MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2011 Cooper D in for service. 2 fault codes show glow plug cylinder 1 & 2 activation. Although there are no symptoms at the moment i have been advised to replace them sooner rather than later.
I have been quoted $670 to replace all 4. They stated because price is more for labour than a $79 glow plug it would be advisable to change all 4.
any thoughts please.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I've had a fault on my glowplug circuit for 2 years and the car still starts perfect on cold morings and it does get pretty cold here in Scotland in the winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, yes one fault code came up on the service a year ago, now its showing 2. Wonder what to do !

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's actually causing problems starting. The glowplugs are a pain to get to and they can also snap if stuck in

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had glow plug issues recently (with 2010 cooper d). Engine started cutting out at low speeds - amber engine warning light coming on and losing all power. It then struggled to auto start. Felt like fuel wasn’t getting to engine. Diagnotics at local garage was saying fuel pressure issue - changed fuel filter but that didn’t resolve it. Mini then diagnosed it as 2 faulty glow plugs and recommended replacing all 4. Did that and it’s now running well with slightly improved mpg. In hindsight it was probably struggling a bit and the colder weather made it fail completely. So it will run for a while but it’s a pain if it fails and you can’t get it restarted. I’d recommend getting them changed if that’s the issue.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I had glow plug issues recently (with 2010 cooper d). Engine started cutting out at low speeds - amber engine warning light coming on and losing all power. It then struggled to auto start. Felt like fuel wasn’t getting to engine. Diagnotics at local garage was saying fuel pressure issue - changed fuel filter but that didn’t resolve it. Mini then diagnosed it as 2 faulty glow plugs and recommended replacing all 4. Did that and it’s now running well with slightly improved mpg. In hindsight it was probably struggling a bit and the colder weather made it fail completely. So it will run for a while but it’s a pain if it fails and you can’t get it restarted. I’d recommend getting them changed if that’s the issue.
really dont want to be running them diesels with faulty glow plugs as this stops regens and causes more soot build up on start up this then blocks up the particulate filter in the exhaust system and within a few miles a £15 glow plug turns in to a £1000 bill for dpf and labour and on some the back pressure and heat kills off the turbo causing diesel runaway where engine runs on its own engine oil until destroys its self, also should trwat the dpf has a service item around 70-80k needs changing or professional cleaning service,, also when changing glow plugs always do them with engine nice and hot reduces the chance of snapping off from past experience,, if snap off its a world of hurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing