MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MINI owner
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something large thumped off my windshield a few days ago while driving through downtown traffic on the interstate. I didn't see where it came from, there was a truck a lane over and a couple of car lengths ahead, but don't think it came over from him. In any event, the result was about a 6 - 7 inch long crack..... interestingly no "star" or chip at point of impact, my guess it hit right at the edge of the pillar as there is a little scuff on it. Oh well.....at least it is being replace w/o cost to me.

Anyone have any difficulties when having their windscreen replaced? My MINI dealer said its a "typical" replacement.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Given how often they seem to break, it is a very common/typical replacement. Hopefully you'll get one of the newer rumored-to-be thicker replacements.

People complain they break easily and are expensive to replace. Besides that, its a simple fix, so I wouldn't worry.

·
MINI owner
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update

thanks for the assurances.....turn out I didn't get it done yesterday because despite the info I was first told, the glass they had available was NOT OEM, but Safe-lite glass. I'm sure it probably would have been okay, but with the "Beast" only six-months old, I still onlly wanted oem (and the installer agreed!) And knowing the problems that others have had with the "real McCoy", who knows how domestic replacement glass would behave?

·
MINI owner
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update 2: am I crazy??

The glass shop ordered the oem glass last week, it arrived, and I showed up at my scheduled appt 30 min ago. But even though the rep has asked me if I had the rain sensor (I answered no), the glass that arrived had one. I looked at it and decided I couldn't live with the extra 3 inch square of black that would extend down from the top center of the glass. I thought it looked too out of place, and probably would partially obscure my parking hangtag to boot. The shop had also pulled out the "premium" safelite glass, so I felt kind out snobbish to turn down 2 perfectly good pieces of glass, just to have every still "original" on my MINI. sheeeesh!

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Its not like the rain sensor glass isn't a MINI part, it just has that spot. Personally, I think the rain sensor glass is better, it blocks out the bit of light that squeezes between the two visors, even if you don't have the actual sensor there, there's less glare. Not sure about hangtags though, as I don't have one.

If its all installed and set I wouldn't really worry about it, you'll go crazy worrying about every little detail. Besides, if you've installed Chrome mirror caps, you're already different from factory, even if its a MINI part aren't you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.