MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“You have to remember that Augustin (Delgado) was virtually up against their youth team. I have never seen so much acne on a football pitch.” Gordon Strachan

“I would have him (Smith) there for England ahead of Emile Heskey because, with respect, I could score more goals than him at age 56!” 1970s England striker Allan Clarke

Reporter to Newcastle's Shola Ameobi: 'Do you have a nickname?'
Ameobi: 'No, not really'
Reporter: 'So what does Bobby Robson call you?'
Ameobi: 'Carl Cort.'

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock, when asked what he would do if he was manager of city rivals Sheffield Wednesday.
'I would buy some bad players, get the sack and then retire to Cornwall'

'I would not be bothered if we lost every gamelong as we won the league.' - Mark Viduka (Leeds)

'If you don't believe you can win, there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day.' - Neville Southall (ex-Everton)

'We lost because we didn't win.' - Ronaldo (Brazil)

'I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable.' - Paul Gascoigne (Everton)

'I've never wanted to leave. I'm here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well.' - Alan Shearer (Newcastle)

'I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.' - Mark Draper

'You've got to believe that you're going to win, and I believe we'll win the World Cup until the final whistle blows and we're knocked out.' - Peter Shilton (ex-England)

'I faxed a transfer request to the club at the beginning of the week, but let me state that I don't want to leave Leicester.'
- Stan Collymore

'I was watching the Blackburn game on TV on Sunday when it flashed on the screen that George (Ndah) had scored in the first minute at Birmingham. My first reaction was to ring him up. Then I remembered he was out there playing.' - Ade Akinbiyi (Leicester)

'Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match.' - Ian Wright (ex-Arsenal)

'It was a big relief off my shoulder.' - Paul Gascoigne (Everton)

'I'm as happy as I can be - but I have been happier.'
- Ugo Ehiogu ('Boro)

'It took a lot of bottle for Tony (Adams) to own up.' - Ian Wright
(ex-Arsenal)

'Leeds is a great club and it's been my home for years, even though I live in Middlesbrough.' - Jonathan Woodgate (Leeds)

'I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel.' - Stuart Pearce (West Ham)

'I took a whack on my left ankle, but something told me it was my right.' - Lee Hendrie (Villa)

'I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country.'
- Ian Rush (ex-Liverpool)

Interviewer: 'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)

'If you're 0-0 down, there's no-one better to get you back on terms than Ian Wright.' - Robbie Earle (ex-Wimbledon)

'Germany are a very difficult team to play...they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

'I always used to put my right boot on first, and then obviously my right sock.' - Barry Venison (ex-Liverpool)

'I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet.' - David Beckham (Man U)

'The Brazilians were South America, and the Ukranians will be more European.' - Phil Neville (Man U)

'All that remains is for a few dots and commas to be crossed.' -
Mitchell Thomas (ex-Spurs)

'Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had.' - David Beckham (Man U)

'The opening ceremony was good, although I missed it.'
- Graeme Le Saux (Chelsea)

'One accusation you can't throw at me is that I've always done my best.' - Alan Shearer (Newcastle)

'I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd.' -
Johnny Giles

'Sometimes in football you have to score goals.'
- Thierry Henry (Arsenal)

'My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7.' -
David Beckham (Man U)

'I was surprised, but I always say nothing surprises me in football.' -
Les Ferdinand (Spurs)

'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked.' - Richard Rufus

'There's no in between - you're either good or bad. We were in between.' - Gary Lineker (ex-Spurs)

"My father was a footballer - he only ate peas because they were round."
Fabricio Coloccini.

"I'll be happy with a draw but if Germany surprise me I'll be happy" Franz Beckenbaur before Germany's shock 5-1 defeat to England that would have pleased him.

"Who is he?" Stefan Effenberg about Steven Gerrard before Gerrard scored the winner against Germany in their 5-1 win.

"Taking a point off a team who are in the UEFA Cup is no mean feat" Chas Arthurs, a Charlton 'fan' in Sport First after their 1-1 draw with.... Derby.

'Stockport usually play at Edgeley Park, but this time they've come to Maine Road, because, um, this is an away game...'

·
I Just Can't Get Enough
49,320 Posts
Interviewer: 'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)

I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet.' - David Beckham (Man U)

'My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7.' -
David Beckham (Man U)
How stupid is he?????? :p i have some big ron-ism's somewhere! :D

·
I Just Can't Get Enough
49,320 Posts
here:

Big Ron-isms - from the Footballing World

He can’t speak turks, but you can tell he’s excited

The 33 or 34 year olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next world cup comes around, if they’re not careful

There’ll be no siestas in Madrid tonight

They compare Steve McMananman to Steve Heighway and he’s nothing like him, but I can see why – its because he’s a bit different. They are both called Steve

In some ways, cramp is worse than a broken leg. But Leukaemia is worse still. Probably.

Despite his white boots he has real pace and aggression

Goalkeepers aren’t born today until they’re in their late 20’s or 30’s and sometimes not even then. Or so it would appear. To me anyway. Don’t you think the same?

The substitute is about to come on. He’s a player who was left out of the starting line-up today. There were others as well.

The ref was vertically 15 yards away. He has a moustache

England have the best fans in the world and Scotland’s fans are second to none

The tide is very much in our court now

Its like a toaster, the refs shirt pocket. Every time there’s a tackle up pops a yellow card, I’m talking metaphysically now of course

I’d love to be a mole on the wall in the Liverpool dressing room at half time. And not for the reasons your thinking Clive.

The game has gone rather scrappy as both sides realise they could win this match or lose it or draw it even

I don’t think there’s anyone bigger or smaller than Maradona. You seen the pictures as well Clive. Like an acorn I tells ya, just like an acorn

I know what is around the corner. I just don’t know where the corner is

You can’t do better than go away from home and get a draw

…..using his strength. And that is his strength, his strength. You could say that is his strong point.

Chile have three options – they could win or they could lose. Its upto them, the tide is in their court now

I came to Nantes two years ago and its much the same today, except that it is totally different. The red light district is still the same mind you.

Argentina are the second best team in the world, and there’s no higher praise than that

A tremendous strike which hit the defender on the arm – and it nearly came off

The good news for Nigeria is that they are 2 nil down very early in the game

That decision, for me, was almost certainly definitely wrong

I think Ron will be pulling him off at half time and no mistakin

You’d have thought the Moroccans would have learnt their lesson by now. You can’t win games without scoring goals

You’d have thought the Cameroonians would have learnt their lesson by now. You can’t get away with such brutal tackles. Its just not cricket you know.

·
I Just Can't Get Enough
49,320 Posts
minigolf said:
Don't forget the greatest of all from Bill Shankly ... "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. ... I can
assure you it is much more important than that."
never a truer word spoken by the greatest manager EVER :D Hail Shanks :D

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about a few Keeganisms just to finish things off completely :) :D

'It's like a toaster, the ref's shirt pocket. Every time there's a tackle, up pops a yellow card.'

'The ref was vertically 15 yards away.'

'There are two schools of thought on the way the rest of this half is going to develop; everybody's got their own opinion...'

'I don't think there's anyone bigger or smaller than Maradona.'

'England can end the millenium as it started - as the greatest football nation in the world.'

'I'm not disappointed - just disappointed.'

'The tide is very much in our court now.'

'Chile have three options - they could win or they could lose.'

'That would have been a goal if it wasn't saved.'

'I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today, except that it's totally different.'

'A tremendous strike which hit the defender full on the arm - and it nearly came off.'

'The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game'

'The substitute is about to come on - he's a player who was left out of the starting line-up today.'

'I know what is around the corner - I just don't know where the corner is. But the onus is on us to perform and we must control the bandwagon.'

'Hungary is very similar to Bulgaria. I know they're different countries...'

'The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful.'

'England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are second-to-none'

'It's understandable that people are keeping one eye on the pot and another up the chimney.'

'I'd love to be a mole on the wall in the Liverpool dressing room at half-time.'

'It could be far worse for me if it was easy for me.'

'Young Gareth Barry - he's young'

'They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that.'

'You're not just getting international football, you're getting world football'

'Luis Figo is totally different to David Beckham, and vice versa'

'They don't come every three days, like they come after this one'

'I want more from David Beckham. I want him to improve on perfection.'

'There's a slight doubt about only one player, and that's Tony Adams, who definitely won't be playing tomorrow.'

'We have spent three matches chasing a football.'

'It's no longer an 11 man game.'

'The Germans only have one player under 22, and he's 23'

'I've had an interest in racing all my life, or longer really.'

'We managed to wrong a few rights.'

'I'll never play at Wembley again, unless I play at Wembley again'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
minigolf
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing