MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Indi Blue/White Cooper this morning, and LOVE IT.

I can't add a lot to what others have put - goes well, takes roundabouts at obscence speeds, and it gets LOOKS!!! Hello to the blonde outside Leventhorpe School - nice legs...

On a serious note I have 17" S-Spokes and the SS+ - there's not a real difference between that ant the SS+ with 16" wheels.
IMO the ride is very firm but never jarring, and the S-spokes in white look amazing - I'll do some pics tomorrow so you can all have a look if anyone fancys??

Right - off to try and take the M11 roundabout at triple figure speeds!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

P.S. No obvious faults as yet - it DEFINITELY drives straight!

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Nice one JV,
Will be seeing it real soon I hope !
Blonde at Leventhorpe eh' ? A schooly ? you devil !
The M11 roundabout was one of the first places I was silly in my mini, 4 up and it winging it between lorries van and allsorts !
Lucky bleeder...!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
JV said:

I can't add a lot to what others have put - goes well, takes roundabouts at obscence speeds, and it gets LOOKS!!! Hello to the blonde outside Leventhorpe School - nice legs...

On a serious note I have 17" S-Spokes and the SS+ - there's not a real difference between that ant the SS+ with 16" wheels.
IMO the ride is very firm but never jarring, and the S-spokes in white look amazing - I'll do some pics tomorrow so you can all have a look if anyone fancys??

Congratulations JV:D

Hopefully I will be joining you by the end of the week, if my car ever arrives that is:rolleyes:

Glad to hear it drives straight as an arrow, seems all the December’s builds are ok, fingers crossed mine is:p

Have fun!!

LMB:D

·
Registered
374 Posts
My December build Cooper has a drift (but not a pull) to the left. It may be due to road camber - I've yet to find a flat piece of road to test it on. As far as I know, there is no fix available yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Very cool JV, conrats! Glad to here that the car tracks straight! I can't wait to get mine. I bet the car will attract more attention than a Ferrari, from the opposite sex! Woo-hoo! :cool: :D :cool:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Spoolin' said:
I bet the car will attract more attention than a Ferrari, from the opposite sex! Woo-hoo! :cool: :D :cool:
Aye, that they do. Shame that they all appear to be too young for an old b*****r like me :( (Birthday yesterday - and feeling elderly).

And JV, RUN IT IN . Otherwise you'll be back here posting with a whole set of problems nobody else has ever come across, ;) . (And I used to live round the corner from the Beckhams flat in Alderley Edge. Whats the overpaid prima donna driving now? Nearly ran me off the road a couple of years ago in his Ferrari 550. Fool. At least he's better at his day job).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am running it in - tho I have to admit to letting it run up to 5,500rpm for just a sec, but otherwise strictly 4,500 rpm and preferably a lot less...what I lack at the lights I get straight back on the r-abouts.
As for women, after a whole day with the car I have already been chatted up once as a direct result of the MINI - GOD I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!! :D
As for the ride on 17" I've now taken it onto the M11 into London - a nasty old concrete bit of road for a fair way - and the car's ride is v.v.v. firm. On the smooth tarmac it feels like a very taut Mercedes, but on the rough stuff, particularly the slow-lane (yes, I know - I'm running it in!) it does get a bit 'lively' - not uncomfortable but it leaves you in no doubt that the M11 needs some work doing.
As for Dave Beckham he changes car more often than his underpants, but his missus always drives a BMW X5 reg Y1 DVB (David, Victoria, Brooklyn apparently) - and she doesn't hang about - I clocked her at near 110 on the M6 before following her nearly the whole way home....
Anyway, half hour before bed, so I might just have a quick go in the MINI...:p

·
Registered
213 Posts
JV said:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations!! I have a similar spec Cooper and it is tracking straight. I agree about the 17" SS+ not being much firmer than the 16" SS+.

Yep, all I want to do is find corners!!!:D

Cheers

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
A word of warning, when the BMW guys attach their computer to your car, they can tell if you went over the 4,500rpm whilst running it in - this could invalidate your warranty.

So, stop trying to keep up with posh spice in her bimmer!!

:)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Rev Police

monsta said:
A word of warning, when the BMW guys attach their computer to your car, they can tell if you went over the 4,500rpm whilst running it in - this could invalidate your warranty.
I don't believe this can be true:confused:

Is it legal for BMW to not honour the warranty?
If run-in rev limit is mandatory BMW should programme the ECU accordingly

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
monsta said:

So, stop trying to keep up with posh spice in her bimmer!!

That's VERY interesting......could you ellaborate a little monsta ?

cheers

·
Registered
612 Posts
News from the insiders on my books, they're not exactly rev police, they tell all sorts of things and yes if the car was obviously thrashed and a fault occurred and someone claimed it under warranty, questions would be asked, but you would have to seriously thrash it, I mean have seen how salesmen drive, and demos still get warranty work. Unless you're Juha Kankkinen (sp.) you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard this rev limit detection/warranty thing before, but I'm not sure it can be true on the basis that Shelley from Sewell MINI said to me, more or less as i drove off, "You don't REALLY have to run it in, but take it easy for the first 1,200 miles or so - just don't stretch it all the time".
Make of that what you will, but intend to follow the manual's advice about 1,500 miles being the period after which you can thrash it a bit more - however, if BMW turned around and refused to do work on the basis I had driven beyond the car's limit I would refer them to their dealership staff.
Anyway - I've given up on chasing Posh - I'm off to Chelmsford tomorrow night to try and pick up some teenie-boppers....

;) :p :cool: :eek:

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Chelmford 'eh ? Gotta take in Dukes right ?:)
As for the girlies they'd be more interested if you had a vision obscuing thick white sun visor on the windscreen !
Have a great night !

·
Registered
374 Posts
My sales-person also said there was no running in required when I took delivery. However, I have been keeping to the 4,500 limit.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Red & White Cooper 2 said:
My sales-person also said there was no running in required when I took delivery. However, I have been keeping to the 4,500 limit.
"No running-in required" = future engine work for the dealership after the warranty expires? ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
17's Tyres

Hi,

Went to the dealers today and noticed a MINI with the 17's which incidently i love and they look absolutely FAB.

I had a damn good look and noticed they had PIRELLI tyres with runflat written on the wall of the tyre.

Just a little observation.

Has anybody elses MINI got those tyres with the 17's..

Regards,

lol

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: 17's Tyres

lol said:
I had a damn good look and noticed they had PIRELLI tyres with runflat written on the wall of the tyre.

Just a little observation.

Has anybody elses MINI got those tyres with the 17's..

Regards,

lol
I hope my Mini doesn't come with PIRELLI tyres:( I have had them before and found them to be very poor in the wet.

cheers lol

LMB:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Got yer Mini then!

How r u doing?? I was down at Sewells on Monday and I think I saw yours being Pdi's and roadtested, lookes the daddy i must say. What speed did you get around the m11 roundabout in the end, I must go and have a go.(everytime I go round it the bloody traffic lights go to red!!) Leventhorpe seems to be the place to be then!, I went to school there I must pop in some time and say hello to them again(in my mini of course!!!) Hope you get on Ok with your mini and we will have to meet up soon

P.s Did I not tell you it would be worth the wait!!??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts