MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a dumbass question but how do you get the MINI up on jack stands as in this picture? I thought there were only 2 jacking points on each side :confused:

Attachments

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, but where do you position the trolley jack in order to put the stands under the jacking points?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
This is an interesting quandry because according to the Haynes manual axle stands should only be placed under the jacking points. Jacks including trolley jacks should only be used under the vehicle jacking points. Never put the trolley jack under the "sill,engine sump, floor pan, subframe or directly under any of the steering or suspension components". This from the people who claim to do the work in the manual themselves. So for a gold star who knows how to get an axle stand under a jacking point that has been raised by a trolley jack :confused: .

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Steve, that's what was puzzling me. Does one position the jack on the subframe?

·
Registered
988 Posts
When I had mine up on stands for a couple of days, I jacked on the jacking points (eventually...broke my dads 15 year old trolley jack in the process), then placed the stands under the frame, front and back.

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
tis daft that you should not work on a car on the jack?
but with only 4 points you are left stuck in a no win position?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Haynes instructions are for jacking not stands.

I normally put the stands under the frame as well
My Haynes says "axle stands positioned under the vehicle jacking points"
I usually put my axle stands where the suspension arms locate on the body but am careful not to put any weight on the suspension arms themselves. It's annoying there isn't an obvious official placement but I suppose Mini want you to take it to a dealer :( .

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
there are loads of places to locate a jack. usually i use the wishbone. on back of car on the bottom of the suspension. Just dont jack on engine. its pretty common sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts