MINI Cooper Forum banner

Good Insurers for Cooper S

5K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  SCB 
#1 ·
I have posted the following thread in the Finance & Insurance section of the forum, however i really would like specific MCS insurance information and reckon this thread will get better exposure in here....

In reading through the insurance threads i have managed to pick up a lot of information, one thing that is missing though is a complete list of 'good' insurers for specced up Mini's in the UK.

By that i mean UK insurers who wil acknowledge that the chili pack and other options are factory fitted, and therefore do not class them as modifications. Therefore in the event of a claim the damaged items will be replaced with chili pack items and not standard ones. (e.g. damaged S-Lite replaced with another S-Lite not a 16" X-Lite as some insurers are claiming)

At the moment i am phoning insurers to get quotes and i am appalled at the lack of knowledge and poor approach to this situation.

If by the end of this thread we could have a list put together of good insurers then i think this would benefit new owners and current owners when it comes to renewal .i.e saving a lot of time, money and effort by knowing who to call and who not to call.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I used to be insured with Esure, until I added a roof flag and bonnet stripes.

Esure decided that having them fitted, presented a risk issue, and delivered an ultimatum that they would not insure my car with them fitted. I had to postpone my flag and stripes until after my renewal date, and going with an insurer who was "flag and stripe" friendly.

When I was shopping round for a new insurer, I picked the three cheapest quotes, and rang them to enquire whether the body graphics would cause an issue.

Bell Direct said yes, and that they would increase the premium by £24 pa. First Alternative said, no way, but Sainsbury's Bank insurance said yeah no problem.

So that who I went with.......and they were £30 cheaper than my renewal too. (£372 fully comp, full business cover, 12k miles pa, protected NCD, and full NCD, oh and I'm 33 yrs young!)

Imagine my surprise when I opened the policy documents to discover, that Sainsbury's is underwritten by......you guessed.....ESURE!

I guess that under different brand names, Esure apply different underwriting rules......as my policy now includes in writing cover for: driving lights, roof flag and bonnet stripes!

Robert

#4 ·
I've moved this to the finance and insurance forum again, but with a redirect from the Cooper S forum to maximise exposure for you (it will still show on the Cooper S forum list).

I want to keep all finance/insurance stuff in here though.

As for the question, I'd advise everyone in the UK to at least call Liverpool Victoria. Great price, great cover... can't fault them (not had to make a claim yet, so cant comment on that side).

;)

#5 ·
Cheers Paul, i notice this thread has had a of views but not much response, still its a start. It should be beneficial for all once complete, a list that we can all use, so come on folks lets get em listed! (you too Henry)

So far...

Sainsburys - Optional Extras covered - NO LOADING of policy (Wobert can you confirm that they will replace your Optional Extras like for like)
Bell Direct - Optional Extras covered - LOADING of policy (Wobert can you confirm that they will replace your Optional Extras like for like)

Liverpool Victoria - Paul can you confirm whether they will replace optional extras like for like and if there was a loading on the policy please

First Alternative - Wobert not sure what you meant by 'no way' in your reply, can you confirm please.

Keep em comin!

#7 ·
bc_seventy_six said:
Cheers Paul, i notice this thread has had a of views but not much response, still its a start. It should be beneficial for all once complete, a list that we can all use, so come on folks lets get em listed! (you too Henry)

So far...

Sainsburys - Optional Extras covered - NO LOADING of policy (Wobert can you confirm that they will replace your Optional Extras like for like)
Bell Direct - Optional Extras covered - LOADING of policy (Wobert can you confirm that they will replace your Optional Extras like for like)

Liverpool Victoria - Paul can you confirm whether they will replace optional extras like for like and if there was a loading on the policy please

First Alternative - Wobert not sure what you meant by 'no way' in your reply, can you confirm please.

Keep em comin!
Sainsbury's stated that anything that was fitted over and above the available optional extras bought when new, would be covered, provided they had the details for them listed on the policy.

In my case I have spotties, stripes and flag, in addititon to the "extras" I chose when speccing the car. So my aircon, boost cd etc are all covered.

Esure / First Alternative didn't want to cover items that increased the potential risk to the car, they were both OK with the spotties, but both deemed the flag / stripes as increasing the risk of theft / malicious damage.

Bell Direct would cover the car as originally specced, but would charge extra for the spotties, flag and stripes.

BTW for me LV were around £200 more expensive than Sainsbury's / Esure / Bell.

Robert

#8 ·
Am 27 Direct Line insure me with my 22 gf on, I only thought about the flag spot lamps bonnet stripes afterwards, and also the fact i have both 16 x-lites and 17" S spokes, they said this was all ok and that they would add it to the notes on the policy.
Sometimes depends who you talk to though, there forever changing staff, so some of the people answering your call lacking exp will tell you one thing and someone thats been there a while will tell you what the last person said was wrong.

#9 ·
Direct line

been with directline a number of years now, they treated me fine with the Works conversion (up just 10%). When i have had to make a claim, they just sorted it out. Didn't care about the speeding fine either (although you do have to tell them...)

I think the way a company acts when you make a claim is how they should be judged. Theres no point in saving £50 if they are going to quiblle at the first sight of a claim.

I understand Liverpool Victoria are also very good, and they are very competitive. Next time my renewal comes up I will get a quote from them too...

#10 ·
Parc77 said:
Am 27 Direct Line insure me with my 22 gf on, I only thought about the flag spot lamps bonnet stripes afterwards, and also the fact i have both 16 x-lites and 17" S spokes, they said this was all ok and that they would add it to the notes on the policy.
Sometimes depends who you talk to though, there forever changing staff, so some of the people answering your call lacking exp will tell you one thing and someone thats been there a while will tell you what the last person said was wrong.
I have to agree with the depending who you get on the other end of the phone. but generally DirectLine have easily been the best insurance company i've ever used. And the cheapest for us under 25's. They seem pretty good about modifications if it doesnt affect the power output. But then I believe this gets easier when you turn 25. But they do cover all extra/options on the cars and include the chilli pack. This is actually a seperate option on the website. I dont like the way you have to pay more for having the chilli pack though..... but oh well. Its cheaper for then anywhere else. So ill be going staying at DirectLine when I get my mini again.... atleast at the moment I can hire cooper S's on my current insurance as a second car and doesnt cost a thing. Ohhh, just remembered.... one down side.. all cooper s's with direct line come with an addition extra £250 excess. think that was how much it is....... so if people like me crash its £750 for all claims! yikes!

#11 ·
my insurance is due on 30th of this month,so i have been ringing around for a few quotes.
i am 37 with 9years NCB and a clean licence.the car is garaged at night and is fitted with a tracker. i will list my findings below.these quotes are for my cooper s.

NORWICH UNION £469
D/LINE £531
CHURCHILL £432
PRIVILEGE £455
EGG £548
ADMIRAL £425
MINI £662
1ST ALTERNATIVE £357
PRUDENTAL £565

all these had £250 excess and did not have no claim protection.

regards
aston

#12 ·
ASTON said:
my insurance is due on 30th of this month,so i have been ringing around for a few quotes.
i am 37 with 9years NCB and a clean licence.the car is garaged at night and is fitted with a tracker. i will list my findings below.these quotes are for my cooper s.

NORWICH UNION £469
D/LINE £531
CHURCHILL £432
PRIVILEGE £455
EGG £548
ADMIRAL £425
MINI £662
1ST ALTERNATIVE £357
PRUDENTAL £565

all these had £250 excess and did not have no claim protection.

regards
aston
Looks like I got a bargain at £372........oh and I'm 4 yrs younger than you, with similar NCD :D :D :D :D

#14 ·
wobert123 said:
Looks like I got a bargain at £372........oh and I'm 4 yrs younger than you, with similar NCD :D :D :D :D
£372 is a very good price. i payed £380 the year before on my standard cooper :D ,but 1st alternative don't do mods :( so i would have to remove my spots,bonnet strips and roof decal. i will try some my company's today and post up the results :D what i don't understand is..........how mini insurance is so dear :confused:
regards
Aston

#15 ·
ASTON said:
£372 is a very good price. i payed £380 the year before on my standard cooper :D ,but 1st alternative don't do mods :( so i would have to remove my spots,bonnet strips and roof decal. i will try some my company's today and post up the results :D what i don't understand is..........how mini insurance is so dear :confused:
regards
Aston
Have you tried Sainsbury's Bank online?

#17 ·
Finally sorted myself out some new insurance, and the winner is Adrian Flux!
£500, excess of £200, both myself (26) and g/f (26) driving, 8 yrs No Claims (protected after slight altercation when they missed it out originally).
Have also declared the mods made to the car, and have agreed value on car, providing I send them 6 photos.
Downside being they send out a bit of paperwork you have to complete which I felt contained details that could have been given on the phone, but hey!
I do agree with previous posts that Directline are good, but after being insured with them for the past 4 years or so, they sent my premium up to over £900, even when an online quote had suggested £590, but I think because I claimed a windscreen on them and then for damage to my car by the company who they sent to fit the windscreen, they have just tried to claw back their cash. Nice try but I aint playing, goodbye Directline, c ya next year!

Scottybhoy

#18 ·
scottybhoy said:
Finally sorted myself out some new insurance, and the winner is Adrian Flux!
£500, excess of £200, both myself (26) and g/f (26) driving, 8 yrs No Claims (protected after slight altercation when they missed it out originally).
Have also declared the mods made to the car, and have agreed value on car, providing I send them 6 photos.
Downside being they send out a bit of paperwork you have to complete which I felt contained details that could have been given on the phone, but hey!
I do agree with previous posts that Directline are good, but after being insured with them for the past 4 years or so, they sent my premium up to over £900, even when an online quote had suggested £590, but I think because I claimed a windscreen on them and then for damage to my car by the company who they sent to fit the windscreen, they have just tried to claw back their cash. Nice try but I aint playing, goodbye Directline, c ya next year!

Scottybhoy
i got an online quote with them for £580.

#21 ·
I'm currently with Churchill which insure my Cooper for £380, i'm probably changing to an S next march. So i did a online quote and it came to about £560 which at first i didn't think was too bad. I've just done an online quote with direct line and there's came to £390. Only a tenner more, bargain if it turns out to be right:confused:
Just hope it's still that good next year..

Are Directline ok, never delt with them before?

:)

#22 ·
OK - just been trying to sort out my MCS insurance renewal. Currently with directline (good service for last 3 years) who cave me a renewal quote of about £700 (25, 3 years no claims, chilli pack). I noticed on the policy that they still had my old postcode on the renewal sheet so I phoned to query. In changing the postcode from a dodgy hospital car-park in Peterborough (yes, I lived in a hospital...) to a relatively good area in Nottingham, the premium jumped to £950!! :confused:

Best quote I can get is first alternative at £845. I asked the bloke on the phone about my bonnet stripes and he said they would be no problem. Given what other people in this thread have said I will check this again tomorrow...

#23 ·
Mini-Medic said:
OK - just been trying to sort out my MCS insurance renewal. Currently with directline (good service for last 3 years) who cave me a renewal quote of about £700 (25, 3 years no claims, chilli pack). I noticed on the policy that they still had my old postcode on the renewal sheet so I phoned to query. In changing the postcode from a dodgy hospital car-park in Peterborough (yes, I lived in a hospital...) to a relatively good area in Nottingham, the premium jumped to £950!! :confused:

Best quote I can get is first alternative at £845. I asked the bloke on the phone about my bonnet stripes and he said they would be no problem. Given what other people in this thread have said I will check this again tomorrow...
Huh? do you live in a really bad area of something??? whys it so expensive?

Here's an idea for you...... sign up on directlines website for home insurance....cancel your current policy when its renewal time. Then sign up again online and get your 10% internet discount + 5 or10% discount for home insurance... cancel home insurance next month.... well unless its better than your current insurance. There you go, you just saved....um.... a couple of hundred pounds I believe. Only this last year have i taken Directline's renewal fee as it was cheaper than the website.... god know why... But normally I cancel my policy and sign up again. Even a sales girl there said to do it as I found doing it over the phone was £300 more expensive.

#25 ·
BOYR4CER said:
Huh? do you live in a really bad area of something??? whys it so expensive?

Here's an idea for you...... sign up on directlines website for home insurance....cancel your current policy when its renewal time. Then sign up again online and get your 10% internet discount + 5 or10% discount for home insurance... cancel home insurance next month.... well unless its better than your current insurance. There you go, you just saved....um.... a couple of hundred pounds I believe. Only this last year have i taken Directline's renewal fee as it was cheaper than the website.... god know why... But normally I cancel my policy and sign up again. Even a sales girl there said to do it as I found doing it over the phone was £300 more expensive.
Not a bad area. At least not till I moved in... :D

I tried that with direct line - makes it a bit cheaper but not cheaper than first alternative. I already get the discount for home insurance with them anyway.

I guess I'll have to sell my flat and move back to Peterborough. :eek: :eek: On second thoughts, the extra £250 might be worth it.... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.