MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm putting the last Zaino Z2 on yesterday, and cleaning the car up inside, I'm seeing all this cr*p get into the crevices between the rubber mat edges and the floor...there's plenty of sand, grass, etc. there -- and I"m thinking I can hardly wait until winter w/ tons more sand and stuff.

Yes, there are winter mats available that are deeper but I doubt they're cut as well as the rubber mats (meaning they won't go to the edges as well). So I'm thinking maybe I should put some garbage bags or something underneath to seal off this "gap". Anyone try this? Gotta be careful not to let 'em flap around and get tangle up w/ my feet and all.

Any other thoughts of prepping the interior against winter?

I didn't pick my car up until March of this year so this is my first winter....

·
Checkmate Blue & Silver
91 Posts
I have dark grey bath towels ( nice and thick not the cheap kind ! ) that I fold in half and lay over my rubber mats.....crazy I know but they absorb great and can be thrown in the wash weekly. I have this set up in all my cars, pretty much year round.

·
brown is back
4,278 Posts
The MINI factory rubber mats are great! But, they're not perfect. The only problem I have with them, which I believe is unavoidable, is that I get salt buildup on the carpet just above where the mat ends (above meaning closer to the roof of the car). Yeah, you get random sand and stuff around the edges of the mat too, but that's easy to vacuum up. The salt, on the other hand, is more of a pain.

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
i washed polished and waxed my car a few weeks ago and is now in storage till spring while i add bits to it :) thats pretty anal, but i went and got a bus pass instead. :D i too have towels in my car, but mostly for wee rub downs. heh.

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snid said:
The MINI factory rubber mats are great! But, they're not perfect. The only problem I have with them, which I believe is unavoidable, is that I get salt buildup on the carpet just above where the mat ends (above meaning closer to the roof of the car). Yeah, you get random sand and stuff around the edges of the mat too, but that's easy to vacuum up. The salt, on the other hand, is more of a pain.
Yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing I wanna avoid...glad to see I"m not the only one buggered by it....I like the towel bit, maybe there's some kind of towel w/ a poly lining, etc....And a towel might "wick" the melting snow / salt mixture up to its edge...wish I could do like KJ and not drive it, but not practical for me.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Just reread the unauthorized MINI owner's guide, it'll cheer you up. Remember, marks and dings and scratches and winter wear are motoring scars. They show a history and the experience of your MINI. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

Of course, most of us still do, but here in Detroit with our worst-in-the-nation roads and horrible salt obsession, there isn't much more you can do. :rolleyes:

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
As someone said to me once, why look after a car so much, your only looking after it for the next owner!!! Just drive it and enjoy it! :p

Mind you, I can talk!!! :rolleyes: I've just bought a cover for mine! :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
Use a crevice tool for your vacuum cleaner to get to those edge areas of your mat. Think more about winterizing your car than worrying about grass, etc. on your mat edge. Check wipers, use RainX on your windshield and other glass, give your car a good coat of wax (maybe too late now if you live in Bahstun), add 303 Aerospace Protectant to your door seals. Finally, get Blizzak winter tires.

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zgokart said:
Use a crevice tool for your vacuum cleaner to get to those edge areas of your mat. Think more about winterizing your car than worrying about grass, etc. on your mat edge. Check wipers, use RainX on your windshield and other glass, give your car a good coat of wax (maybe too late now if you live in Bahstun), add 303 Aerospace Protectant to your door seals. Finally, get Blizzak winter tires.
Yup, am doing all that, got my Nokians yesterday....trying to find Anco winter blades. Did the final Z2 last weekend <sigh>, bunkering down for the wintah....Guess I'm more concerned w/ the slush / salt, etc but will have to add carpet cleaner to the list in the spring....:rolleyes:

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
Aqualung said:
Yup, am doing all that, got my Nokians yesterday....trying to find Anco winter blades. Did the final Z2 last weekend <sigh>, bunkering down for the wintah....Guess I'm more concerned w/ the slush / salt, etc but will have to add carpet cleaner to the list in the spring....:rolleyes:
My impending MCSC will be wintering in the heated quarters shown in the attachment. If you expand the thumbnail, the flooring looks like it's made of sponge! - it isn't it's tile.
I, too, am a Zaino fan. Our Cr-V is wrapped up in 4 coats of Z2 for winter.

I'm going to try Collonite, though, on my dad's 02' Buick as they claim - and the guys over at Autopia agree - that it's detergent proof and therefore one could run through the occasional carwash without loosing their protection. I have great distain for carwashes, but sometimes in the dead of winter - when the car is just so filthy ----must----wash---car and end up slumming into a touchless wash.

I don't think the Collonite can go over Zaino though....Klasse SG maybe....Klasse AIO for sure.

Peter...sharing the concern...in Denver

Attachments

·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peter Crowl said:
My impending MCSC will be wintering in the heated quarters shown in the attachment. If you expand the thumbnail, the flooring looks like it's made of sponge! - it isn't it's tile.
I, too, am a Zaino fan. Our Cr-V is wrapped up in 4 coats of Z2 for winter.

I'm going to try Collonite, though, on my dad's 02' Buick as they claim - and the guys over at Autopia agree - that it's detergent proof and therefore one could run through the occasional carwash without loosing their protection. I have great distain for carwashes, but sometimes in the dead of winter - when the car is just so filthy ----must----wash---car and end up slumming into a touchless wash.

I don't think the Collonite can go over Zaino though....Klasse SG maybe....Klasse AIO for sure.

Peter...sharing the concern...in Denver
Sweet setup, I'm jealous! I bet if you ping Sal Zaino he'd tell you for sure.

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
Aqualung said:
Sweet setup, I'm jealous! I bet if you ping Sal Zaino he'd tell you for sure.
I'm sure he would as well...but I hear that Wax products don't bond well over Zaino.

The garage is what I got out of a 2600 sq ft add - on to our house that I did along with a friend and a pick-up crew. Been working on it 4 years now...just laid the flooring you see in the picture. So yes - it's very sweet, but it has taken a long time and a lot of work to get there...the MCSC is my reward :)

BTW..I was in England some years ago...my wife and I were taking a bus tour in London and we were riding along the Thames...I looked down (we were on the top level) and saw a wino laying on a bench along the river. He was the spitting image of Aqualung. Wasn't able to get a picture.

Peter...livin' the life, whatever that is, ..in Denver

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.