MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, haven't posted for a while since I moved to the Outback at Longreach in Queensland.

The birthplace of QANTAS, and the only town for 100's of KM with a resident MINI, and now my closest MINI Garage is about a 10 hours non-stop drive and 1,000 Km away !! :eek: :eek:

When I moved from Ballan, Victoria to Longreach I had my car packed to the roof with everything I could possibly fit in. I'd post pics but don't know how.

I couldn't open the glove box for the whole 3 day journey because I had my breadmaker on the floor in front of it.
Anyway when I arrived and unpacked the car,I found that the glove box lid is now jammed shut.

At no time during the trip did the breadmaker lean against the lid, however its as though its now locked.

Mike, in Longreach, Qld.

PS, for the runflat tyre sceptics out there, yes I'm still on runflats, and not a care in the world..:ebblack:

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Bad luck, Mike

This could be cecause something inside the glovebox has moved and is jamming the door. But if the handle is now loose, then it could be another of the failed catches that has been a problem that has been identified and reported on somewhere on one of the threads. I suffered this problem (basically a fragile locking mechanism), and thatnks to the info found on MINI2.com, the delaer respected this as a warranty repair.

Good luck - hope you get it sorted ASAP

Ian

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad luck, Mike

This could be cecause something inside the glovebox has moved and is jamming the door. But if the handle is now loose, then it could be another of the failed catches that has been a problem that has been identified and reported on somewhere on one of the threads. I suffered this problem (basically a fragile locking mechanism), and thatnks to the info found on MINI2.com, the delaer respected this as a warranty repair.

Good luck - hope you get it sorted ASAP

Ian
Hi and thanks for your reply.:)

The catch moves ok. It moves by the same amount regardless of which way I have the lock turned.

Mike.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Hi and thanks for your reply.:)

The catch moves ok. It moves by the same amount regardless of which way I have the lock turned.

Mike.
Hmm, once it was broken my catch moved very easily, regardless of which way the lock was turned - at no time was there any "feel" or resistance in the handle mechanism. I did manage eventually to get it open, but it involved getting a thin piece of steel into the gap and "springing" the lock from the inside. Not easy, but it worked. Still needed a new glovebox though - apparrentl it wasn't possible to replace the locking mechanism for some reason (but the lock barrel had to be transferred to the new box, so it could still be opened with the ignition key).

I'm sure there's another thread here with more info, but just now have not been able to find it....sorry

ian

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi

When I put my glovebox in, I managed to break the catch (the same problem many people have had with it). I spent a happy hour putting it all back together and working out how it works. If you can get the glovebox open, it is possible to fix the catch without having to get a new glovebox, but only if all the parts are still there. The bits that go wrong are very small but are simple to fix once you have worked out how it all opperates. I'd recomend breaking into it, then taking the glovebox out, and having a play with the lock mechanism before you go and buy a new one/get mini to replace it. The worst that happens is you break it and still have to get a new one!

PS you need very small hands to fix the lock mechanism! I don't and ended up with cut hands....but I won in the end!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts