MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a GP for my next car after 4 and a half years in an Audi TT roadster (150bhp).
I have seen one advertised on the net for £15,950 with only 1,900 miles on the clock. This seems seriously cheaper than any others I've seen, given the low mileage. Does it sound too cheap? You know the old saying...if something seems too good to be true, it probably is:rolleyes:

I test drove one at Wakefield Mini yesterday (£17,995 with 8,000 on clock) and it felt really good - loved the seats, bags of room in the back for luggage with the seats gone, and then there's that crack and pop from the exhaust:D

...by the way, what does 'on the over-run' mean?

I think I owe it to my finances to check out the first one...the only downside is it's 166 miles from me.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
Best bet is to get reg number and phone MINI up and do some digging, that is a bargain, would of thought maybe 19000 miles at that sort of price!

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Thats the one Neil is buying me for my birthday :eek:

.....ok so it isnt :p But it was the one he showed me last night.....he said in another thread it was sold now, but he could have been telling me porky pies to shut me up :p

·
GP 56 MCK 0774
1,074 Posts
Looking at the other cars they selling looks like they just want a quick sale
Get car reg and go to local mini dealer
Talk to them nice and you might find out what you want to know

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
JCW Leather/Alcantara wheel too!! Someone has just got themselves a bargain if it was up at that price :)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,165 Posts
Wood Motor Company have a fantastic website. I've just been checking the used section on the MINI UK website and it's complete cack in comparison!

Sorry to hear that you missed this one. Are there any other options on the radar?

Tigger.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
not sure its a bargain, prices are dropping quite nicely now on the GP.

Thats the JCW pushing em down for sure. I think its about time the Slow GP's dropped their prices:eek::eek::eek:;)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,165 Posts
not sure its a bargain, prices are dropping quite nicely now on the GP.

Thats the JCW pushing em down for sure. I think its about time the Slow GP's dropped their prices:eek::eek::eek:;)
It's significantly cheaper than anything on the MINI Cherished website. The lowest mileage one there is 5,600 miles and it's over £1,500 more expensive.

I'm not too sure that many prospective GP owners would find the new JCW of much interest to be blunt.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
It's significantly cheaper than anything on the MINI Cherished website. The lowest mileage one there is 5,600 miles and it's over £1,500 more expensive.

I'm not too sure that many prospective GP owners would find the new JCW of much interest to be blunt.
A lot of the GP owners only bought the GP because it was the most expensive one they could get and was rare. The JCW has taken over that mantel , Its newer and shinier than the GP and thats all they care about, means more GP's on the market, ths cost goes down.

Also cherished will always be 1k-2k higher than private or non BMW dealer

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wood Motor Company have a fantastic website. I've just been checking the used section on the MINI UK website and it's complete cack in comparison!

Sorry to hear that you missed this one.
So am I!
Tempted by the GP at Wakefield Mini as it's the only one close to me, but there are others about with less miles for less money - the 2 at Aberdeen Mini for starters, but it's a long way to travel if I don't end up buying.
It will all hinge on me hopefully selling my Audi TT this weekend. Got 3 people interested in seeing it, so if it sells on Saturday I'll be carless, which may rule out the Aberdeen ones.

Anything I should be looking out for when viewing a GP? Any known problems? And how likely do you think they will be to discount given the current financial climate? I heard yesterday that it was the worst August for new car sales since the 1960s!

Can any of you tell me of your everyday experience of living with a GP?

Thanks

·
Giggity-goo!
2,670 Posts
So am I!
Tempted by the GP at Wakefield Mini as it's the only one close to me, but there are others about with less miles for less money - the 2 at Aberdeen Mini for starters, but it's a long way to travel if I don't end up buying.
It will all hinge on me hopefully selling my Audi TT this weekend. Got 3 people interested in seeing it, so if it sells on Saturday I'll be carless, which may rule out the Aberdeen ones.

Anything I should be looking out for when viewing a GP? Any known problems? And how likely do you think they will be to discount given the current financial climate? I heard yesterday that it was the worst August for new car sales since the 1960s!

Thanks

Some people have had issues with the paint around the fake air vents on the front bumper flaking off. Also there have been issues with the exhaust blowing. I've only had problems with the latter, but was sorted under warranty.

It is worth noting that the GP was shipped without an alarm. I can recommend Mike at NewMINIstuff to fit one for you - it may also help reduce your insurance.

As far as living with the GP goes, it is an excellent car. You have a decent sized boot, and as long as you don't have to cart any kids around, its not a disadvantage having only 2 seats. Petrol consumption will vary, but on a long run with cruise control set to 70mph you'll get over 300 miles out of a tank. Drive it about town or on a B road and expect around 25mpg and under. You'll have to take it sssslllloooooowwww over speed bumps.

Go test drive one, I'm sure you'll love it.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,165 Posts
So am I!

Thanks
Do bear in mind that a GP is a completely illogical choice. It's expensive, noisy, has too few seats and misses out on a lot of essentials, like a rear wiper and a glove box.

Logic would dictate that you would be much better off buying a used R53 Cooper S Works and, if that's just not fast enough, go and visit GT Tuning to sort out any remaining "deficiences" :rolleyes: ;)

So why would I still really love to own one?!!!! :confused: :rolleyes::D

Tigger.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It's expensive, noisy, has too few seats and misses out on a lot of essentials, like a rear wiper and a glove box.
You described some of the best bits! :p

Expensive - Residual Values.....
Noisy - Reduced soundproofing and a "Characteristic" of the car - brill!
Too few seats - Less chance of people blagging lifts :D
Rear wiper - Not really an issue, aero effects mean the rear screen dont get as dirty.
Glove box - two storage bins behind the driver make up for one glovebox.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts