MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Have just had a bit of a shocker regarding brakes on my GP. Having done just 11k miles and after a "spirited" drive last weekend, the front brakes started smoking. On closer inspection the edges of the pads looked a little burned so I booked it straight into my local dealer on Monday. 2 hours later I get a phone call to say that pads & discs, front and rear need replaced at a cost of £590 :rolleyes: Apparently the discs were totally cooked and no use to man nor beast! Anybody else had this experience and is it worth sending a letter to Mini Customer Services.......surely a car of this nature is designed to be driven quickly......

Cheers :cool:

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
That is about right for parts and labor at a dealer. If you are handy with tools, you can save alot doing it your self.

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
why change rubbish with more rubbish? would be looking to upgrade at that sort of cost

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I guess my question is that should allegedly uprated pads and discs be giving up so easily?
Are they uprated on the GP? I didn't think that they were, I thought they were using the same ones as the rest of the MINIs. I thought the uprated ones were only JCW and even they are not that great.

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Crofty usually has cooked blue disks on his JCW kit. They really arent up to much as stock if youre a rapid driver/stopper.

GP came with the R53 JCW brakes on the front, and the JCW pads on the rear, like the normal R53 JCW brake upgrade kit.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I wonder if the new 4 pot JCW brakes will fit the GP, that would be a worthwhile upgrade.
I thought the brakes on the standard S were a bit weak so upgraded to the JCW and have been very happy with them. But the GP has another 55bhp and on average the owners must drive them harder else why buy one. So I have always thought they needed better than the original JCW's. I agree with GP1004 I would be looking to upgrade to the new JCW 4 pot fronts, bigger rears. I see they are a little under £1000 fitted (from a non-sponsor so won't give a link). Sounds like you have an excuse to upgrade not that I think you need an excuse :) .

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I have never had a problem with the brakes on either of my GPs

However I am running
R56 driiled and grooved front disks and standard R56 front pads
On the rear I am running JCM UK challenge grooved disks with Mintex 1144 Pads
I am also using MINI Challenge front brake vents from the behind the now opened up fake GP scoops

Are we sure that the New R56 JCW 4 pots will fit a GP with the reduced offset of the GP wheels??

·
Registered
36 Posts
I say go straight to AP Racing 4 pot, or even better 6 pot!

Forget about just upgrading discs and pads :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts