MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
CHEQUE IT OUT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive currently got a blue flame exhaust, with two ovals on each end not the middle(the one from minisport)
i was thinking of going back to standard, as i am now commuting to work and its so annoying on the motorway, sounds ace on normal roads but too loud and manotonous on motorways.

i am running a 15% pulley plugs and pipercross induction, will i notice a difference in performance.

the website claims 10-15 bhp increase. dont want to swap if it will feel a lot slower:angry:

http://www.minisport.com/newmini/acatalog/info_NMPEXH100.html

cheers

·
a.k.a. BrainRush
160 Posts
I also have a 15% pulley and an induction kit, but do you really think that roughly 10% of your car's power will be lost by adding a few extra bends in the exhaust?

The biggest difference I think you'll maybe notice is difference in weight, which will net you 10 or so pounds, and since each 10 pounds added to a car is equivelant to taking away 1 hp, I don't think you'll notice much difference. unlike the days of yore, modern cars arre designed to be more fuel efficient, as opposed to cost efficient to produce. So where as a car in the 60's or 70's would have a cast iron exhaust manifold log leading to a muffler with more kinds and baffles than you could car about, modern cars are more and more often equiped with a tubular exhaust manifold and into a better researched exhaust system. my 83 mercedes 500sl averaged 10-ish MPG, now cars similarly engined cars are doubling that.

in short, if you have the stock rear bumper, and are sick of the sound, I'd go for it.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Yeah, I doubt you'll really notice much of a difference in power if you go back to standard. Changing the cat-back exhaust makes much less of a difference (and that's even with best in class products like Milltek) than changing the manifold.

Take off the fancy exhaust and flog it :)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I doubt you'll notice a difference. Why not go to stock and then put a GTT reroute 'one ball' pipe on to reduce restrictions and weight on the stock system. I think that GTT do this section for about £60-70 and I know that places such as ThinkMINI can fit them.... or in fact a decent local custom exhaust place could do it. Will give you a little more burble than stock without loosing you power.

TBH I know someone who had a blueflams and he didn't rate it for the power on the S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts