through all the faults posts for this info. That way I could compile a database showing which cars have had which faults, based on build date and spec.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To Globetrotter

I am really pleased with my Cooper. Yes it has a few faults, but they are completely outweighed by the satisfaction of owning and driving. Where i work there are about 50 high quality cars in the carpark. When i look out the mini is so distinctive i would not swap for any of them.

In the past, BMW released cars in Germany and mainland Europe before UK. As a result many of the problems are discovered and fixed in the first few months prior to release in UK. With mini, it is the other way round. We are the 'test-bed' for the rest of the world. Hopefully by the time you get yours most will be sorted. I imagine with you living in NY, the dealer will not be too far away. Be prepared for the odd re-visit for it to be tinkered with.

On the whole, you will enjoy it thoroughly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very pleased!

I have had my Cooper for three weeks. No regrets!

Only a couple of very small problems that the dealer has arranged to be fixed in Feb (when I could get a loan car).

The car is solid and great to drive. The handling is unbelieveable - no body roll. You are deceived into thinking that you are travelling slower than what you really are.

It IS a small car, and don't expect much comfort for any passenger sitting in the back, or expect to carry much luggage. But, hey, it IS a drivers car!!

(Sure wish I had a Cooper S tho', the power would be fantastic in this chassis!!)

Cheers

Garry;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts