MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten somewhat use to the intial jerk on going forward in my 2005 CVT. But when going backwards, it seems the intial jerk is way worse then going forward, espeically since im usally backing out of a spot and going pretty slow and I need to hit the gas for a sec so I will move. Anyone notice this?

Howard

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Nope (in our '02).

How quickly are you applying throttle after Selecting Reverse?

Jerks usually occur as two action demands collide in the software. Does it still happen if you are very sequential with the gear lever and throttle pedal?
Park then Select Reverse, then apply Throttle?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm

Seems to happen no matter what I do. Usually put the car in reverse, start to coast backwards, hit the acceleration to move back faster (thats when it occurs).

Howard

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
howardpm said:
Usually put the car in reverse, start to coast backwards, hit the acceleration to move back faster (thats when it occurs).
Flat surface? In other words:
In Park, foot-on-brake,
Select Reverse, release brake.
-- the car starts to move backwards because of the Creep function (clutch engaged).
Now when you apply some smooth throttle,
the car jerks rearward?

A service call is warranted, I'd say, but it's the "hit the acceleration" quote that still gets me. How smooth do you think you're applying the throttle? Might you in fact be "hitting" it some (a momentary but sharp command to the software)?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm

Well I payed attention again this morning while backing out of my parking space. I apply the gas for a second or two to get some more backup speed then release it. Thats when the Jerk is, I'm taking my car in next Wed. for a few newly car fixes, I'll ask them to look at it and tell me if its normal.

Howard

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2004 MC has the same problem, it seems now that it is cold it is getting worse. Does not go into gear unless I rev it, then it jerks in.

WHat was your diagnosis from the dealer?

Maybe I can get roadside assistance to take it tge 100 miles to the dealer?

Lloyd

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well

The Mini dealer told me it was normal. :) He said many people are used to feathering the accelerator when reversing, and you can't do that with the CVT. Who knows.

Howard

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This problem you guys seem to be describing shouldn't be "normal"; that's a pile...

If the car is on a flat level surface and you Select Reverse; it won't "jerk" (movement of the whole car) into that condition. Same thing continuing through the Selections to arrive at Drive; it should take up that Selection, ready for input from your right foot on the e-throttle.

Now, if you mixing up inputs; throttle application as you make the Selection is but one example, then all sorts of behaviors may display to you, including a jerk.

Do you have v39.2 installed?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dunno

I dunno, how do you know what version is installed? I''m assuming its the latest, the car is on ly 3 weeks old

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It would be a very recent version, that's for sure. Next time you're in the dealership they can tell you, or call them (it's recorded with your car's data).

Let us know what they say about that "jerk".

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is not normal, that is for sure. It seems kinda dangereous if I dont't immediatly apply the brake the tires will screech. :confused:

·
I'm probably out motoring
397 Posts
I had this, the car would not move in reverse when cold unless the throttle was applied. Then the car would shoot backwards. After upgrading to the latest version (38.x?) this is gone. Sometimes I have to wait a sec, but the car will always start moving backwards without having to apply the throttle.

Bottom line: get a software upgrade.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've experienced this reverse jerk, but only when I've hit the throttle too quickly after selecting reverse. The car responds like I've increased the revs before the reverse 'gear' has taken 'hold' so it 'grabs' the wheels with the higher revs and causes the car to lurch back.... if I take my time when I hit the throttle after selecting reverse it's very smooth.

stop laughing, the description makes sense in my non-mechanically able head...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine does it in reverse and forward, actually had it in drive on a VERY slight incline and went backwards while in drive (20 feet), anyway Mini roadside will be picking up my Mini tomorrow for the 100 mile drive to the dealer. It never went into gear. I then put it in Neutral and rev'd it, then put it in drive and it went in gear.

I'll let everyone know what the problem was. It is positivley not normal (866-Ask mini confirmed it as well).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well it is at the Mini dealer, could not reproduce the "jerk" on day 1, but the next day it did it (Put in reverse and never go into gear unless the engine is rev'd), he said they will have to call Mini as to what to do. Stay tuned for a diagnosis. :rolleyes:

Well I guess Mini USA is off the week for Thanksgiving, the dealer will get info on what to do on Monday. :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well it is fixed, yes it was the transmission. Now it virtually goes into gear immediatly (maybe 1/2 sec)! I also do not get the yo yo feeling when going from a stop. :cool:

I thought they put new parts if under warranty, the cvt was remanufactured! :confused:

I've read lots of comments on here that it can take a few seconds to go into gear. IT SHOULD NOT!!!!

Only complaint is they did not refill my coolant reseviour and left a screwdriver in the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts