MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm. Very interesting. Especially didn't understand the part about MINI's making more cars on the road and more pollution. And always gotta love that "IT's MERICUN to drive huge cars and use as much gasoline as I want." Followed then by "if you don't see it my way, you're wrong."

·
a.k.a Handsome Rob
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerome81 said:
Hmmm. Very interesting. Especially didn't understand the part about MINI's making more cars on the road and more pollution. And always gotta love that "IT's MERICUN to drive huge cars and use as much gasoline as I want." Followed then by "if you don't see it my way, you're wrong."
My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:
Tavis1 :red:

·
kgouin
481 Posts
You have to love this quote "Trafford said small cars just mean more vehicles on the road — and thus, more pollution." It's too bad these SUV owners don't realize that they are killing the air that their children are growing up in.

By law SUVs can emit 30% more carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons and 75% more nitrogen oxides than passenger cars.

SUVs add an additional 5,000 tons per day of smog-forming pollutants to our air during the summer.

Federal law permits SUVs to waste 33% more gasoline than passenger cars. This is an average, some SUVs waste more than this.

Drivers of small SUVs are involved in more fatal rollover accidents than any other type of vehicle.

http://www.suv.org/environ.html

http://www.sierraclub.org/globalwarming/suvreport/suvthreat.asp

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
The thing I'm sure scares a lot of you is tha the popular media view (see above) of America is the view most of the world get to see. :eek:
Exactly. Someone with an extreme opinion and national stereotypes are developed. Quite embarrassing, actually. I love Europe (of course it helps that I live here for now ;) )

This article also proves the fact that you have a degree does not make you smart! :D

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
The thing I'm sure scares a lot of you is tha the popular media view (see above) of America is the view most of the world get to see. :eek:
Live in Canada. We get to see it alllll. The good, the bad, and the tubby.

-CW

·
Registered
201 Posts
"John Finn, 57, of Bath, Mich., is leery of the safety of compacts — high-end or not — when surrounded by sport utilities on the highway. He said he wouldn’t let his children drive anything but SUVs when they were teenagers."

Yes, it's much better to give the kids vehicles that allow them to mangle other cars rather than sending them to a driving school and teaching them not to crash.

"Trafford said small cars just mean more vehicles on the road — and thus, more pollution. She doesn’t think compacts like the Mini make sense in the U.S."

Yes, I always drive two MINIs simultaneously since they're half the size of a big SUV.

What idiots.

Mark

·
Registered
425 Posts
MarkS said:
"Trafford said small cars just mean more vehicles on the road — and thus, more pollution. She doesn’t think compacts like the Mini make sense in the U.S."
LoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoL :p :p :p

This is the funniest thing I have read in ages!

·
Registered
201 Posts
This sort of "let's ask the person in the street" nonsense always really annoys me. It's just sloppy journalism. Let's face it, you can always find some random idiot to say anything about any subject. Who cares what they think? But yet they continue to print and broadcast this sort of tripe. It actually started out as a fairly decent article but then it degenerated.

Mark

·
Off to the Dealer
161 Posts
“We’re not Europe, so let’s try to stop being Europe,” she said. “Let’s be proud of our heritage — we’re big and happy. Why don’t we just have big cars?”
Sometimes I'm just so proud to be an American. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ahhah.. I thought that was hilarious. The article starts boasting that Small cars are the next thing, then quotes people saying they don't want to use small cars. Written with the oil producers in mind <Grin>

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Oh what a brilliant article! Even more fodder to add to my files why this country disgusts me but yet I have to love it as a mother loves her child.

I always laugh extra hard at these types of news bits because I think about what our European ex-friends are thinking when they read it. When I lived overseas, about 50% of all Europeans I met and associated with took about one full week to believe that I was truly born and raised in the U.S. That's how skewed their view was of our backwards country.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm surprised that the 5'11' woman quoted feels cramped in MINIs--my 6'0 boyfriend doesn't feel cramped in mine.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.