MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2005 Boost finally arrived at our dealer. Upgrade will be done next week as well as the Works 10 HP Upgrade. :)

Is version 23 (DVD 4-1/30) from last April still the latest nav firmware ?

TIA
 

·
Half a dent
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
latest version is v24-no sig upgrade though

I have it somewhere as a nero image -it's too big to upload anyway (gave my cd to someone else)

It is downloadable elsewhere (see elswhere on this forum) :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Rich_IX said:
Rumors are flying on the under-ground that there is a 2005/1 TMC DVD disk floating around...
Apparently there is a newer North America (NA) version of the DVD out there as well. There was a chap on this board who said that he has a new (NA) MINI with the GB voice. I've taken a look at the DVD and the voice instructions are indeed stored on the disc (as opposed to in the firmware). I have a early September built 05 MINI with sat nav and it came with a 2003-2 map data disc with only U.S. English, French, and Spanish (ENG, F, E) voices. According to my dealer and MINI USA, the 2003-2 DVD was the latest version when I bought my car. If there is a newer version available (such as a 2005-1 or a 2004-2 for NA), then I'd love to get a hold of a copy.

Anyone have any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
well

I'd check what dvd version I have because I have the British voice, but I must be a complete idiot because I can't find the Nav holder under either the main or passenger seat. Sure its there on the convertibles?


Howard
 

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
Definatly Howard in the UK its under the passenger seat I think on the convertables where as the hard top's its under the drivers. But you yanks drive on the wrong side of the road so im not sure what side ur's will be on :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
howardpm said:
I'd check what dvd version I have because I have the British voice, but I must be a complete idiot because I can't find the Nav holder under either the main or passenger seat. Sure its there on the convertibles?
Howard,

Yes, you were the chap I was talking about! :D

I'd absolutely LOVE to have a copy of your DVD with the GB voice.

Even with the convertibles, I'm pretty sure that it is still under the passenger seat in an American MINI (although, I guess that it could be under the driver's seat too). You have to access the nav computer from the back seat (i.e. it is under the front seat, but the drive door faces the back seats and so you have to access the door from the back seat area).

Simply pull out your rear floor mat (assuming you have one) and then look under the front seat. You'll see a thin black box attached to the floor. There's a small (about 1.5" high by 6" long) rubber/plastic flap that conceals the DVD drive door. Simply pull on the flap to open it (it hinges on the left and so it swings open to the left just like a book does). Behind that flap you'll see a red light. Right around the light is an eject button that you can push to eject out the DVD.

Once you have the DVD out, it will say the version on the disc label (like 2003-2, 2004-2, 2005-1, etc.). My early September built MCS has a 2003-2 disc, but yours (which I recall you said was built in October) must have a newer version due to it having the GB voice option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
mhoutman said:
correct, I have the BMW 2005/1 Europe Pro release in my 5-series (E61)
Yes, but that's a BMW nav disc. There is a different nav disc for the MINI (i.e. it's not the same version as the one for the BMW). However, I'm willing to bet that the BMW nav disc will work just fine in the MINI. I've been trying to get a hold of a North America 2004-2 BMW nav disc to try in my MINI, but I've been unable to find one so far. If I had to bet, I'd say that the only difference between them is the packaging and the part number. I don't know for sure though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
I called ask MINI but they claim to know nothing about the british voice being restored
I am hoping that when I go in for my first service next month and get the recall done that I will be able to get this new DVD by then.

What do they charge for the Update DVDs $200 or so? does anyone know? and is swapping the DVD all that is needed to make it work with the new voice?

Given that this is a fix to return the proper voice I think they should not charge for it but consider it to be under the 3yr 36,000 plan... think about it why is an updated nav disk any different than the software rev to the car? or new brake pad for that matter... they do call it bumper to bumper after all :D
 

·
Happy Motorer!
Joined
·
60 Posts
I picked up my convertible last weekend...

... and I can confirm the British voice is definitely there! In fact, after hearing her for a couple of days, I'm not sure I can stand the American lady's voice (no insult indended to my own compadres).

For those of you with convertibles, the DVD system is now under the driver's seat, not the passenger seat. For some reason it was changed in the convertible. We had a fit trying to figure out why mine didn't come with the DVD player installed until we had the bright idea to check under the other seat! Just pull back the black rubber flap and you'll see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
DeLaura said:
... and I can confirm the British voice is definitely there! In fact, after hearing her for a couple of days, I'm not sure I can stand the American lady's voice (no insult indended to my own compadres).

For those of you with convertibles, the DVD system is now under the driver's seat, not the passenger seat. For some reason it was changed in the convertible. We had a fit trying to figure out why mine didn't come with the DVD player installed until we had the bright idea to check under the other seat! Just pull back the black rubber flap and you'll see it.
DeLaura,

Ha! That's great news!

Is there any way that you can pop out your DVD and let us know what version it is? The version number (such as 2005-1, 2004-2, etc.) will be printed right on top of the DVD.

Man! I'd LOVE to get a hold of a copy of that DVD. I was pretty mad at MINI when my brand new 2005 MCS came with a 2003 map data disc (I don't feel that I should have to pay $200 for a new one when I just purchased my car in September!).

BTW, when you hit the "MENU" button on your nav system and then select the "Settings" option from the menu screen, what firmware version is listed (it will appear in the upper right-hand corner of the nav screen)? I believe that the latest version of the nav system firmware is 4-1/40, but it would be nice to have conformation of that since your car is brand new.

Thanks!
 

·
Happy Motorer!
Joined
·
60 Posts
Don't think this is much help...

TheOfficeMaven said:
DeLaura,

Ha! That's great news!

Is there any way that you can pop out your DVD and let us know what version it is? The version number (such as 2005-1, 2004-2, etc.) will be printed right on top of the DVD.

Man! I'd LOVE to get a hold of a copy of that DVD. I was pretty mad at MINI when my brand new 2005 MCS came with a 2003 map data disc (I don't feel that I should have to pay $200 for a new one when I just purchased my car in September!).

BTW, when you hit the "MENU" button on your nav system and then select the "Settings" option from the menu screen, what firmware version is listed (it will appear in the upper right-hand corner of the nav screen)? I believe that the latest version of the nav system firmware is 4-1/40, but it would be nice to have conformation of that since your car is brand new.

Thanks!
Mine is the same as yours. Under settings, it shows 4-1/40 and on the disc itself it says North America 2003-2. My car was built on October 16th, and I believe they ship the DVD with the car, so I would assume it is the latest version. Funny, though, my MA didn't seem to think the British lady's voice was available until I was on the settings screen and said, "hey, what does GB stand for?" and sure enough, it means Great Britain (I assume)!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
DeLaura said:
Mine is the same as yours. Under settings, it shows 4-1/40 and on the disc itself it says North America 2003-2. My car was built on October 16th, and I believe they ship the DVD with the car, so I would assume it is the latest version. Funny, though, my MA didn't seem to think the British lady's voice was available until I was on the settings screen and said, "hey, what does GB stand for?" and sure enough, it means Great Britain (I assume)!
DeLaura,

Hmm... Okay so you have the same firmware version and the same map data disc version as I do. The only difference then would be the GB voice option. I've double checked my nav settings and there's definitely not a GB voice option (I only have ENG, F, & E). I also put my map data disc into my computer and checked out the files. There are files for English, French, and Spanish, but nothing for GB. Thus, at some point, MINI/NavTech must have simply added back in the GB voice option on the newest batch of discs (even though they have the same map data???). I guess this was to please all of the folks who have been asking them to add back in the GB voice to the nav system.

The map data really does need an update, but maybe that won't come until some time in the new year. However, it's still really cool having the GB voice and I'd still like to get it for my nav system. :D

Thanks for the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
I sure hope it is just a DVD swap for those of us with 04s I hope someone with an older MINI who gets a copy of the DVD with British voice from a 'friend' can try it and let us know
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top