MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just a quick one really, was in my local dealer looking at the new JCW model and speaking with the staff there, they had an open day with 3 new JCW 'son display.

Was talking to them and most where certain that the new JCW was quicker 0-60 and generally everywhere in the speed range quicker than the GP.

Was just wondering what others have heard or read anywhere. I just don't think that it would be true down to the GP having slightly more power and less weight.

Also whilst looking over the JCW noticed that the extremely nice looking Recaro seats do not come as standard which for £21k I would be expected at least full leather if not Recaro interior.
The salesperson asked if I wanted to trade my GP in against the JCW quick answer was a definate NO.

Kris

·
Registered
14 Posts
i was in the dealers sortin my paint work problems out on the bonnet yesterday and they had jcws in i ask for a test drive cause i heard they were on par with the gp but it hasent gp still got the egde!! and very pricey 2 by time uv got wot u want on it.!

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
I've specced up new JCWs and there comming out between £23-25K without any JCW parts on them. I would say a fully kitted out Works would be near £32K as a local dealer had a Stage 1 fully kiited out at £29K!

Recently there was a GP for sale was for sale locally for £20k with only 50 miles on it as it had never been registered. GP0505!

I think I would take the GP if it was a 2nd car! But the low road tax and fuel economy could sway me towards an R56 Works in the next year or so!

·
Speeding along...
18 Posts
I was in the dealer too last week getting some maintance done, and our dealership had JCW sitting in front. After talking to the manager a little, he offered up the keys and said take it for a spin. Its too cushy and to get the real deal, you have to hit the "fashionable" sport button which tunes the throttle response and along with the steering feel. It drove well, like all MINIs do, but the biggest thing missing for any top notch sport edition was the JWC suspension, an option.
It may have the torque and similar 0-60, but not the whole package in the terms of the GPs characteristics.
I think for the price difference, the GP was a bargain!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I had my drive of the factory JCW last week, the GP is still the better of the two IMO.

The factory JCW just is not as dramatic to drive or different enough from the R56 MCS for me:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I now own one of each,GP wins hands down in handleing as the JCW doesn't have the JCW suspension. The JCW does have a lot more torque and feels faster but acceleration flatens out around 5000 RPM, where my GP pulls hard all the way to redline. 0-60 times the JCW is about 6.2 and the GP is about 5.7. So my unoffical testing the GP handles better and is faster in stock form.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now own one of each,GP wins hands down in handleing as the JCW doesn't have the JCW suspension. The JCW does have a lot more torque and feels faster but acceleration flatens out around 5000 RPM, where my GP pulls hard all the way to redline. 0-60 times the JCW is about 6.2 and the GP is about 5.7. So my unoffical testing the GP handles better and is faster in stock form.
Very nice, keeping the GP for special occasions.

Kris

·
Registered
101 Posts
thou the new works as 206 1lb ft of torque compared to the 181 on the GP the new works as 208 BHP the GP 218BHP but the power to weight ratio 175 BHP/ton on new works 203 BHP/ton on the GP makes the difference also think the new works is over priced but I am going to test drive one shortly to see

·
Registered
18 Posts
thou the new works as 206 1lb ft of torque compared to the 181 on the GP the new works as 208 BHP the GP 218BHP but the power to weight ratio 175 BHP/ton on new works 203 BHP/ton on the GP makes the difference also think the new works is over priced but I am going to test drive one shortly to see
I do have a RMW (Jan) tune on the GP and have approx 235 BHP and 191 Ft lbs torque, otherwise it is stock. I do agree the new JCW is pricey ordered mine equiped similar to the GP and the JCW is almost 6K more in price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts