MINI Cooper Forum banner

Going to look at One tomorow...

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  DansMINIone 
#1 ·
Going tomorow (sat) to look at the MINI One with Abi for her next company car...

Not sure what spec or even IF she is certainly going to get one, but I'm looking forward to it anyone.

One major issue.....

What colour?!

#3 ·
Paul,my wife and I are going looking at MINIs tomorrow as well, its a second car for her, I fancied a Cooper, she prefers the One ( strangely enough, our dealer is pushing the One hard too, due to its second car status & her mileage around 6000 per year) - she fancies silver, with a sunroof and salt pack, with 8 spoke wheels - a basic specification, which the dealer reckons will hold its value pretty respectably. Only other car available at short notice is a fully loaded Cooper which pushes the price into the stratosphere.

Red might be nice too though ??......

#5 ·
Colours for the ONE

Mine's red without the chrome inserts on the bumpers. I've seen one in Indi Blue and it suits the car well - but you have to pay extra.

I think alloys are essential (has anyone bought a ONE with the steel wheels?) but I think the 15 inch spoked alloys look good and the handling's great on this wheel/tyre combo.

#6 ·
has anyone bought a ONE with the steel wheels?
I've seen a few One's at dealers with steel wheels but the majority had alloys. I've even seen a Cooper with steel wheels at a dealer.

While the cost does start to close the price gap between the One and the Cooper, I really think 15" alloys add so much to the car's appearance. If it were a choice between alloys wheels and metallic paint I'd get the wheels. For what its worth I prefer the 7-hole to the 8-spoke, but that's just my opinion.

#7 ·
Paul_Mullett said:
Chances are it will be pack-less, maybe even the steel wheels to keep costs down, and probably no chrome... so it really could be a REALLY basic One.

Abi seems to be favouring all black, or all yellow (non-metallic, cheaper).

:)
No!!!!! If avoidable, don't buy a MINI ONE without getting alloy wheels! IMHO the wheels make so much of a visual difference and the standard wheel trims do not make the MINI look stunning at all.

#8 ·
Paul_Mullett said:
Chances are it will be pack-less, maybe even the steel wheels to keep costs down, and probably no chrome... so it really could be a REALLY basic One.

Abi seems to be favouring all black, or all yellow (non-metallic, cheaper).

Go for the yellow. No extra cost, and looks wicked with a yellow roof. That's what I have, and I love it.

#13 ·
Salt pack looks pretty certain, as it is very good value.

The other possible options are 8 spoke alloys, aircon, sunroof. Or any combination of one or more of those!

Oh, and CD prep of course (well, it is free).

And TLC.

Oh, and I am insured to drive Abi's company car, BUT I can't see her letting me get behind the wheel as much as she does the Clio!

#15 ·
Salt pack looks pretty certain, as it is very good value.

The other possible options are 8 spoke alloys, aircon, sunroof. Or any combination of one or more of those!
What happened to the basic One in your original post?!

Has anyone seen a Mini without the silver interior?

#18 · (Edited)
On re-sale value - conventional wisdom is that you loose money on optional extras come re-sale, not gain. But with high spec Minis being the norm, "conventional wisdom" may not apply. It will be interesting to see if a Mini with £1,000 of extras is worth £1,000 more than a basic model in three or so years time.

On de-badging - I wonder if British psychology is different to German psychology. When the practice of de-badging arose in Germany, I read that it was the owners of top of the range cars who removed their badges, not the owners of bottom of the range cars. Maybe it started at the time when conspicuous consumption was not fashionable. Could any German members comment?

#19 ·
By re-sale I don't really mean value, I just mean chance of selling.

If you're looking for a car, there's one with say alloys and a sunroof for only a couple of hundred more than one with out, I THINK you would most likely spend a couple of hundred more pounds to buy the one with the roof and alloys, and the seller who doesn't have them may loose less money, but may not sell the car so quickly, or have to drop the price to counter act the lack of goodies.

Plus. as you you say, very low spec MINI's are VERY thin on the ground, in two or three years time I dont fancy chances of selling a MINI One with nothing on it at all.

#20 ·
Red & White Cooper 2 said:
....It will be interesting to see if a Mini with £1,000 of extras is worth £1,000 more than a basic model in three or so years time....?
That £1,000 of accessories will of course depreciate along with the rest of the car, and in 3 years time will perhaps only add £500 to the value of the car. But, if the owner enjoys the car more because it does have the extras (e.g. sunroof, HK system, etc.), then that's where benefit lies. :)

#22 ·
When I ordered my wife's ONE I wanted alloy wheels but didn't like any of the types offered so I thought I would buy some aftermarket ones. However, the narrowest 15" alloys I can find are 6J and the steels are 51/2J. This means buying new tyres which I'm not exactly over the moon about. Does anyone know of a source for 51/2J x 15" alloys?
Incidentally 15" wheel covers are as common as rocking horse doo doo.

Disgruntled of Wythall.

#23 ·
newminimark said:

Go for the yellow. No extra cost, and looks wicked with a yellow roof. That's what I have, and I love it.
I guess we're a little biased Paul but I prefer the Yellow over the Black any day!

The windows somehow look more tinted and the black grille is a great contrast with the Yellow - it all seems to band together in contrast with the wheel arch trims etc though. I think £80 is a worthwhile investment for the chrome though - when it comes to re-selling it, it may well be the deciding factor for someone who couldn't afford a Cooper but still wants the 'look'..:)

Have a look at my recent pics from yesterday's Yorkshire MINI meet if Abi needs any more pursuading?.;)

#24 ·
Get yourself over to Bishops Stortford J8M11 services on Sunday at 3pm. You will see an all Black, hopefully an all Red and the famous "Apple" plus with any luck, a few others.

Or,

save yourself a 100 mile round trip and just accept that the all Black MINI one is by far the best choice - with the chrome inserts and alloys at the least.:cool:

#26 ·
m1les said:
Get yourself over to Bishops Stortford J8M11 services on Sunday at 3pm. You will see an all Black, hopefully an all Red and the famous "Apple" plus with any luck, a few others.

Or,

save yourself a 100 mile round trip and just accept that the all Black MINI one is by far the best choice - with the chrome inserts and alloys at the least.:cool:
If you were to come over to Bishops Stortford on Sunday you sould be able to see a all red Mini becasue mine will be there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.