Votes: 2 12.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really am pulling my hair out over what tyres to go for in 17" non-runflat form on my Cooper D.

I'm considering...

Falken FK452 - I've heard very good reports about these in both wet and dry conditons. One review I read said they tramline though... really don't want that!

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 - Apparently grippy as hell but I've read reviews about them puncturung easily and not offering too much confidence on motorways etc? I once had a set of these on an Astra and didn't really like them but I put it down to them being 16" and the fact they'd been standing in a garage for about 12 months?

TOYO Proxes T1-R - Once had these but don't remember what I thought of them... which makes me think they weren't much good? :D

Let me know what you think

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Eagle F1's, had them on my last MINI, never any issues with punctures, great in the wet and dry, I'd have them again if I was running 17's:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... what size have you both gone for?

205/45?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
215/40 R17 - they don't come in the OEM size but these fit just perfectly.
Sounds like a good size... do they not look a bt thin on the rims though? I have a Cooper D that isn't lowered and I'm thinking it could look like it's on stilts? :)

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I am running Falkens on a GP and very happy, much better ride, good Wet & Dry grip, good wear rate and NO tramlining.

·
Registered
350 Posts
F1s.

I have them all round on my 2nd car. It really sharped up the steering, improved grip and made the car feel more planted (previous rubber was from 'Kleber' [german word for glue] ).
Unfortunately the Germans laws are ridiculously restrictive about wheel/tyre sizes on a car, and the F1s don't come in the size that is predefined for the Mini on 16" rims so I can't comment how they work with the Mini.

I'm Surprised to hear about your negetive experience with them. Are you sure the where the correct spec and manufactured in Germany. There was a big thing in some of the forums regarding a large batch of illegal F1s import from malaysia (or somehwere like that). They were intended for that market with a different rubber compound, different number of plys etc. If you are interseted I'm sure there was a thread here that mentions it or links to another forum with details...

Bottom line: I really like the F1 GSD3s

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mate it seems they both good tryes,Dont know if money is no object to you but you will find the f's are alot more than the faulkens and apparently wear out a lot quicker aswell

I can also now comment now i done 500 miles on my 452's that they dont tramline at all :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I went to a MINI dealer today and all the MINIs there had 205/45/17... thing is, this size of tyre LOOKS nice but I'm unsure how different the handling would be compared to a 215/40/17.

I know I shouldn't be thinking of sacrificing performance for looks but the MINI was designed around the 205/45 size and it's making me think I should stick with the stock size?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I've just ordered 2 Kumho Ecsta 205/45 17's for mine.

I already have 2 on the back. Feedback on these is pretty good, and they're reasonable pricewise as well :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just ordered 2 Kumho Ecsta 205/45 17's for mine.

I already have 2 on the back. Feedback on these is pretty good, and they're reasonable pricewise as well :)
I'm not a big fan of Kumho's to be honest.

I think I've made my mind up on Goodyear F1 215/40/17.

Only challenge now is to find them as cheap as possible.

Camskill seem to be the cheapest @ £81.00 per corner although that's not the XL tyre... don't know if I need XL with it only being a small car etc?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Wayne

After our conversation I went to look at my front tyres and was quite alarmed when I found no tread on the front left!!! :aargh:
So bit the bullet and brought 4 new Goodyear F1 GSD3 215/45/17 for a great price I think of £87.00 per tyre fitted.
Having them fitted on saturday, will let you know what i think.

I'm not a big fan of Kumho's to be honest.

I think I've made my mind up on Goodyear F1 215/40/17.

Only challenge now is to find them as cheap as possible.

Camskill seem to be the cheapest @ £81.00 per corner although that's not the XL tyre... don't know if I need XL with it only being a small car etc?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Wayne

After our conversation I went to look at my front tyres and was quite alarmed when I found no tread on the front left!!! :aargh:
So bit the bullet and brought 4 new Goodyear F1 GSD3 215/45/17 for a great price I think of £87.00 per tyre fitted.
Having them fitted on saturday, will let you know what i think.
Lol well I'm still no closer to making a decision! I'd like to see pics of yours and if they don't look too big I'll buy the same set up as you :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.