MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting my new Cooper around November and for about 6 or 7 months I'll be parking it in the school parking lot everyday. Last year 5 cars were broken into and had their stereos stolen. I will be ordering the HK stereo... should I be concerned. However, these cars that were broken into had big subs in the back and fancy head units. Also, I've been reading more and more threads about their MINI's being broken into, stuff stolen from them, and even, (gasp) the car being stolen. How worried should I be about my Cooper in the school parking lot? I doubt it would get stolen (right? don't you NEED the key?) but how about the stereo? Thanks,

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nope i wouldn't be worried, i have had the HK, and to get that out of the car would be a pain in the :bad::bad::bad::bad:. First the HK head unit doesn't look like anything other then the standard Unit that comes with the mini, second to get the thing out of the car, they will have to start unscrewing thing, then take the down pipe's out, then undo some screws behind there, then they would have to get the amp out of the back storage part, because that is the only head unit it will talk too, then they would have to start taking all the back and door panelling off to get at the speakers!!!!

So all in all i wouldn't worry one bit, just dont leave any CD's in the car, or anything on show. If you have an iPod get a ice link for it, then just play that in the car, and take it out when you are finshed!!!

No Worries :D :D :D

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
I think you's be ok, its just yobs c the headunit, and just assume there will be a sub in there, and chances are there is. Also, cos the HK setup doesnt have a sub, its not one of these boom boom noises you can blatentely hear from the outside, so you wont atttract attention imo. should be fine, as Shockwave_Factory said, the headunit looks pretty standard :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
The actual amp for the HK is in the boot and that's meant to be welded to the chasis and impossible to remove!

·
BMW Traitor
1,192 Posts
This was one of the reasons I wouldn't get a nice car in HS, heck even in college. Not to be too pessimistic, but I can guarantee that you will get dings and chips on your paint from your fellow students who could care less about your car. And you might even get a jealous student key your car. That happened alot at my HS. Not trying to be a downer, but just warning you of some stuff that might happen to your MINI. But that'll be the extent of it, your MINI probably won't get stolent, since they'd have to tow it out of there and that'd be too much trouble.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
The H/K head unit is actually the same (unless they changed something) as the normal Head unit, and it will only fit in a MINI. Basically no reason to steal it, since there isn't a market for original equiptment anyway.

I'm sure all of the radios that were stolen were aftermarket, which can be sold.

A MINI can be stolen by sticking it on a flatbed, or towing it away without the key. So I'd advise getting the alarm, which includes a tilt sensor, as well as an interior sensor to prevent people from breaking the windows and stealing stuff from the inside. It may not help much, but its not very expensive and will give you piece of mind.

Also, Barnabas is right, your car will get dinged by careless people, almost certainly. Not sure if someone will key it, but dings and dents from accidents and people not paying attention are very common in such lots. Just be prepared for it, and try to park far away from people if you can.

·
Slave to my MINI
316 Posts
In addition to the logistics necessary to remove a MINI's radio, even if the amp and all the other equipment was stolen along with the head unit, there is still a security code that would have to be entered for the radio to function, known only to you and BMW/MINI (and maybe your dealer, but I don't know).

But I would definitely get an alarm...it may not prevent break-ins completely, but at least it provides some measure of deterrence and peace of mind.

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, so the HK sounds pretty secure, I'm not worried about that at all. About dings and dents, yeah, I suppose those are inevitable, though unfortunate. As for parking away from people, in the parking lot... yeah, right! That parking lot is PACKED! However, what I can do, is park in the neighborhood across the street... something to consider I supoose.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
From my experience, if you can choose spots, you can pick them in a more secluded area, especially if the lot isn't square, there could be better and worse spots. Also, depending on who you park next to. A nice well taken care of but older car is your best bet. New cars the owners can often time not care because they're too busy to think of other people, and old rust buckets don't care because their car is old.

Neighborhood parking could work though. You'll just have to figure out what works best for you. Dents and dings can be fixed though, so it is probably less of a worry then theft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
stryder
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing