MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find this a little tricky at times. It's happened 3-4 times since I've had the car. For example it just wouldn't go into 2nd today and I couldn't get into any other gear, I must have panicked and selected reverse instead of 1st- not great on a hill!
It's hard to explain but I do find the gearbox a bit dodgy!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nope no problem after 9,000 miles only couldn't get it into reverse twice but put it into 1st then went straight in

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had the same problem 2 or 3 times early on during my 19k miles in my Dooper.

I think that because the gear change is quite notchy and precise, it is quite different to every other gearbox I've encountered in previous cars. But I do like the mechanism (getrag); it just isn't very forgiving!

It happened to me very recently in fact, and I also chose reverse, quickly realising my mistake due it just not quite feeling right!:eek:

But once you get used to the gears/transmission it does feeel good, honest:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I test drove mine it was a nightmare, they replaced the selector before I picked it up, as they said it was worn. Been spot on ever since.

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
it gets better over time - mine has done 17000 miles now and is a lot easier to engage now.

I have the parking sensors too which means it beeps when reverse is selected - helped a bit when i first got the MINI

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In everyday driving it feels ok-ish- I do allow for the fact hasn't reached 1000 miles on the clock yet.
It's the just that the few times the problem happened to me, it's like trying to change gears in mash potatoes! Just couldn't find the appropriate one- again, very hard to explain! Never ever had this problem in other cars, but then again only had VAG cars.
I'll give it time and update this thread!

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
i get it too, just sometimes i completely lose the ability to find a gear, put it down to a combination of a quite precise gearbox and me being a bit cack handed, then i get in to a tizzy if i've got the wrong gear and am trying to get away at lights but panicking...

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i get it too, just sometimes i completely lose the ability to find a gear, put it down to a combination of a quite precise gearbox and me being a bit cack handed, then i get in to a tizzy if i've got the wrong gear and am trying to get away at lights but panicking...

The tope this is EXACTLY what happens to me, and from memory you got your car about the same time as mine. All is normal then, we're just a bit cack handed as you say!!:D

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
yep i think you got yours just a couple of weeks after me - i won't start worrying about it being the gearbox's fault until my 3 years warranty is almost up!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just lately I've having a lot of trouble with my gearbox - since I've had the car nearly 12 months its a bit irritating for it just to have started!
Most of the trouble is around reverse, first and second. It just won't seem to go in to them (as where I had no trouble before).
Think I'll be booking mine in to get it looked at!

·
Registered
382 Posts
In everyday driving it feels ok-ish- I do allow for the fact hasn't reached 1000 miles on the clock yet.
It's the just that the few times the problem happened to me, it's like trying to change gears in mash potatoes! Just couldn't find the appropriate one- again, very hard to explain! Never ever had this problem in other cars, but then again only had VAG cars.
I'll give it time and update this thread!
It seems you do less miles than me!

Out of intrest, what made you go for the Dooper over the Cooper?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wonder if a stubborn gearbox is a Dooper thing? Since I've just noticed Sony's is a Dooper too.
Mine is being booked in at the dealer's when I come back from New York as I'm not happy with the gearbox - I'm really struggling with reverse, first and second.

If they say its 'normal' I'm considering changing to a Cooper.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems you do less miles than me!

Out of intrest, what made you go for the Dooper over the Cooper?

I had a Derv A3 and was used to it. I test drove the Cooper and it felt very slow, wasn't used to have to press the pedal like a madman to make any progress.
I used to do a lot of miles- now I don't! Mainly bought it because I like how diesels drive. Cheap as chips to fill up to, £1.01 per litre today!!!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts