MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got pulled this avo for my number plates which are pictured below. i dont really have a problem with that as i know they are illegal and this is the second time i've been stopped. if i get stopped a third time from what i've heard it's a hefty fine and the dvla take the plate off you.

so, what i want to know is should i keep the plate, which when spaced correctly doesnt really mean anything but it will still be 'my plate' and i can take it from car to car. or, should i try n sell it as i know someone also called ross l****, who wants it and i mite be able to make a bit of money?

Attachments

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
maybes if you just had them as standard font you wont get pulled?

I kept mine as standard font, and added a space in between the M and the numbers...allthough not technically legal, I would be very upset if a policeman decided these were 'illegal'.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Sell it if you can, is my advice. It's not worth keeping it if it's going to mean nothing and moving a cherished plate from car to car is not only a hassle, but it costs £80 a time.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Fizzle said:
got pulled this avo for my number plates which are pictured below. i dont really have a problem with that as i know they are illegal and this is the second time i've been stopped. if i get stopped a third time from what i've heard it's a hefty fine and the dvla take the plate off you.

so, what i want to know is should i keep the plate, which when spaced correctly doesnt really mean anything but it will still be 'my plate' and i can take it from car to car. or, should i try n sell it as i know someone also called ross l****, who wants it and i mite be able to make a bit of money?
Personally I wouldnt risk it again... and as it doesnt mean anything really when spaced legally you may be better off flogging it then buying something else that doesnt need illegal spacing.... I have my initials on my plate * * ARL and then got smaller width plates, they still use the legal format font and correct spacing but are much smaller and less obvious....

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
So was it more than an on the spot cash fine>? How do DVLA know you've been pulled for this particular 'offence'?

I've seen 10 times worse than this mate.....

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had quite a lengthy chat with the 5-0 about plates and he said that they are really clamping down on them as they are using more and more technology that reads the number plate. when i asked about different spacing with the standard font he said personally he would have let me off but a lot of others wouldnt. the main thing i'm concerned about is gettin stopped for the third time and gettin fined.

as lmb says if i sell it it also saves me £80 everytime i change cars.

serves me right anyway, he spotted me coming out of the vw garage after querying about the new gti!! was quite funny as it was at the silverlink and he said he was chasing me round the car parks and i kept dissapearing. got me in the end tho!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Unless u have your eye on a better personal reg - get a second pair of plates made & use these for shows only

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tony*t3 said:
So was it more than an on the spot cash fine>? How do DVLA know you've been pulled for this particular 'offence'?

i never got fined, the policeman was sound, well apart from pullin me in the first place. i got a producer as i didnt have my licence on me and a form which you have to take to an mot station once you have the correct plates on and get it stamped and return to the police.

he said he could fine me but he'd let it go this time as i told him it was the first time i'd been stopped. he then went on to say that if you getted stopped three times the dvla can take the plate off you and dish out a hefty fine, thats probably the most extreme scenario but we all know how greedy the dvla are so you never know??

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
It seems some footballers are let off with much worse, There is a Black X5 round here that has serious tints and silver on black plates (vintage style)... and he doesnt seem to get pulled for it :rolleyes:

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,955 Posts
interceptor said:
How about change the Plate by using Legal Font and play about with the spacing a little less?
Completely agree

Ive had mine spaced which ironically makes it easier to see and read but contravenes the p$$$$$ng law :O

but the font is standard

once you play with the font your asking for trouble - ive had no problems (touch wood) and ive been in front behind and at the side of coppers :D

i would advise space but keep legal font - the rest is up to you ;)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
ButtonIt said:
Just put standard plates on, it's not worth the aggro from coppers ;)
Good sound advice :D

Keep the posh plates for shows etc....... not worth the hassle :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fizzle said:
if i sell it it also saves me £80 everytime i change cars.
I've had my personal plate on my last three cars, when swapping I always get the dealer to pay for the transfer as part of the deal. Sometimes means you have to settle for 6 months tax rather than a full 12.

I wouldn't swap your plate until you'd found another you were happy with though mate. Maybe go for some irish plates if you can't get any Brit ones you like - they can look a bit more exotic.

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers for all the comments guys. someone offered to buy it off me a while back so i think i'll get in touch with them to see if there still interested. if i get more than i paid for it, it'll go if not i'll keep it but spaced out as it should be ie. 'R20 SSL' then sell it when i find somethin better.

when the 55 plates com out i should be able to get somethin decent, 'RO55 ***' etc. only problem is i'll have to buy a new car to put it on!!

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
i actually think that your plate is fairly obvious, even if it was spaced correctly. as others have said, if you stick with the right font, you'll probably get away with the spacing, though it might be better to not go too mad :rolleyes: buggers the lot of them, nothing better to do...

·
Registered
765 Posts
MINIdreamin23 said:
whast wrong with those plates?? i don't get it?
In the UK there is a standard font and spacing between groups of letters and numbers. His plate is illegal on both counts. Some people like mis-spacing the plate to try and spell names/words, other people think they're tossers! You pays your money and takes your chances with the police/other peoples' opinions of you. I always wanted to get A55 OLE....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.