MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, im having an issue with a no start on my mini cooper d 2008 1.6 its the psa engine, ive been trying to test the glow plugs and am getting no result whatsoever, ive used the multi-meter and getting no reading, and also test light with no result, what does this mean , i was under the impression that a faulty plug would show high ohms reading and not nothing at all, test equipment is all good.
any insight would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
depends on how they fail, try giving it a sniff of easy start if starts then you know its fuel issue or a weak battery or starter, direct injection diesels will run no glow plugs should start if its all healthy, if it runs on a sniff of easy start you then know the engines is all good as such, i have had injectors play up where wont start on key but if use easy start will start and say running until switched off then need to repeat a sniff again to start,, leak off test on injectors will show up the bad one,
glow plugs can fail in a few ways, if positive to earth short circuit then would show high resistance but if go open circuit ie the electrode has burnt out a gap to break the circuit that will show as no resistance open circuit,, remove them stick across the battery with a jump lead see what glows and what dont bets way, or if car has north or 50k on it treat it to a new set as is one as failed the rest are not far off
IMPORTANT ALWAYS REMOVE GLOW PLUGS ON A VERY HOT ENGINE LOWERS THE REST OF SNAPPING OFF A LOT,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thanks mike, i got it to run today with easy start but very briefly, so as you say fuelling issue is probable.
getting a set of plugs anyway as the car has done over 100k. got a code P3002 after short turnover on easy start
think this is fuel pressure related.
many thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
common are injector fail and its bleeds off rail pressure, another one is on high pressure pump on back of engine stop and pressure control valve its has 3 wires going to it held in by 3 allen bolts,
pull the diesel return pipe off after the 4 injectors and crank it if loads of dies comes out then its a injector gone

·
Registered
5,368 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi mike,
many thanks for this ill give it a go, its very frustrating trying to find this issue but your help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
have you got a good diagnostics tool with live data, if not you need one really and if its a injector then need programming to the mev 17.4 ecu not many cheap ones will do this, that said get your self a autocom cdp plus off ebay £40 ish that will do all that and will also show you what fuel pressures and where while cranking etc link below for a idea
link below s for a full fuction type ie has the double printed circuit board some chaeper ones dont and are rubbish compared
bets thing it works on all cars, i just done a 2002 cooper s with it nd reset all adaptions and other controllers handy thing to own takes out the guessing bit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi mike i have a cheap obd2 bluetooth reader and torque app, think its an elm 327, its quite limited.
funds are limited at the moment but soon as i get paid ill look into that.
again thanks for your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts