MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help plese! I just swapped my RF Pirellis for the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 (215/45/17) non RF tires and have problems. My '05 MCS now pulls to the right and the steering wheel isn't centered, even after an alignment. The shop I took it to told me that everything is on target and that the tire size (215 instead of 205) may be to blame. They rotated the tires to see if it would help, but all it did was add a vibration to the ride. Also, my car is now consuming gas like it was going out of style. It's a huge difference from what it was consuming with the Pirellis. Can this be because of the tires as well?

I went with these tires after readin all of the great review on this forum. I can't say that they're worth it as I've had a number of issues since day 1. The only thing that I love is the ride. It's so much smoother and my car doesn't feel like it's going to break into pieces when I go over bumps.

Any ideas on the pulling, alignment, and gas consumption? I'm considering returning them - any recomendations on tires?:puzzled:

Thanks for your help!

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
God i dont like the sound of that as i am about to get exactly the same in a couple of weeks

Cant be any help but i will be watching this thread to

I've been told that they dont come in a 205 version they only come in 215/40/17 or 215/45/17 so i dont think thats an issue

Good luck

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
I ran the same size of Eagles on my S spokes without any problem, as have a number of other forum members. If you have problems with the car pulling to one side I would ask a garage to check specifically the condition of the track rod ends on the car and not just adjust the tracking - it is possible that there is play in one or more joint causing the problem.

My S failed it's first MOT (UK road worthiness test) at three years old and only 20K on the clock because of a track rod end, no doubt assisted by the stickier Goodyears for the last 10K!

Chris

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
I have had exactly the same problems after having a new set of front tyres fitted. The car drove perfectly staright on its worn out set of tyres but as soon as I drove out the fitting station the car started pulling badly to the left. accelerating and braking made the car pull in different directions in a really odd way. After going back to the tyre fitters (Hi-Q) twice to try rotating them and even changed one, I went to a proper garage who immediately said that the one or both lower wishbones needed changing.
I agreed to have the work done as the car was so bad and the problem was sorted ............ the garage "suggested" that the tyre fitters may have jacked the car up in the incorrect place, proving it was another matter tho!! :angry:

Hope your solution is a cheaper fix. :smile:

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Celymoon - I would be amazed if the tyres themselves are causing the problems you are describing - it's much more likely that they are revealing a problem that was previously hidden by your worn tyres.

You need to take the car to a reputable garage and have them check it out. I can guarantee once it's sorted you'll love the Goodyears - better in every single way than the runflats you had on before. As for the fuel economy - you may find a slight increase in your use of fuel due to increased rolling resistance from the wider tyres (215 v 205), but this will be pretty negligible. The difference you're describing at the moment is more likely to be from the issues which will hopefully be identified by a decent garage!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I ran a set of the same tyres with absolutly no problems at all.
If you look in the tyre FAQ you will find that they are one of the most popular replacement for runflats

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
We've got those tyres on the BMW - they are excellent and last for ages - last set did about 5-8000 miles more than the p6000s before. So the tyres are good - maybe what James at Fomsport said is right - take them back and get the size he recommended. The chances are your speedo is out too!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 215/45s, these are in fact the more popular choice over the 215/40 if you consult the site FAQ ;)

I run the 215/40 F1 GSD3 here with no problems, so the 215 width tyre is not a problem on the MINI :)

Firstly, check the pressures in them - the Eagle F1s need to be run at a higher pressure than the regular runflat tyres due to their softer compound. I tried many different pressures as I've been running these on MINIs now for around 50k miles, and have found that 36 psi in the fronts, and 34 psi in the rears seems to suit pretty well.

If your tyres are underinflated, this could account for the wobbly handling and poor fuel economy.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I have had exactly the same problems after having a new set of front tyres fitted. The car drove perfectly staright on its worn out set of tyres but as soon as I drove out the fitting station the car started pulling badly to the left. accelerating and braking made the car pull in different directions in a really odd way. After going back to the tyre fitters (Hi-Q) twice to try rotating them and even changed one, I went to a proper garage who immediately said that the one or both lower wishbones needed changing.
I agreed to have the work done as the car was so bad and the problem was sorted ............ the garage "suggested" that the tyre fitters may have jacked the car up in the incorrect place, proving it was another matter tho!! :angry:

Hope your solution is a cheaper fix. :smile:
Mate, they have deffo screwed up your car. There is no way a properly aligned car can have that issue from just changing the tyres no matter what width they are!I always point out the correct jack points on the mini.

Once you have a quote from a garage that one of the wishbones is ruined. Go back and play hell!! That is shocking :(

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
To clarify ................... thankfully it was a company car and they just paid up. If it had been my car that they'd screwed up i'd be playing 'merry hell' with them.

Celymoon .............. any update?

·
MiNi2 dEmOn
841 Posts
I did the same by changing to these tyres and changed the size the same as you.

Fortunately for me, my MPG went up and the ride quality got better!

Sorry to hear about yours!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts