MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my MCS 2005 for about 9 days now. Seems to me I get cut off a lot more than in my old car, where someone is on a cross streat and pulls out in front of me. Anyone else notice this? Seems that people must think that because it's so small that it's not moving as fast as it is?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Must be a USA phenomenon according to the majority of cars you encounter in your part of the world. The car in which I was cut off most was my Volkswagen Polo, a decent but very innocent looking subcompact car, especially in the dark green paint I had. Having the BMW 3-series with M exterior pack was much better and the MCS has the best right of way authority I´ve ever experienced on German roads. That may be associated with my spec, the lurid EB + white roof + white bonnet stripes + Xenon headlamps. So most of the other drivers do not dare crossing or entering the road close in front of me.

Ways to reduce being cut off:

- Switch on your headlamps all the time. Illuminated cars appear more dynamic for other motorists. European studies say driving with light all day can reduce overall accidents by 10 percent and confrontation accidents by 30 percent! :eek:

- Don´t back off when approaching a side road. Slowing down is like making out a written invitation to enter the road. It may sound aggressive, but IMHO only an unmistakable driving style (including consequent use of the indicators) leads to a predictable behavior of other motorists.

- Add bonnet stripes. :D

Klaus

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you've got Xenon headlights use them, even in broad daylight. I think this gives you a lot more presence on the road. It certainly works for me.

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
I think part of it is the fact you are driving a brand new car. It seemed when I got mine every clown on the road was trying to run into me, a year later it seems to have settled down a bit. One thing I dont like is the position of the horn, not easily found without hitting c/control too. What I want is a train horn..anyone ever seen the movie "Goodbye Pork Pie"? :cool:

·
Gotta love the Turns...
9 Posts
gr8britwjh said:
If you've got Xenon headlights use them, even in broad daylight. I think this gives you a lot more presence on the road. It certainly works for me.
+1....

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's too bad, alopukhin. I haven't noticed being cut off so much (does it happen on particular routes? I'm wondering if it's cranky commuters with jealousy issues, hehe) as having every guy in a souped up car trying to show off. Happened today. I just laugh. Got nothing to prove, hehe, I'm happy.

I've actually noticed that sometimes folks are even nicer, (like letting me change lanes to avoid a parked truck) that never used to happen in my other car (a real beater if ya ever saw one).

Maybe it is the bonnet stripes. ;) But hey, alopukhin, I haven't seen your car in the flesh yet, but I'm betting that it's not exactly inconspicuous either. :)

Hope it's just cranky jealous commuters. At least I find I can get around the idiots better in this car. :p

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
shijinmini said:
That's too bad, alopukhin. I haven't noticed being cut off so much (does it happen on particular routes? I'm wondering if it's cranky commuters with jealousy issues, hehe) as having every guy in a souped up car trying to show off. Happened today. I just laugh. Got nothing to prove, hehe, I'm happy.

I've actually noticed that sometimes folks are even nicer, (like letting me change lanes to avoid a parked truck) that never used to happen in my other car (a real beater if ya ever saw one).
i second that

i find that people generally are nice to me when i drive the mini, however i think others think im the showy type when i do a quick pass on them.... :confused:

maybe its just me

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Here in Massachusetts that particular skill is taught in driver education classes ;)

I had the DRLs programmed and I'm convinced they've "saved" me on at least 3-4 occasions. Sometimes from people entering / crossing and also on narrow roads where the big honkin' SUV is in my lane coming around the corner.

I think the white roof was started to increase the original Mini's visibility in races....so that also helps for some folks (not me w/ a black roof).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a feeling it may be new car paranoia kicking in...but I like the idea of setting the daytime running lights. Do they charge for that?

shijinmini - looked for you in the parking lot of the BAJ last Wed., must have been the wrong time. When are you usually there?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm usually there from 7:30pm on till whenever on Wed. evenings. But the little Mini hides well behind most other cars. ;)

Scary thing happened to me last night up in Woodstock, NY. I was looking for the parking lot of the place I was going to and so going fairly slow. There wasn't one where I thought there might be (on the right) so I decided to turn into the lot across the street on the left. I signaled and since no traffic was oncoming I started to turn. Some IDIOT decided to pass me across a double yellow line and honked at me and missed me by inches (the MINI stopped wonderfully). This was a little road. Guess they were impatient as well as being an idiot. Shook me up pretty badly but my friend told me to take a deep breath, haha. (I'm afraid if someone runs into my new car I will end up in jail for aggravated assault, haha).

Second time too (a driver's ed student didn't stop at a red light (making right turn) and I had to serve out of the way - the instructor was waving his hands frantically).

But for the most part, I think the high visibility of my Mini helps.

·
"Big Munch"
90 Posts
I find myself ZIPPING all thru traffic, noone cuts me off ...LOL :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
The worst problem I have, is, people crawling up my butt on the interstate. I can be crusing at 80-85 mph and some a44 in a Mitsubishi is up my tailpipe.

Only one thing to do...
Drop a gear and pop it up to 105. They can't cope over 100 :p

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My hubby followed me one morning to take my MCS to the shop for upgrades, and when we got there he said, "Did you know 3 people have almost hit you in the past 2 miles? It's like you're invisible!" Tell me about it.

Good thing my MINI is so maneuverable, as I am constantly having to avoid the crazies here in their Mega Vans and other oversized vehicles...

As someone once said, I feel like one of the smart mammals running around all the dinosaurs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts