MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to face facts ~ I could no longer justify to myself (let alone my dear other half) why I should keep a brand new Cooper sitting on the drive, now that I work only 2 miles from home and walk to work about 3 times a week. Also the need to travel any significant distance is practically non existent and when we do its in hubby's diesel (due to ever increasing petrol prices and mpg economy).
So I bit the bullet and traded down (gotta keep my Independence, so having no car was simply not an option). I am now the somewhat subdued owner of a 2002 Liquid Yellow, Mini One ~ subdued only because it will take some getting used to (what the heck is that whirring noise on start-up). She is quite cute and has been well looked after (body work wise). Very basic, only a Salt pack ~ so I need to add a bit of bling here and there (already got the dealer to put chrome mirror caps on before pick-up). Just need a chrome front grille, chrome boot handle, clear side repeaters and a decent after market HU.
Obviously got some cash back on the trade-in, so a bit of dosh to spare and the rest goes back in the pot (damn credit crunch ~ ouch): Still, could have been worse, might have ended up with a Ka, or one of those Smart cars :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Coops, keeping a Mini sure softened the blow ~ just really loooooved my Cooper (but then new cars are always lush). I love the colour, its just a bit basic and of course the bhp is a lot lower (but as my OH says, you don't go far enough for it to matter) :rolleyes:

Anyway, the cashback will help finances right now and the OH will stop muttering under his breath (bless his cotton socks). Went for the One, coz of the colour, the price and wanted to try and get the max ££s back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks KB ~ yep, better another Mini than anything else and that's no disrespect to 'One' owners ;) In fact quite the opposite as I was quite impressed with the One, which is why I chose it.
Going to name her either Buttercup, Bumble or Daisy ~ just not quite made my mind up which best suits her right now.
She does make some interesting noises when in 1st gear and reversing, which by the way is a lot heavier than the Cooper. So I think she's showing me her own unique personality already.
I will post up some pics when I get a mo and already looking at the new Kenwood BT8141 bluetooth HU (oh, yes).
Must scoot through Mikey's Ministuff goodies and see what I can treat myself to ~ definitely want some clear side repeaters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What sort of deal was it ££££wise?
Not to go into too much detail ~ but I didn't lose out and enough to put a smile on the old mans face with comments such as "that'll buy me a beer or ten" :D:D and "Vegas, here I come" Seriously, it was more about the fact my Cooper was just sitting on the drive and a bit of a compromise, coz arguably I don't need a car, not for work ~ no kids at home, regular public transport in and out of the City blah blah blah........

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Fairy muff skat- glad you got a good deal! I like buttercup btw!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mini One

Hi

I have a mini one and love her, she is electric blue and I call her "bluebelle", I like the name buttercup for your yellow little number :smile:

I think the yellow minis look really cool and funky, they stand out in a crowd....you go girl !!!
:D

Michelle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Michelle, sounds lovely and I think the name bluebelle is very apt. I've definitely decided to call mine buttercup.
Have driven her for a couple of days now and gotta say the smile is back :) I am looking to install the new Kenwood BT8041 HU in a week or so and will get myself some clear side repeaters soon.
Just need to find out where to get a chrome boot handle and front grille and get someone who knows how to fit them and I'll be sorted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am glad the smile is back on your face :smile: This is my first mini, well I did have one way back in 1991, but I am talking about the new version. I am hooked I love MINI's, they are so funky and I absolutely love the way they drive,I don't think I will ever have anything else :D

I am like you, I love my "one" but am starting to get the bug to tart her up a little, chrome mirror caps, clear side indicator lights, maybe even white decals on the bonnet. The one's can look great with a few extras, I like you don't know where to get these bits from and who to fit them, so it looks like I may have to go to the dealer and pay top whack :angry:

My husband thinks I have gone mad, he says I am mini crazy and when I am logged onto this site he just rolls his eyes and says I am having a mid-life crisis, I got my mini 2 months ago, a 40th birthday present to myself he he !!

Try and post some pictures of "buttercup", I would love to see her

Michelle

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
At least you still have a Mini, but don't go spending all that cash back on bling, else you may as well have kept the cooper!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A headunit and a few bits of chrome won't dig into the cashback much :D and am not looking to buy and get fitted by the dealer ~ so looking after the £ps I can assure you.

Thanks Michelle, I will post pics soon ~ got some on my camera now, just need to remember how to post them. I too love driving Minis and agree they are such fun and why I was keen to keep to a Mini rather than trade in for anything else. I also love the fact you can personalise them and there is always something a bit different in each one you see about on the road. Stripes on bluebelle will look great and I think a bit of chrome wont go amiss ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I must admit I really have to agree, now that I've been driving a Mini One (well for me anyway). It does lack a bit of oomph on the old bhp, but that's the only difference I can honestly say that I've noticed so far.
I think it was that initally the One was a bit low spec for me ~ not that I'm complaining, again it's a Mini and how cool is that :nice: It was just my Cooper had a trip computer, chrome-line interior and exterior, AC, 17 inch alloys, stop-start etc. That said, as was pointedly made clear to me by my OH, in the few miles I now drive everyday, those 'niceties' are just that, nice to have but not essential.
Anyway, took buttercup into the city today and she drove lovely ~ have noticed that being yellow, people do tend to take a second look, more than when I had the BRG ~ and she was certainly easier to spot in the car park.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts