MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Car nearly 3 weeks now and done 1500mls.

When I picked my Car up it had a mild drift to the left but as time has gone by the Car now has the ability to cross from the outside lane to the inside lane without touching the steering wheel.

It's getting a lot worse and with have to go back to the dealer soon.

Anybody else had a Car which was OK when picked up but has got worse.

I've never known a boot on a Car to attract so much dirt - mucky hands everytime I open it (a pain).

·
Registered
59 Posts
A bit Off/topic but ours never stays clean. It only lasts about 2 days before you can't open the boot without getting dirty hands. I suppose they're not the most aerodynamic though are they?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
PeterboroughBoy said:

I've never known a boot on a Car to attract so much dirt - mucky hands everytime I open it (a pain).
Does the chilli pack come with the roof spoiler ?....... If not it might improve the dirt problem. Won;t do much about your drifting problem though.

I'm so confused over this "drift/pull" problem. I have posted elsewhere a reply I got from BMW over this issue. But it certainly doesn't explain your cars "getting worse" syndrome. Some owners have gone to the expense of having wheel alignments carried out, and still the problem remains. This would make sense if the MINI is designed with a built in bias, but maybe the software the machines use for the MINI is bug ridden like the stuff controlling the siemens module for the electrics. BMW do have a position on the "left pull" issue, but I was told that doesn't mean it's still not being investigated, so keep us posted.
i know it;s obvious but have you hit a kerb or pothole or something that might have aggrevated the problem ?

cheers

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
The fact that on some cars the drift gets worse could go to prove the theory of the springs moving in their seats, causing the steering settings to change.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
R1 said:
The fact that on some cars the drift gets worse could go to prove the theory of the springs moving in their seats, causing the steering settings to change.
Hi R1.

Your silver Cooper doesn;t suffer from this problem from memory. I find it so strange that with BMW replacing cars that have this problem, they must have loads of test beds to figure out exactly what the problem is. I was told BMW's official position is that it's a camber issue + the left hand designed in bias. If this was the case, there is no way that BMW would be replacing cars over that particular problem. So logicaly their "official" position is not the same as what they think is wrong with the cars. If a car "pulls" you would think there would be something obviously wrong with it. It's like a surreal dream..... sigh. I know i'n going over the same well trodden path, but there's got to be something other than the front suspension components at fault. Someone mentioned the steering pump.

Sorry, I'm rambling......

cheers

:)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Basil, my car does drift to the left. It also drifts to the right when I tried it on a stretch of road on the R/H side. I have told my dealer that if BMW finds that it could be better than to let me know. I just don't keep going on about it! ;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
R1 said:
Basil, my car does drift to the left. It also drifts to the right when I tried it on a stretch of road on the R/H side. I have told my dealer that if BMW finds that it could be better than to let me know. I just don't keep going on about it! ;)
Thanks R1. I understand. I should do the same. I don't even have my car yet, and missed out on a test drive in a press Cooper by the skin of my teeth. I've posted the results of my conversation with BMW Australia elsewhere. I should just sit back and shut up about it myself now.

cheers

:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
R1 said:
Couldn't decide which of the many "left pull" threads to add my comments to, so I hope you don't mind me choosing this one.

My brand new MINI One (collected 24 Jan) does have a perceptible drift to the left. However, it does seem to drift more on some roads than others. And it did also seem to track dead straight on a car park surface (one very brief test). I haven't yet had an opportunity to try driving on the wrong side of a road...

These are only VERY INITIAL impressions, and I want to do some more tests, but my feeling is that - so far as my car is concerned - it is just VERY camber sensitive. I may change my mind after more driving. Is it annoying? No - only to the extent that it makes me worry in case it IS a fault. I certainly don't have to tug on the wheel to keep the car straight.

Please don't think I'm trying to deny that some people have genuine problems. If you have a pull which will track you right to left over the centre of a road, then of course that is not right. All I am saying is that - if your new MINI arrives and it drifts left and you think "oh my god I have the syndrome too" - it may just be that the car is steering with the camber to an extent which you have not experienced before. Do some experimenting before you fear the worst.

Apart from anything else, it's not going to help BMW find a fix to the genuine problem if they are besieged by people who think they have a problem but don't.

As I said, though, these are just my very early impressions and maybe I'll change my mind...

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Originally posted by IndieBlueOne My brand new MINI One (collected 24 Jan) does have a perceptible drift to the left. However, it does seem to drift more on some roads than others. And it did also seem to track dead straight on a car park surface (one very brief test). I haven't yet had an opportunity to try driving on the wrong side of a road...

These are only VERY INITIAL impressions, and I want to do some more tests, but my feeling is that - so far as my car is concerned - it is just VERY camber sensitive. I may change my mind after more driving. Is it annoying? No - only to the extent that it makes me worry in case it IS a fault. I certainly don't have to tug on the wheel to keep the car straight.
DITTO

LMB:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Drifting

Likewise:-
  • Mini One
  • December 2001 build
  • 15 inch alloys
  • Standard Pirelli Tyres
  • 1350 miles covered
Drifts to left quite rapidly if you release wheel. Can't be considered a "pull."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts